TriMotor Crash

Old September 27th 04, 06:31 PM
log

Default TriMotor Crash

Was it the EAA Trimotor that crashed yesterday in the Merced(sp) Flyin???

Old September 27th 04, 07:02 PM
Ron Natalie

"log" wrote in message ...
Was it the EAA Trimotor that crashed yesterday in the Merced(sp) Flyin???

No, it was a Bushmaster. This is a "Ford trimotor" like aircraft built fairly recently.
The EAA's was an original 30's era Ford. It's hard to tell the difference, but one key
difference is that the original ones have a control bellcrank external to the fuselage right
below the pilot's window. The Bushmaster has all that stuff rigged internally.

Old September 28th 04, 01:37 AM
Jerry Springer

Ron Natalie wrote:
"log" wrote in message ...

Was it the EAA Trimotor that crashed yesterday in the Merced(sp) Flyin???

No, it was a Bushmaster. This is a "Ford trimotor" like aircraft built fairly recently.
The EAA's was an original 30's era Ford. It's hard to tell the difference, but one key
difference is that the original ones have a control bellcrank external to the fuselage right
below the pilot's window. The Bushmaster has all that stuff rigged internally.

Fullerton flyin not Merced...

Old September 28th 04, 03:43 AM
Harry K

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"log" wrote in message ...
Was it the EAA Trimotor that crashed yesterday in the Merced(sp) Flyin???

No, it was a Bushmaster. This is a "Ford trimotor" like aircraft built fairly recently.
The EAA's was an original 30's era Ford. It's hard to tell the difference, but one key
difference is that the original ones have a control bellcrank external to the fuselage right
below the pilot's window. The Bushmaster has all that stuff rigged internally.

Just curious. I got to do a good in and out inspection of a working
trimotor at Orofino Idaho in 1953 or 1954. What I saw in the clip
didn't quite match up with my reccollection, mainly it didn't seem big
enough. Is the bushmaster full sized or a scaled down version??
There were other things that made me wonder about it but the clip was
too fast and not enough detail to check out.

Harry K
Old September 28th 04, 04:19 AM
Rich S.

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
Just curious. I got to do a good in and out inspection of a working
trimotor at Orofino Idaho in 1953 or 1954. What I saw in the clip
didn't quite match up with my reccollection, mainly it didn't seem big
enough. Is the bushmaster full sized or a scaled down version??
There were other things that made me wonder about it but the clip was
too fast and not enough detail to check out.

Harry..........

There's a pretty good description of the breed at
http://www.tri-motor.com/equip.html

Rich S.

Old September 28th 04, 04:19 PM
Daniel

Harry K wrote ...
... What I saw in the clip ...

A prime example of the "me" generation. Evidently filmed by someone
standing in line waiting for their turn to ride. The plane goes down,
debris is flying, people are screaming "Oh my God!" and some dickhead
in the line shouts "Let's get our money back!".

Daniel
Old September 28th 04, 06:33 PM
Nathan Young

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:19:40 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message
. com...
Just curious. I got to do a good in and out inspection of a working
trimotor at Orofino Idaho in 1953 or 1954. What I saw in the clip
didn't quite match up with my reccollection, mainly it didn't seem big
enough. Is the bushmaster full sized or a scaled down version??
There were other things that made me wonder about it but the clip was
too fast and not enough detail to check out.

Harry..........

There's a pretty good description of the breed at
http://www.tri-motor.com/equip.html

The plane in the photo (N750RW) is the one that crashed.
Old September 28th 04, 07:24 PM
Harry K

"Rich S." wrote in message ...
"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
Just curious. I got to do a good in and out inspection of a working
trimotor at Orofino Idaho in 1953 or 1954. What I saw in the clip
didn't quite match up with my reccollection, mainly it didn't seem big
enough. Is the bushmaster full sized or a scaled down version??
There were other things that made me wonder about it but the clip was
too fast and not enough detail to check out.

Harry..........

There's a pretty good description of the breed at
http://www.tri-motor.com/equip.html

Rich S.

Hey, thanks! Looks like my rememberances of the old gal was (to put
it mildly) exagerated. I remembered it as being a 'huge' aircraft
whereas by todays standards it isn't very big at all.

Harry K
Old September 28th 04, 07:53 PM
Rich S.

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
Rich S.

Hey, thanks! Looks like my rememberances of the old gal was (to put
it mildly) exagerated. I remembered it as being a 'huge' aircraft
whereas by todays standards it isn't very big at all.

I don't know about that, Harry. We were down at the NWAAC fly-in at
McMinnville airport last month. There was a Ford Tri-motor on display with a
P-51 parked next to it - under the wing! It made the P-51 look like a toy.

Rich S.