ANY South East Florida Hangar Space?

Old December 1st 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default ANY South East Florida Hangar Space?

Can anyone tell me if there is any hangar space available in south
east florida?
Dave N415DK
Old December 8th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Dec 7, 9:07 pm, CriticalMass wrote:
wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is any hangar space available in south
east florida?

I'm not in SE Fla, I'm in Tx, but this kind of BS is typical of why I
sold my last plane and got out of aviation. Bottom of the food chain
access to critical stuff we gotta' have, like hangars, avionics and
other maintenance, insurance and fuel prices going outta' sight...TFRs,
yada, yada......not worth the hassle.

Life as we knew it is gone forever.

I know it's frustrating, flying is really becoming a "rich man's
hobby", but I am still trying to continue to fly. I just retired and
am moving down to south east Florida. I have found two hangars
available at $550 and $600 a month. I am in NY and these are high even
by NY standards. I am still looking and if anyone can give me a lead I
would be grateful. I have a small 1946 Ercoupe and would even consider
sharing a hangar with someone. I think $250-300 a month would be
considered a reasonable amount. Any comments appreciated.
Dave N415DK
Old December 9th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

I know it's frustrating, flying is really becoming a "rich man's
hobby", but I am still trying to continue to fly. I just retired and
am moving down to south east Florida. I have found two hangars
available at $550 and $600 a month. I am in NY and these are high even
by NY standards.

Dave,
Where are you hangering in NY? I would jump at $550 per month for a T with
electric. That's bottom of the food chain in Greater NY, and you still have
to grease the wait list with a few C notes.

Old December 9th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Dec 8, 8:53 pm, "Mike Isaksen" wrote:

I know it's frustrating, flying is really becoming a "rich man's
hobby", but I am still trying to continue to fly. I just retired and
am moving down to south east Florida. I have found two hangars
available at $550 and $600 a month. I am in NY and these are high even
by NY standards.

Dave,
Where are you hangering in NY? I would jump at $550 per month for a T with
electric. That's bottom of the food chain in Greater NY, and you still have
to grease the wait list with a few C notes.

Sullivan County, Monticello, MSV, new T-Hangars are $250 a
month.Electric door and all. Of course the closer to NYC the higher
the prices. But $550-600 seems high for Florida.
Dave
Old December 9th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

Hangar? I've never had a hangar at all. G

Outside in New England, home of the 90 minute winter preflight /
preheat.

Thank God for Bruce's Custom Covers, twice-yearly waxing, and the A/C
inverter in my Toyota Tacoma!
Old December 9th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:41:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

But $550-600 seems high for Florida.

Even SE Florida?
Old December 9th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Outside in New England, home of the 90 minute winter preflight /
preheat.

God, that brings back (bad) memories. I trained in Wisconsin, in
winter, and (of course) my wise old CFI wasn't about to help me pre-
flight the plane. While he sat inside drinking hot coffee, I shoveled
around the plane, dragged the jet-engine heater up to the cowl,
uncoiled the 100 foot of (what seemed like solid wire) extension cord,
positioned the ducts accordingly, and cleared the aircraft of ice and
snow in sub-zero weather.

Wait 20 minutes, and THEN hope the plane actually starts. Did that
three mornings a week, before work, all winter. Got my ticket in
February.

I've been fortunate to have a hangar for our planes since Day One of
ownership, nine years ago. Although the hangar's not heated, the
plane's engine is, and the oil is a nice, toasty 85 degrees at start-
up, no matter the weather outside. Best of all, no busting ice and
snow off the wings!

Of course, we found our hangar door frozen to the ground last week,
which took an hour of effort to break free. So although it's better
with a hangar, winter can still be tough.

Luckily, cold-weather flying is so much better, it makes it all worth
it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 9th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Dec 9, 11:29 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I've also done my share of outside cold weather tie down and flying in
New York. The plane I currently own is a 61 year old Ercoupe with
fabric wings. I would like to keep it in the restored condition it is
in. That's why I am trying to get hangar space. At $7000 a year for
hangar space I could just let it rot outside and buy another plane in
5-6 years.
Another alternative is to buy the complete set up from Bruces covers,
wings, engine, tail and canopy. That might be the solution if I don't
find anything.
Thanks for all of your input.
Dave N415DK 1946 Ercoupe
Old December 9th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

wrote in message ...
[...]

I would think you really don't need a hangar in Florida; a simple sun shade car port (plane port?) would be mostly just
fine. Seems the hangars blow down in the hurricanes anyway...