Oudie2 - V7 - PowerFlarm Core setup (cabling question)

Old March 2nd 14, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ES

Default Oudie2 - V7 - PowerFlarm Core setup (cabling question)

The V7 manual shows a few sample configurations, but not one with a PowerFlarm Core.

Are any special cables required?

Does the PF Core get its power through the V7 or does it require its own?
Old March 2nd 14, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:02:33 PM UTC-7, ES wrote:
The V7 manual shows a few sample configurations, but not one with a PowerFlarm Core.

Are any special cables required?

Does the PF Core get its power through the V7 or does it require its own?

I know a guy that has this set up (Me). I powered the Core and the Oudie with the V7 which is the easier way to go. When I programed the Core I switched the ports so the RG port went to a LXNav Flarmview and the DB went to the V7. This way the V7 gets GPS from the Core and sends it to the Oudie (Along with TAS). Tell your supplier when you order your PF and V7 and they can supply the appropriate cablege
Old March 2nd 14, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Take a look at Section 8.4.1.1.2 GPS port (RJ11) of the V7 manual. In the V2.02 manual this is on page 35.

This section shows the pinout arrangement for the GPS port on the back of the V7.

The port is capable of sending 12 V out to power the GPS and send data to the GPS and receive data from the GPS. Below is the table copied from the manual:
Pin number Description
1 (output) 12V DC, to supply GPS
2,3 N.C.
4 (input) Receive to LXNAV V7 RS232 (e.g.NANO power 232)
5 (output) Transmit from LXNAV V7 RS232 (e.g.NANO power 232)
6 Ground

When you purchase the V7, a GPS cable is included in the package and if you specify that you are using the powerflarm, the correct cable will be delivered otherwise you will receive the default IGC cable.

The PDA cable is not included in the package, and for the Oudie 2, you will need to purchase the V7 Oudie cable.

Look at the cable table at the bottom of the V7 page on my website:

www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/lx-nav/v7-vario

This shows you some of the available connection and cable options for the V7.
Old March 2nd 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ES

Thanks Dave. My glider came wired for Oudie2 - V7 - Nano but without the Nano. When I order the PF Brick I want to make sure that I get everything I need.
Old March 3rd 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Happy to help.

All you will need is to replace the Nano cable with the Powerflarm cable.

I recommend getting the V7-GPS-PFCORE cable with the DB9 connector for the Power flarm. This will leave the RJ45 port on the Powerflarm available to connect a Buterfly or Flarmview display.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can make you own cable with the pinout above for the V7 end and the details in the PF manual for the PF end.