Wanted: Schroth 4 or 5 point safety harness, loop ends, new condition

Old June 15th 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Wanted: Schroth 4 or 5 point safety harness, loop ends, new condition

The difference is a small tag that says approved for aviation use, or words to that effect.
Old June 15th 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:30:59 AM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The difference is a small tag that says approved for aviation use, or words to that effect.

"So go to one of the dozens of Schroth car racing dealers. I challenge
you to find the difference between the aviation and motor racing metalwork."

Really! Or are you just guessing...
Please paste link to where you find the Schroth belt for sale with the only difference being a small tag... I need loop ends too, remember.

I appreciate the advice but the two above posts simply are not true. There is no off the shelf Schroth automotive belt that will even attach to my glider. Could I special order hardware and then webbing from Schroth automotive, maybe. I haven't gotten that far as I would prefer to just buy an aviation harness that is guaranteed to fit my glider. The price difference is negligible to me, it's June and finding something that is guaranteed to work has a lot of value at the moment. Thanks.

Old June 15th 14, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi archerzulu, maybe you didn't see my PM to you days ago...

Regarding buying Schroth aviation belts, it is possible however you have to buy from their partner BAE Systems. So while not a retailer, still a possible route to place an order through. They may also send you the EASA documents but you'd have to ask about that.

How do I know this? Because I went through the same exercise a couple years ago. Purchased a glider from a friend and tried to find the same belts that were in my previous glider. Direct emails to Schroth sent me to BAE. All they (BAE) needed was the number off the back of the tag from the existing belts and they gave me a quote.

I ended up keeping the existing belts in the glider as they have plenty of life yet in them.

If I would contact them again I would be very specific: quote for belts, buckle, attachment hardware loops, easa form, etc. Kind of a help them help you exchange should iron all the details out.

Here is the contact info I've been keeping for future reference:

Erica Brechemin
Contracts Associate
Security & Survivability

BAE Systems Land & Armaments
1371 SW 8th Street, #3
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
Phone 954-784-3178
Fax 904-680-9737
Email

Can't hurt to pick up the phone and try.

Good luck,
Britton

Old June 15th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

I appreciate the advice but the two above posts simply are not true.

OK, I simplified a bit. Indeed the attachment ends must match, I presume that is a given. But having installed automotive belts in an aircraft in the past (which were later removed), the IA stated that while the automotive selts are certified to a higher G-loading than aviation belts, the belts must have the approved tag or they cannot be installed in certified aircraft.

Go figure, the FAA wants you to install inferior parts in aircraft. (flame suit on)

Old June 16th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:12:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
....I would prefer to just buy an aviation harness that is guaranteed to fit my glider...

If plug-and play is what you want, you probably ought to just buy them through Schempp-Hirth or its local agencies.

Thanks, Bob K.

Old June 16th 14, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pierre Vav

Hi,

You should try to contact SCROTH Aero.

SCHROTH Safety Products GmbH
Im Ohl 14
59757 Arnsberg/Germany
Telephone +49 (0) 29 32 - 97 42-120
Fax +49 (0) 29 32 - 97 42-42
New!!!
Web:
www.schroth.com www.takata.com

These belts have a 12 years lifetime. I replaced mine this winter.
They supply the correct Form1.

Old July 9th 14, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

SoaringXCellence wrote, On 6/15/2014 2:47 PM:

I appreciate the advice but the two above posts simply are not
true.

OK, I simplified a bit. Indeed the attachment ends must match, I
presume that is a given. But having installed automotive belts in an
aircraft in the past (which were later removed), the IA stated that
while the automotive selts are certified to a higher G-loading than
aviation belts, the belts must have the approved tag or they cannot
be installed in certified aircraft.

Go figure, the FAA wants you to install inferior parts in aircraft.
(flame suit on)

Do you know that those auto and aviation belts were certified using the
same standards? I suspect the standards are different.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old July 9th 14, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Given that racing car accidents frequently exceed 40g, and the drivers walk
(or limp) away alive, I suspect the manufacturing standards for automotive
are no lower.

Anyway, a number of European suppliers will happily source Schroth
sailplane harnesses and ship to the USA, with EASA Form 1 (equivalent to
FAA 8130-3). As this is the same certification as the ships they are
fitted to, and the price of Schroth automotive and aviation harnesses are
similar, what's the problem?

Old July 10th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Actually the standards for Aviation belts are lower than automotive.
Old July 11th 14, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:22:39 PM UTC-5, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Actually the standards for Aviation belts are lower than automotive.

And, the automotive ones probably don't have a life limit attached to them.