Harley engine special

Old May 20th 04, 05:43 PM
jls

"Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

Both these guys are classic extremes of how dumb luck can rule!
Blanton survived in spite of himself while Wittman died because of
himself. - Barnyard BOb -

Not so fast, BoOb. Wittman was around 90 when he died. At the time he
covered his aircraft with polyester fabric and used dope to glue and

finish
it, it was a popular thing to do. - jls

GEEZUS!!!!

Yeah, Geezus, I have read all the reports. He was flying back to Oshkosh
in the O&O Special, a kind of super Tailwind if his own design, behind an
O-470 at in excess of 200 mph. Get all your details together, if at all
possible.

Old May 20th 04, 05:46 PM
jls

"Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

Both these guys are classic extremes of how dumb luck can rule!
Blanton survived in spite of himself while Wittman died because of
himself. - Barnyard BOb -

Not so fast, BoOb. Wittman was around 90 when he died. At the time he
covered his aircraft with polyester fabric and used dope to glue and

finish
it, it was a popular thing to do. - jls

GEEZUS!!!!

Perhaps you did not see Dave Hyde's post regarding Wittman....

"AILERON-WING FLUTTER INDUCED BY
SEPARATION AT THE TRAILING EDGE OF AN UNBONDED
PORTION OF WING FABRIC AT AN AILERON WING STATION.
THE DEBONDING OF THE WING FABRIC WAS A RESULT OF
IMPROPER INSTALLATION."

Also...
Steve Wittman Accident

http://www.beginat.com/EAA724/newsltrs/96-02.htm
The February Sport Aviation has a summary of the findings of the NTSB
on the cause of the crash of Steve Wittman's O&O Special last April.
To condense and simplify the article greatly, it appeared that Steve
painted the Poly-Fiber covering to the plywood wing with the nitrate
dope he had used for years with natural fiber wing coverings, instead
of with the approved Poly-Brush.

Poly-Tak is the glue; poly-brush is a weave filler. You're not all that
good with facts, are you?

Old May 20th 04, 06:05 PM
Richard Riley

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:46:27 -0400, " jls"
wrote:
:
: http://www.beginat.com/EAA724/newsltrs/96-02.htm
: The February Sport Aviation has a summary of the findings of the NTSB
: on the cause of the crash of Steve Wittman's O&O Special last April.
: To condense and simplify the article greatly, it appeared that Steve
: painted the Poly-Fiber covering to the plywood wing with the nitrate
: dope he had used for years with natural fiber wing coverings, instead
: of with the approved Poly-Brush.
:
:Poly-Tak is the glue; poly-brush is a weave filler. You're not all that
:good with facts, are you?
:

He was quoting from the link right above it. Which is why he included
the link, right above it.

Claiming that the crash of the O&O was caused by it's Lycoming engine
is disingenuous and untrue.

Old May 20th 04, 06:20 PM
jls

wrote:
:
: http://www.beginat.com/EAA724/newsltrs/96-02.htm
: The February Sport Aviation has a summary of the findings of the NTSB
: on the cause of the crash of Steve Wittman's O&O Special last April.
: To condense and simplify the article greatly, it appeared that Steve
: painted the Poly-Fiber covering to the plywood wing with the nitrate
: dope he had used for years with natural fiber wing coverings, instead
: of with the approved Poly-Brush.
:
:Poly-Tak is the glue; poly-brush is a weave filler. You're not all that
:good with facts, are you?
:

He was quoting from the link right above it. Which is why he included
the link, right above it.

Claiming that the crash of the O&O was caused by it's Lycoming engine
is disingenuous and untrue.

Aren't you the shallow-pated one now? An O-470 is a Continental. I was
making reference to the speed and power and a huge prop on a fabric-covered
airplane, not to engine failure. Jaysus, Joseph, and Mary! Is there
anyone on your side of this discussion who can read?

Old May 20th 04, 07:11 PM
Barnyard BOb -

" jls" wrote:

I'd wager you won't see his years. I doubt with your bile you'll even

see
80.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Calling me names and offering me an asinine wager?
You sure showed me up and impressed the group.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Barnyard BOb -

Not meant to be brilliant, just reasonable.

Your attempt at an insincere half assed wager designed
as a put down is more than just unreasonable.

But, to humor and inform you and others....
The genetics of my family have members living between 82 and 94.
So, DO NOT get in a hurry to wager your mobile home or whatever.

If you are building something,
tell what it is. If you bought an RV someone else built, admit to it. If
you have an unfinished RV-3, as has been said of you, gathering dust, admit
to it. Can you build or rebuild an engine? Or have you ever tried it. I
doubt it.

