DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

Old August 6th 13, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

On Monday, August 5, 2013 6:31:10 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Hi Steve. I do not. But in watching it and replaying my flights for fun I think it is a fairly instant ground speed (thx), not sure of the time used to calculate this. Basically you can see 40-50 in thermals and 70-90 on the run usually, +/- 15 knots for wind.

Thinking it is about time for me to update some technology devices. Once deactivated, think SPOT will make a good wheel chock?
Old August 7th 13, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:31:37 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2013 6:31:10 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

Hi Steve. I do not. But in watching it and replaying my flights for fun I think it is a fairly instant ground speed (thx), not sure of the time used to calculate this. Basically you can see 40-50 in thermals and 70-90 on the run usually, +/- 15 knots for wind.

Thinking it is about time for me to update some technology devices. Once deactivated, think SPOT will make a good wheel chock?

I assume the altitude is GPS altitude? something to keep in mind, as GPS altitude can be as much as 1000 feet higher around 18K, which will often look like busting class A...

Ramy
Old August 8th 13, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Ramy,

Yep, GPS altitude and good point. Fortunately the ultimate determinant of class A busting is the flight log which is pressure based.

I guess we will simply need to educate ourselves on that point moving forward so spectators do not get nervous.

Sean
Old August 8th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I have the new 'SE' Delorme InReach hardware and it exceeds my expectations! The ability to change reporting frequency in a few button depressions is impressive. It also links to your mobile device as the older unit does for longer messages. Finally, it is about 1/2 the size!

5 stars!

Sean
Old August 8th 13, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

I'm pleased with mine. The rechargeable battery life is great. After a recent 7 hour flight at 5 minute intervals, the battery indicator said 93% remaining at the end of the day.

Only four stars here though. Typing a unique message without the smartphone link using the rocker switch is just horrendous. They could have done better in that department. I suppose it's a good thing that at least the capability is there if the phone is dead or absent.

DeLorme inReach SE units now in stock Paul Remde Soaring 1 July 4th 13 01:05 AM
Delorme InReach reporting elevation or altitude ?? [email protected] Soaring 6 March 3rd 13 04:57 PM
DeLorme inReach Paul Remde Soaring 8 February 12th 13 07:26 PM
Any user reports on Delorme Inreach? Steve Koerner Soaring 8 March 16th 12 06:51 PM
More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 12 October 8th 11 05:50 AM