DC pilots (update)

Old May 14th 05, 03:18 PM
Gary Drescher

"Michelle P" wrote in message
k.net...
If the TSA is any indication of the damage done by these two will be short
lived. THey realize it was the actions of two idiots and not the rest of
us.

Why do you disparage the student-pilot passenger? The FAA and AOPA have
instead praised his "valiant effort" to take over when the PIC faltered,
according to the article Hilton cited.

--Gary

Old May 15th 05, 05:21 PM
Thomas Borchert

Gary,

Why do you disparage the student-pilot passenger?

Because he didn't intervene earlier. Seems obvious...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 15th 05, 05:36 PM
Gary Drescher

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Gary,

Why do you disparage the student-pilot passenger?

Because he didn't intervene earlier. Seems obvious...

What evidence is there as to what he did or didn't do?

For all we know, he might simply have been taking a nap when the flight
began. There'd be nothing improper about that. He was a non-pilot passenger.

Or for all we know, he might have been making correct navigational
suggestions that the PIC didn't heed.

Or even if the passenger tried to help navigate but was just as lost as the
PIC, that wouldn't necessarily speak poorly of his progress as a student
pilot. Had he already been endorsed for solo cross-country flights? If not,
there should be no expectation that his current training enables him to
navigate reliably.

--Gary

Old May 16th 05, 10:14 AM
Thomas Borchert

Gary,

What evidence is there as to what he did or didn't do?

The plane flew where it flew.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 17th 05, 02:09 PM
Peter R.

Thomas wrote:

Because he didn't intervene earlier. Seems obvious...

Isn't there a well-documented cockpit phenomenon that occurs when
coupling a very green pilot with a very experienced pilot, something
about the inexperienced one being afraid to point out the mistakes of
the experienced one?

--
Peter

Old May 17th 05, 02:27 PM
Gary Drescher

"Peter R." wrote in message
ups.com...
Thomas wrote:

Because he didn't intervene earlier. Seems obvious...

Isn't there a well-documented cockpit phenomenon that occurs when
coupling a very green pilot with a very experienced pilot, something
about the inexperienced one being afraid to point out the mistakes of
the experienced one?

Plus, the passenger wasn't even a pilot yet. And there's no evidence that he
*didn't* point out the PIC's mistakes.

--Gary

Old May 14th 05, 10:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

The PIC was in his 70's. I imagine he's done either way.

Old May 17th 05, 07:13 AM
John Lakesford

Funny, and I really did laugh at that.

However, I am in my 70's and I have been flying since 1958. I don't get off
course, I know where I am whenever I fly, and I live near DC. But the
difference is, I don't immediately attack and call pilots who make mistakes,
even one as severe as this, idiots or some of the other names bantered about
here.

I guess that is because I have made some real doozy mistakes flying from
time to time.

I really wonder if you guys are that good, I mean, to never have made a huge
mistake, alone these lines?

If not, I guarantee one day you will. We all do.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
The PIC was in his 70's. I imagine he's done either way.

Old May 17th 05, 09:34 AM
Thomas Borchert

John,

If not, I guarantee one day you will. We all do.

You are, of course, right. However, there are huge mistakes, and then
there are HUGE mistakes. What makes this mistake REALLY HUGE and what
makes many pilots here get very excited about it, is the fact that it
is highly likely the flying all of us do will suffer from that one
mistake of one pilot. That is the difference. It's big, IMHO.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 14th 05, 09:47 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-05-14, Hilton wrote:
- Came very close to being shot down

From the article:

| The most dangerous breach occurred when Sheaffer crossed into Prohibited
| Area P-56, no-fly airspace covering the White House and the Naval
| Observatory. The Cessna passed over that area while being escorted away
| by the Black Hawk.

I'm not sure which part they're calling dangerous -- that a heavily
armed and almost fully fueled helicopter passed over the White House
or that the pilot of a US military aircraft was stupid enough to
escort a perceived threat right to the heart of the city...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/