Do you really think anybody gives a rat's ass about your doubts?
What a horse's ass you are. I've been anything but invisible
in RAH over the years. My history is well known to those with
a GENUINE interest. Obviously, you have eliminated yourself
over the years concerning these matters.

Ron has published a picture of a Flybaby you built. How long ago was that?
And is that all you ever built? Not that I am saying that THAT wasn't
quite a phenomenon.

Not my job to spoon feed you.
Read the website.
You might learn something factual for a change.

Calling names, personal attacks, and engaging in
diatribes is a forte of yours.

And this grants you some sort of lifetime 'free-for-all' license?
Get real. Get a grip.

I have personally seen a few auto engine installations, like Soobs and
Suzukis, in aircraft which were well-done and gave lots of trouble-free
hours and are still giving them. The ultralighters at State Line Ultraport
have used quite a few unconventional engines and have made them work, even
here in the mountains where off-field landings are chancy. Don't make
sweeping generalizations if you expect credibility.

GROAN.
You mean like the ones you JUST made above?????
At best, you have uncertified anecdotal tales to quote.
Lightweight stuff compared to certified records.

And aren't you the guy who said he went to get in his agplane one day and
the safety harness disintegrated and fell apart from UV rays and old age?

You remind me of the press...
dealing in half truths and ****ball innuendos.

P.S.
When it comes to DIATRIBE,
it appears you take no back seat.
In fact, you win.

Adios,

Barnyard BOb -
Old May 20th 04, 07:19 PM
ET

Barnyard BOb - wrote in
:

[...]

of with the approved Poly-Brush. The O&O Special flew for 10 years.
The NTSB believes that on the April trip back to Oshkosh, the fabric
in front of the right aileron finally debonded and ballooned up, which
caused the aileron and then both wings to flutter. The wings separated
from the aircraft. The article stresses the importance of using
components approved by the manufacturer when covering an aircraft.

MY POINT for you guys too dense to understand --
One is never too young, too old or too famous to
*NOT* 'screw the pooch'. --- correction

screw+the+pooch...
buy the farm...not just a screw up...
the most major screw up...
like auger in...
ask a pilot

JFK JR, screwed the pooch!

screw+the+pooch....
to **** up

Barnyard BOb --

WOW bet he wished he had a BRS system heh???

--
ET ---- (ducking and running)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old May 20th 04, 07:39 PM
Barnyard BOb -

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:19:23 GMT, ET wrote:

MY POINT for you guys too dense to understand --
One is never too young, too old or too famous to
*NOT* 'screw the pooch'. --- correction

screw+the+pooch...
buy the farm...not just a screw up...
the most major screw up...
like auger in...
ask a pilot

JFK JR, screwed the pooch!

screw+the+pooch....
to **** up

Barnyard BOb --

WOW bet he wished he had a BRS system heh???

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can't believe the 'lively' exchange this
subject generated on the RV List when a BRS
engineer 'axed' for comments concerning
equipping RV's with the BRS system.

Barnyard BOb --

Old May 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Fred the Red Shirt

" jls" wrote in message . ..
"Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message
[...]
Both these guys are classic extremes of how dumb luck can rule!
Blanton survived in spite of himself while Wittman died because of
himself.

Not so fast, BoOb. Wittman was around 90 when he died. At the time he
covered his aircraft with polyester fabric and used dope to glue and finish
it, it was a popular thing to do.

IIRC, it wasn't so much his choice of materials as the method he used
to apply them.

The most incredible part of the story is that seperation of the fabric
was noted on the ground at Occala, but he decided to wait to fix it
until after he got to Oshkosh.

--

FF
Old May 20th 04, 08:08 PM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:19:23 GMT, ET wrote:

WOW bet he wished he had a BRS system heh???

I doubt he'd have had time to deploy it. Destructive flutter can be
blindingly quick and violent, especially flutter that rips wings off.

I'm guessing they would have felt a violent shaking as their initial
"warning", a split second later the wings depart and the fuselage
gyrates to the ground pinning them inside due to the G forces.

Corky Scott
Old May 20th 04, 09:09 PM
Ben Haas

Barnyard BOb - wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:07:01 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

On 20 May 2004 06:36:38 -0700, (Ben Haas) wrote:

Hey BLOb, we are all still waiting for you post some pics of the
homebuilt you bought, read { you did not build yourself} and
supposably fly. Are ya gonna prove you are for real or just a keyboard
pilot.

Here's one he built:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/ind...m#urban-N4610G

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for the assist, Ron.

Barnyard BOb -

It does look like a nice plane. I do like the striping on it. How
about a pic or two of the current RV-3