HDR Discussion - Checkmates - HDR Image

Old June 22nd 11, 01:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_8_]

Default HDR Discussion - Checkmates - HDR Image

Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Checkmates.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	48799
Old June 22nd 11, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek[_2_]

"Tom" wrote in message
Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the
image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

Tom

Good one. I like it because it is not overcooked. It's all too easy to
overdo the effect and end up with something that looks somewhat
surrealistic.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old June 22nd 11, 09:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:57:28 -0400, Tom wrote:

Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

'ell of a crosswind, too...

But nice!
Old June 22nd 11, 09:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:57:28 -0400, Tom wrote:

Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the
image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

'ell of a crosswind, too...

But nice!

Just thinking that myself, HDR certainly brings out the pitching deck.

Just getting my sea legs, about to haul up the top sheet and spanker.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old June 22nd 11, 06:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_10_]

"Tom" wrote in message

Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the
image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

Tom

Hi Tom! Which software did you use and which settings?

I use Photomatix......although I wish I'd known about Topaz before I made my
purchase. It seems both are quite good but I would have like to have tried
out Topaz as well before making my decision.

Regards,

Nick

Old June 22nd 11, 06:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_10_]

"Indrek" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the
image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

Tom

Good one. I like it because it is not overcooked. It's all too easy to
overdo the effect and end up with something that looks somewhat
surrealistic.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

To me that is the entire point of using HDR. It gives the image a surreal
look. I can take a decent picture already. HDR allows me the ability to
create something a bit different than "just" a photo.

Regards,

Nick

Old June 22nd 11, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-22 10:21:55 -0700, "Canuck" said:

"Tom" wrote in message ...

Just checking in on the HDR discussion...
I think it all depends on the amount of the effect put into making the image.

Here's one from Oceana in 2009 on a rainy overcast day.

Tom

Hi Tom! Which software did you use and which settings?

I use Photomatix......although I wish I'd known about Topaz before I
made my purchase. It seems both are quite good but I would have like to
have tried out Topaz as well before making my decision.

Regards,

Nick

Just add my piece here, I have, and have used Photomatix Pro, but I now
find that NIK HDR Efex Pro gives a greater degree of flexibility in HDR
processing and can create subtle conversions, and I use it exclusively
for HDR.
They also have very good tutorials.
Give their 15 day demo version a try.
http://www.niksoftware.com/hdrefexpro/usa/entry.php

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old June 22nd 11, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_8_]

Hi Nick,

Using PaintShop Pro...it's a Corel product now...

Happy shooting!

Old June 23rd 11, 01:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-22 11:30:23 -0700, Tom said:

Hi Nick,

Using PaintShop Pro...it's a Corel product now...

Happy shooting!

I have a feeling Nick was asking what software you use for HDR
processing, not what you were using for photo editing.
To the best of my knowledge PaintShop Pro does not have actual HDR
tools such as those found in CS5. Stacking layers from a bracketed set
does not necessarily produce an HDR. You might get some lifting of
detail from shadows, but not a full tonemapped HDR processed image.

Nick is using Photomatix together with his editing SW. I use NIK HDR
Efex Pro together with CS5.

Are you using any specific software for HDR processing, or are you just
stacking the bracketed exposure layers?

Old June 23rd 11, 11:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_8_]

Ok...let me be more specific Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2...that's what I use for
HDR processing...

IGC 13.5m class discussion T8 Soaring 19 January 29th 11 02:44 PM
NPR discussion on NAS Neil Gould Piloting 9 September 3rd 07 09:47 PM
Good ILS discussion NoneYa Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 18th 07 08:12 PM
Rules for the OLC (Discussion) Hans L. Trautenberg Soaring 4 August 18th 04 10:36 PM
Following the Eye Candy Discussion Quilljar Simulators 2 March 8th 04 01:40 AM