Reason 28, 29, 30.... why I don't paraglide

Old March 21st 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Reason 28, 29, 30.... why I don't paraglide

http://www.cometclones.com/mythology2010.htm

Old March 21st 11, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 04:00 21 March 2011, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.cometclones.com/mythology2010.htm

Thats scary. I have used Paragliders as lift markers in the past,and

thermalled away,I did not realise I was risking there life.I will keep
well away from now on.

Old March 21st 11, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Anything that dangerous must be fun On the other hand sailplanes
have a terrible safety record, training and experience doesn't seem to
help either.
Old March 21st 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

" wrote in message
:

Anything that dangerous must be fun On the other hand sailplanes
have a terrible safety record, training and experience doesn't seem to
help either.

Hmmm.... Really? Terrible safety record? Compared to what?...
Shuffleboard?

My $0.02,

Zero One

Old March 21st 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 21, 5:45*am, "
wrote:
Anything that dangerous must be fun *On the other hand sailplanes
have a terrible safety record, training and experience doesn't seem to
help either.

try taking a leak or eating a sandwich flying a hang glider or
paraglider..................been there-done
that.................sailplanes are my choice!
Old March 21st 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:19:08 +0000, "Larry Goddard"
wrote:

" wrote in message
:

My $0.02,

better save the money

aldo cernezzi
Old March 21st 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 21, 6:45*am, "
wrote:
Anything that dangerous must be fun *On the other hand sailplanes
have a terrible safety record, training and experience doesn't seem to
help either.

I would rephrase...

Pilots who think training and experience doesn't matter tend to have
terrible safety records.
Old March 21st 11, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

How many dead ex-world champion glider pilots are there? How many
active privately owned gliders in the US and how many fatals per year
in privately owned gliders? Soaring is not as safe as glider pilots
like to believe.

Old March 22nd 11, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

wrote:

Anything that dangerous must be fun *On the other hand sailplanes
have a terrible safety record, training and experience doesn't seem to
help either.

I would rephrase...

Pilots who think training and experience doesn't matter tend to have
terrible safety records.

Just to make the counter argument, that the original article is
making.
"There are risks that training do not seem to be able to mitigate."

If your wing spar has an X % of breaking on every flight, no amount of
pilot training will reduce that percentage. You can not mitigate that
risk with pilot training, you must re-design the spar. The same is
with paragliders, there are inherent risks of collapse in the design.
Old March 22nd 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

wrote:

Anything that dangerous must be fun *On the other hand sailplanes
have a terrible safety record, training and experience doesn't seem to
help either.

I would rephrase...

Pilots who think training and experience doesn't matter tend to have
terrible safety records.

Just to make the counter argument, that the original article is
making.
"There are risks that training do not seem to be able to mitigate."

If your wing spar has an X % of breaking on every flight, no amount of
pilot training will reduce that percentage. *You can not mitigate that
risk with pilot training, you must re-design the spar. *The same is
with paragliders, there are inherent risks of collapse in the design.

Giving that there are way more paraglider pilots than glider pilots
worldwide, a quick look at the worldwide statistic at the above link
shows that paragliding is much safer than gliding. Same goes for hang
gliding. Of course their injury rate is much higher, but fatality rate
is much lower. Reason is simple: sailplanes are much less forgiving
for any mishap due to the energy involved. There is much less chance
to survive a glider accident than a HG/PG accident. You can walk (or
at least crawl) away from most HG/PG accidents, wish this was true for
gliding as well.

Ramy