Lightning Strikes Gliders

Old July 8th 05, 03:46 PM
GM

Default Lightning Strikes Gliders

Hello all in US-gliderland,
Some time ago, there was an interesting article in Soaring about a
glider being struck by a lightning. I seem to remember a photos of
scourched sneakers, a blown out canopy and other damage. Can anybody
tell me which issue of Soaring this was or if this article is available
online?

Thanks,

Uli Neumann

Old July 8th 05, 04:19 PM
Marian Aldenhövel

Hi,

Some time ago, there was an interesting article in Soaring about a
glider being struck by a lightning.

I remember a report on an ASK-21 struck by lightning in the UK. I
have bookmarked

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ty_500699.hcsp

but that link does not work at the moment.

http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~cline/...t%20report.htm

Seems to have the same report I recall.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
Old July 8th 05, 04:19 PM
Chris Reed

This almost certainly refers to the UK K21 incident in 1999. I don't
know about the Soaring article, but the UK Air Accident Investigation
Board report is at:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_500699.pdf

Unfortunately the diagrams and pictures which were accessible when the
report first came out are not included in the .pdf.

Old July 8th 05, 04:46 PM
SAM

It was in 2002. The author/pilot is Ken Sorenson.
I found it on this on-line index
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/Soaring...2_subject.html

Old July 8th 05, 05:09 PM

SAM wrote:
It was in 2002. The author/pilot is Ken Sorenson.
I found it on this on-line index
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/Soaring...2_subject.html

In addition, there was a lengthy write up in George Thelen's safety
column in Soaring which is where I recall seeing the scorched sneakers
photo. The pilot was, indeed, Ken Sorenson.

From the online index, I think it was Oct. 1996 but I'd have to check

my magazine archive at home. The staff at the SSA should be able to
help you.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old July 8th 05, 05:15 PM
Bob Johnson

GM wrote:
Hello all in US-gliderland,
Some time ago, there was an interesting article in Soaring about a
glider being struck by a lightning. I seem to remember a photos of
scourched sneakers, a blown out canopy and other damage. Can anybody
tell me which issue of Soaring this was or if this article is available
online?

Thanks,

Uli Neumann

Here's a good writeup, UK in 1999 ----

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resou...pdf_500699.pdf

Bob Johnson
Old July 8th 05, 07:02 PM
GM

Thanks, Brent. That was the one I was looking for. The one about the
British K21 is also very educational.
Thanks to all that resonded.

Uli Neumann

Old July 9th 05, 01:11 AM
Bill Daniels

"GM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all in US-gliderland,
Some time ago, there was an interesting article in Soaring about a
glider being struck by a lightning. I seem to remember a photos of
scourched sneakers, a blown out canopy and other damage. Can anybody
tell me which issue of Soaring this was or if this article is available
online?

Thanks,

Uli Neumann

Did you see some BIG SPARKS lately, Uli?

Bill Daniels

Old July 10th 05, 12:01 PM
......... :-\)\)

A glider is an interesting from the point of view of lightning.

The pilot sits in one of the lightning zone 1 area (i.e. the nose area)
which is prone to direct lightning strike attachment. In more more
conventional light aircraft the cabin is generally in zone 2 which is
subject to flash over only ... not direct attachment.

If lightning strikes an unprotected composite aircraft such as the forward
fuselage of a glider it will in all likelihood blow a hole through the skin
and attach to something metal (such as the rudder pedals). The arcing /
plasma etc can then cause an expansion of the air in the cavity (cockpit).
This phenomina has been responsible for blowing radomes off the nose of jet
aircraft. I assume that this is what blew the canopy out on this glider (I
still need to read the reports).

Composite structures in powered aircraft and helicopters are normally
protected from direct lightening strike in Zone 1 via a fine copper or
aluminium mesh embedded in the laminate (outer layer). These meshes are
generally manufactured by one of a couple of companies (Astrostike or
Exmet). The certification standards for gliders (JAR 22) do not however
require this as does say FAR 23 for light aircraft. It would be interesting
to know if these are isolated incidents (after all gliders don't make a
habit of flying near thunder clouds) or if it is more common than we might
all have imagined.

Old July 10th 05, 12:33 PM
Derrick Steed

It would be interesting
to know if these are isolated incidents (after all gliders don't make a
habit of flying near thunder clouds) or if it is more common than we
might
all have imagined.=20
################################################## ####################

Try reading Philip Wills book in which he describes taking a wooden
glider into a CuNim and the consequences of that action - he landed the
glider, but it was a write off.

In the UK, it isn't always obvious that the large cloud you are under
has turned into a monster, although the first indication is usually the
difficulty one has in staying clear of it due to the off the clock lift
one encounters in that situation.

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Do you like gliders but hate FAA checkrides? Bruce Hoult Soaring 8 August 13th 04 05:14 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM