A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

Old August 6th 13, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

On Monday, August 5, 2013 6:31:10 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Hi Steve. I do not. But in watching it and replaying my flights for fun I think it is a fairly instant ground speed (thx), not sure of the time used to calculate this. Basically you can see 40-50 in thermals and 70-90 on the run usually, +/- 15 knots for wind.

Thinking it is about time for me to update some technology devices. Once deactivated, think SPOT will make a good wheel chock?
Old August 7th 13, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:31:37 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2013 6:31:10 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

Hi Steve. I do not. But in watching it and replaying my flights for fun I think it is a fairly instant ground speed (thx), not sure of the time used to calculate this. Basically you can see 40-50 in thermals and 70-90 on the run usually, +/- 15 knots for wind.

Thinking it is about time for me to update some technology devices. Once deactivated, think SPOT will make a good wheel chock?

I assume the altitude is GPS altitude? something to keep in mind, as GPS altitude can be as much as 1000 feet higher around 18K, which will often look like busting class A...

Ramy
Old August 8th 13, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Ramy,

Yep, GPS altitude and good point. Fortunately the ultimate determinant of class A busting is the flight log which is pressure based.

I guess we will simply need to educate ourselves on that point moving forward so spectators do not get nervous.

Sean
Old August 8th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

I have the new 'SE' Delorme InReach hardware and it exceeds my expectations! The ability to change reporting frequency in a few button depressions is impressive. It also links to your mobile device as the older unit does for longer messages. Finally, it is about 1/2 the size!

5 stars!

Sean
Old August 8th 13, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

I'm pleased with mine. The rechargeable battery life is great. After a recent 7 hour flight at 5 minute intervals, the battery indicator said 93% remaining at the end of the day.

Only four stars here though. Typing a unique message without the smartphone link using the rocker switch is just horrendous. They could have done better in that department. I suppose it's a good thing that at least the capability is there if the phone is dead or absent.