How does one obtain the best glider trailer tire performance and safety?

Old July 9th 14, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default How does one obtain the best glider trailer tire performance and safety?

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:49:17 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
doesn't carry the "ST" trailer

Since all ST tires are rated to only 65 mph,
I conclude that ST stands for S--tty Tire.

Slightly more humourous, I was looking for a DOT number to determine the age of my spare tire. No DOT number found, but it did say MADE IN POLAND (in English). So based on 1999 date of import, the spare is 15 years old! It is flat of course.
Old July 9th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 7/8/2014 5:22 PM, 2G wrote:
Snip...
One last thing: before leaving on my latest trip I made sure I could
actually change the trailer tire with the tools I carry. Found out I
couldn't break the nuts on the wheel with socket wrench because they were
torqued so tight, so I threw in a breaker bar. Ended up using it in
Parowan, UT to help another pilot fix his DG808C.

Prudent thinking!

Years ago I got into the habit of - upon returning home - removing and
retorquing (by hand, with the [star] wrench[es] in my [appropriate] kit[s])
any lug nut to which an air wrench was applied.

My experience has been that any lug nut receiving an "appropriate torque"
simply does not loosen on its own, while those receiving torque above your
ability to loosen with the technology at hand may not loosen at all...

I've had shops under-torque and over-torque lug nuts.

The former wasn't fun when playing "botched NASCAR pit stop" on a limited
access highway, even as a teenager.

Later, on the road, the latter resulted in serious frustration, and additional
cost in time/bux, while at home I've subsequently twisted fairly new studs to
failure trying to loosen over-tightened lug nuts.

FWIW...

Bob W.

Trailer tire recommendations [email protected] Soaring 6 May 12th 14 01:17 PM
Cobra trailer tire size? Tuno Soaring 15 June 8th 10 06:39 AM
Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer Papa3 Soaring 4 October 24th 08 12:22 AM
Trailer tire rims Gary Carter Soaring 7 January 21st 05 03:15 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying chris Soaring 42 October 22nd 03 03:51 AM