Ag plane for recreational flying

Old April 30th 21, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ralph Greenburg

Default Ag plane for recreational flying

On Friday, January 4, 2002 at 5:45:06 PM UTC-6, Tina Marie wrote:
In article ,
Jay Honeck wrote:
I guarantee that NOTHING looks more fun (or more dangerous) than flying one
of those big ol' crop-dusters. Man, if you can really find a good one for
$30K, they sure look like a great ride!

I saw an AgCat online a while back, with a big engine, modified to take
3 people, with clipped wings - the owner claimed it was an incredible
acro ship. He wanted $68K for it, IIRC.
I looked into a Pawnee as a run-about a while back. You can get them
pretty cheap. I even found a place in IN (maybe Michigan, now that I
think about it), that would restore it to your specs. I would have
done it, but I ended up buying a Tripacer instead.
I love the Pawnees - they're fun to fly, but forgiving. All those crop
dusters are built so you can still land them after spending 12 hours
in the air...
Tina Marie
--
Sometimes I think the Game of Life (tm) is missing a few pieces and one of
the dice is lost under the refrigerator. -- PapaBear, in alt.poly.

My dad used to put on excellent aerobatic demonstrations in his 300 Agwagon.. He was a duster pilot with thousands of hours in everything from Cubs to P 51s. In the 60s he owned an SNJ but traded it for a T28A. He started cropdusting in the 1950s in Cubs and Stearmans. My grandfather bought 3 of the first 10 Snow S2 A models ever built. You will love the Agwagon but boy is it loud. There may be a different propeller available now that is quieter but the originals were earsplitting. At different times dad had a Staggerwing Beech, a DC3, a Centurion, a 402, and a P58 Barron. His last plane was a Piper Malibu. I think his favorite was the Staggerwing D17S. He always said "nothing snap rolls ike an SNJ/T-6.