LS6-b tail tank leak fix

Old August 18th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default LS6-b tail tank leak fix

Anyone have experience fixing a leaking LS6-b tail ballast tank?
After a few seasons of non-use ( Eastern US dry contests, so dry
practice...), I found that I now have a very leaky tail (the gliders',
dammit!)

Is it possible to get the tank out (from the top, perhaps) without
major surgery?

JJ, your thoughts?

TIA,

Kirk
66
Old August 18th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Aug 18, 8:14*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Anyone have experience fixing a leaking LS6-b tail ballast tank?
After a few seasons of non-use ( Eastern US dry contests, so dry
practice...), I found that I now have a very leaky tail (the gliders',
dammit!)

Is it possible to get the tank out (from the top, perhaps) without
major surgery?

JJ, your thoughts?

TIA,

Kirk
66

The whole tank can be removed after prying the top lip away from the
fin (epoxy'd) and removing the cable and exit tube which should be
accessible after removing the rudder. I'd tie a string onto the exit
tube so's you can fish it back down the fin afterwords. Big job, I'd
make sure the tank is leaking and not the hose or valve which can be
fixed in place.
Have fun,
JJ
PS, The Genesis has a nost tank! Yep even though the wing is swept
forward a tad, the CG goes aft when wing water goes in, so I have a 6
Qt. nose tank. I didn't believe it at first, but the 'D' tube is about
12" deep making the CG of the water about 6" aft and the ideal flying
CG is 4.75", so it goes aft with water and a nose tank is needed.
Old August 19th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack[_2_]

The odds are it's not the fiberglass tank that's leaking, but the hose where
it attaches to the tank and the shutoff valve. Either way, you'll have to
take the rudder off to access things.

J4