A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 21st 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?
Ads
  #12  
Old August 21st 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:
What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?


Jason,

this is unfortunately not as easy. The cables we supply in Europe only work with our european WiFi solution that wirelessly interfaces third party NMEA-equipment to iOS devices. In the US the module is not allowed due to regulatory reasons.

We are working on a worldwide bluetooth solution which is planned to be sold by early 2013.

Best wishes
Marc
  #13  
Old August 21st 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 197
Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:00:11 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:29:41 PM UTC+2, wrote:

What do I need to connect iPhone to CAI302, and where can I buy these cables in the US. I see on the Butterfly website two cables one for LX and one for CAI, are these the only cables required in each situation. Do they convert iPhone's USB to serial and supply power back to iPhone?




Jason,



this is unfortunately not as easy. The cables we supply in Europe only work with our european WiFi solution that wirelessly interfaces third party NMEA-equipment to iOS devices. In the US the module is not allowed due to regulatory reasons.



We are working on a worldwide bluetooth solution which is planned to be sold by early 2013.



Best wishes

Marc


There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?
  #14  
Old August 21st 12, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 171
Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

jfitch wrote:
There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?


AFAIK, Bluetooth is locked down on Apple products, and only available
to certain partners (not including Butterfly). Therefore, Butterfly
had to avoid Bluetooth and use WiFi instead. The problem is of
political nature, not technical.

These political problems are the reason why I decided not to port that
other software to the iPhone.
  #15  
Old August 21st 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:08:11 AM UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
Hello everybody,



iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.



iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.



iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.



Some information can be found on our Youtube channel, many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflyAvionics



The iGlide manual and additional information is available he http://www.butterfly.aero



Thanks for your feedback and best regards

Marc



Marc
Will we have map for Canada?
Thanks
Gilles

C
  #16  
Old August 22nd 12, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

thats true. We are currently undergoing a certification process at apple to unlock bluetooth capability in iGlide. Apple is very cooperative, however this will take until end of the year.

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:42:47 PM UTC+2, Max Kellermann wrote:
jfitch wrote:

There are NMEA to Bluetooth bridges currently available in the USA, built for the boat market. Could not these be used?




AFAIK, Bluetooth is locked down on Apple products, and only available

to certain partners (not including Butterfly). Therefore, Butterfly

had to avoid Bluetooth and use WiFi instead. The problem is of

political nature, not technical.



These political problems are the reason why I decided not to port that

other software to the iPhone.


  #17  
Old August 22nd 12, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:11:14 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:08:11 AM UTC-4, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:

Hello everybody,








iGlide, our iOS gliding navigation application is now in made available today in the USA and Canada. We have just released it and await Apple to activate it any minute. You can download it directly on the Apple AppStore.








iGlide has been incredibly successful in Europe. Our Team worked hard to get it ready for the US market, the main work was integrating necessary data and market specific functionality such as different units etc.








iGlide comes in three editions. As a start you can try the "lite edition" (priced $29,99) that features basic functionality. Additional features of higher editions can be directly purchased inside iGlide later on.








Some information can be found on our Youtube channel, many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflyAvionics








The iGlide manual and additional information is available he http://www.butterfly.aero








Thanks for your feedback and best regards




Marc






Marc

Will we have map for Canada?

Thanks

Gilles



C


Gilles,

we are working on maps for canada, they will be released in the following weeks.

Marc
  #18  
Old December 11th 12, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Connect iPhone to CAI302

Marc, can I order a Butterfly interface module from the EUR butterfly store - then use that adapter with my copy of iGlide (bought in the US app store) to iGlide run on my IPhone connected to my 302 or volkslogger
  #19  
Old December 11th 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US

Will this render full screen on an iPad or just in the small iPhone window.

Thanks

2C
  #20  
Old December 11th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 573
Default Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US

I began using iGlide in the fall on my iPhone 5. It is a very impressive interface. If I can integrate it with my V7 Vario NMEA output, it might be my choice next season. Right now, XC soar ticks all the boxes and works on a platform with far more choices. Also the cost $250 of the full features iGlide is very high.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where are you Butterfly vario? [email protected] Soaring 17 May 25th 14 05:49 AM
Butterfly vario info [email protected] Soaring 1 August 7th 12 10:08 PM
Butterfly iGlide Reed von Gal Soaring 4 May 2nd 12 06:00 PM
New Butterfly Vario Paul Remde Soaring 238 February 20th 12 04:05 AM
This Just In- Butterfly [email protected] Soaring 6 February 17th 12 09:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.