shipping a glider and trailer by rail from East to west coast

Old July 9th 14, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default shipping a glider and trailer by rail from East to west coast

For just another data point, the shaking of rail shipment is the problem, I worked at a Glider repair shop that repaired a glider (perhaps the same one KS is talking about) where the glider was shaken off of it's shipping mount and then rubbed a hole completely through the belly skin.

Brian
Old July 9th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Ship? I got a quote this week for shipping a 40' container from here to Califoria for less than 3K US$...
Old July 10th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:45:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anybody had any experience with rail shipping a glider in trailer? I'm looking at pre-owned gliders and after flying out to inspect the glider and purchasing, having to fly back to the west coast, load up the pickup and drive to New York sure would take the joy out of a glider purchase. I'm just tossing this out, nothing on the radar yet

Where is "here?"

When I was the Schleicher rep I insisted on only Panama Canal routing for West Coast gliders. The damaged glider referred to earlier resulted when someone at Kuhne & Nagel mistakenly shipped it via train from NY to CA. It was Jim Indrebo's bird.
Old July 10th 14, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

I inspected the 20 that KS shipped by rail. It arrived in California with no wheel chocks and the hand brake down! Every time the train started or stopped, the trailer ran to the end of the box-car and hit the end wall over and over. One wing came off its dolly and wore a hole into the wing spar (cap). If you ship by container, make sure the trailer wheels are chocked and nailed to the floor + set the wheel brake and duct-tape it in the full on position.
JJ
Old July 10th 14, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

OP:
Does Tony Condon still move glider trailers?

Rail/Ship:
Yes, the trailer should be locked in place by nailed-in chocks and 2-3 heavy ratchet straps.
Every container I've loaded lately had hard points to strap to.
Try a welded steel pyramid-shaped tower with a trailer tow ball on top to support the tongue. Keeps the weight off the jockey wheel and allows you to really tighten the tongue strap in the container.
Containers usually do not get abused but can get moved around far from level, or even dropped.
It's a very good idea to supervise the loading. Sounds like a rough trip on the train for that 20.
Jim
Old July 10th 14, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Would be happy to help if our schedules align. Keep in touch. .
Old July 10th 14, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Uship.com

Post a picture and enter trip details.

My brother and I have used uship 3 times in the last few years with excellent results and pricing such that unless you like spending 2+ days in the car it's definitly the way to go.
Old July 10th 14, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Road trips can be an adventure!

When I bought my first LS-6a in the early 90s, I was fortunate to be
able to make an inspection detour on return from a business trip. My
partner and I called to confirm the sale and left work together on a
Friday afternoon from Denver, arriving in Chicago on Saturday morning.
We did a final inspection, handed over the money, changed the connector
on the trailer, checked the lights and hit the road on Saturday
afternoon, arriving back in Denver on Sunday morning. We alternated
driving and sleeping.

Plan it out - it could be a fun trip!

Dan Marotta

Old July 10th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:23:45 AM UTC-6, JS wrote:
OP:

Does Tony Condon still move glider trailers?

Rail/Ship:

Yes, the trailer should be locked in place by nailed-in chocks and 2-3 heavy ratchet straps.

Every container I've loaded lately had hard points to strap to.

Try a welded steel pyramid-shaped tower with a trailer tow ball on top to support the tongue. Keeps the weight off the jockey wheel and allows you to really tighten the tongue strap in the container.

Containers usually do not get abused but can get moved around far from level, or even dropped.

It's a very good idea to supervise the loading. Sounds like a rough trip on the train for that 20.

Jim

Agreed, but I shipped from Kansas City, MO, to Felixstowe, UK, and the steel hard point in one corner had broken. I believe it was dropped also as the fuselage dolly (home made) was crushed which probably saved the fuselage. The trailer was very strong, which is why there wasn't more damage. That was rail to Great Lakes and container ship to UK. Two weeks.

Frank
Old July 10th 14, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7K

I used USHIP two years ago, and wouldn't do it any other way. In my case, the trailer was pulled behind a Ford F350, but others I know of have had theirs placed on a flatbed. You decide, based on the bids you get. My total cost was under $1 per mile for 2200+ miles. Much cheaper than going round trip myself, not to mention time away. And who knows, you might be on TV if one of their "stars" bites on it.

www.uship.com
www.uship.com/shippingwars

7K