SRA Poll

Old November 3rd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SRA Poll

On Nov 3, 12:25 pm, Paul Hanson
wrote:
At 14:36 03 November 2007, 2cernauta2 wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:19:16 -0000, '
wrote:

5U,

First of all, let me say that I greatly admire what
you've
acomplished. Your ingeniously prepared LS1 was more
or less equal
than my essentially stock Mosquito at Caesar Creek
this year - who
knew that credit card VG's could easily ad ~1% to the
performance of a
glider.

Sounds interesting. Can you explain what's VG and what
work has been
done? Thanks!

Aldo

VG's are votex generators. Kind of like giant turbulators.
check out the link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator
I would imagine by the description that the made a
set of these out of bent/cut credit cards. I would
also be interested in hearing more about it, (pics
please!) as a pilot from my airfield and I have been
discussing VG's on gliders for some time now but have
had nothing to base it on other than intuition, so
the conversation was moot. Very interesting stuff.

Paul Hanson
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Sam had 5 or 6 VGs spaced 3-4in apart in the last two feet of each
wing. They were cut from credit cards and were approx 1.5in high with
a 50-55 degree angle from front to a pointed top. He also designed
some highly effective wingroot fairings. The glider was extremely
effective - others flying the latest glass reported being unable to
"peel" Sam off unless they pushed up to 80kts.

2C

2C

Owner's poll Mxsmanic Piloting 35 October 29th 06 01:09 AM
Poll: best bird under $35K? psyshrike Owning 38 November 22nd 04 01:56 PM
SRA poll open (USA) Mark Navarre Soaring 1 September 20th 03 01:03 AM