source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Old August 3rd 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 2:21:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
For those of us lucky enough to have to put those pins in, the best tool is a really bright flashlight. It’s relatively easy if you can put a bright light right on the connection. It’s next to impossible to do it blind.

Swanson - I have to disagree on it being impossible to put the R-clip in blind. I suppose it all depends on the glider. My (beloved) DG-101 had a turtle deck hatch and no amount of lighting was going to help the situation of looking into a jet black hole surrounded by sun lit bright white gel coat.. You had to do it blind (especially the dive brakes which were located at the wing root).
Old August 3rd 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 4:45:05 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Let’s try this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6meRLjLQfb9dT6V6

John - You really need to put a leash on these frisky R-clips to keep them from jumping into the belly of the beast and lodging in places you REALLY want to avoid.
Old August 3rd 19, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 7:03:44 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 4:45:05 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Let’s try this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6meRLjLQfb9dT6V6

John - You really need to put a leash on these frisky R-clips to keep them from jumping into the belly of the beast and lodging in places you REALLY want to avoid.

I will do that. That is a great idea. From reading above, dental floss should work?
Old August 3rd 19, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I will do that. That is a great idea. From reading above, dental floss should work?

Dental floss works, also any other strong, thin cord. When you tie the knot around the pin, use a dot of hot melt glue to fix it to the pin. Cords and knots eventually stretch and loosen. The glue over the knot and pin eliminates this.
Old August 3rd 19, 11:29 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeRosa OHM Ω [url
http://aviation.derosaweb.net;996887]On[/url] Friday, August 2, 2019 at 2:21:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
For those of us lucky enough to have to put those pins in, the best tool is a really bright flashlight. It’s relatively easy if you can put a bright light right on the connection. It’s next to impossible to do it blind.

Swanson - I have to disagree on it being impossible to put the R-clip in blind. I suppose it all depends on the glider. My (beloved) DG-101 had a turtle deck hatch and no amount of lighting was going to help the situation of looking into a jet black hole surrounded by sun lit bright white gel coat.. You had to do it blind (especially the dive brakes which were located at the wing root).
I found that draping a nice big bath towel over my head and the surrounding fuselage kills the sunlight. A flashlight works then for final check .

After going the pin route the clips are a god send . You don't need to tie anything onto them to prevent them from falling into the abyss .
Old August 3rd 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 8/3/2019 4:29 AM, Delta8 wrote:
After going the pin route the clips are a god send . You don't need to
tie anything onto them to prevent them from falling into the abyss .

.... Until one slips out of your fingers.
--
Dan, 5J
Old August 3rd 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JD Williams

The phoebus connections are made outside the fuselage, if dropped the pins fall to the ground. I keep mine in an altoid tin along with the pin for the Jesus rod. Gives me one more positive check that pins are in. Box empty, pins in.

Any sources for plastic hemostats (with bent ends)? On the phoebus you have to reach into the wing and pull the brake rod out for hookup. I plasti-dipped a set of pliers but would rather have a plastic set. I was told that using pliers could score the connector ball, not desirable.

JD
Old August 3rd 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 9:53:11 AM UTC-5, JD Williams wrote:
The phoebus connections are made outside the fuselage, if dropped the pins fall to the ground. I keep mine in an altoid tin along with the pin for the Jesus rod. Gives me one more positive check that pins are in. Box empty, pins in.

Any sources for plastic hemostats (with bent ends)? On the phoebus you have to reach into the wing and pull the brake rod out for hookup. I plasti-dipped a set of pliers but would rather have a plastic set. I was told that using pliers could score the connector ball, not desirable.

JD

Hey JD,
The phoebus uses a small aluminum "fork" tool to extract the control rods from the fuselage or wing. Maybe someone can send you a picture of the originals, I made a few, but I sent them with the glider when I sold it.
Good Luck,
Scott
Old August 3rd 19, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My clips are inserted in the connector approximately 17 feet from the
fuselage.Â* No chance of dropping them inside. :-DÂ* For me the string is
to catch the clip, should I drop it, so it's not lost on the ground.

Jesus rod?

Old August 3rd 19, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 10:26:04 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

Jesus rod?

Dan, 5J

Main wing pin. Lose it, meet Jesus.

Steve Leonard