STOL Plans

Old May 25th 06, 01:16 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

Did, no answer there either! But, lots of people were willinig to share photographs with me. I just need to have someone who knows the answer to come by and see my post, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKimmel
Christopher wrote:
I also bought the plans for the STOL King but haven't received them yet.
Although the general specs on this aircraft are enough for me to want to
build one I have tried to get more detailed information about this
aircrafts performance by emailing Preceptor aircraft twice and they
will not respond other than to say thank you for the email and that
they will get back with me later. Phone calls to their number only
takes me to an answering machine telling me to call back at 2 PM.
Doesn't matter, I prefer finding someone independent of them who has
built this aircraft themselves to answer the questions anyway.

You need to join Preceptorgroup on Yahoo.
--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old May 25th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default STOL Plans

"Christopher" wrote

I also bought the plans for the STOL King but haven't received them yet.
Although the general specs on this aircraft are enough for me to want to
build one I have tried to get more detailed information about this
aircrafts performance by emailing Preceptor aircraft twice and they
will not respond other than to say thank you for the email and that
they will get back with me later.

Also, I found these numbers for the aircraft which differ by a large
amount with what is currently on their web site:
http://tinyurl.com/n4m6v

I have tried to get the opinion of CPotter (post above) and although
very friendly and helpful in every other way he is reluctant to guess
on the performance figures I am looking for because his project isn't
finished yet. Anyone know someone who has one flying right now and how
to contact them ?

There are BS flags all over the place, when looking at that web site. Turn
around, and walk, no, turn and run away!

Why does it have such long landing gear? To look like a storch. The
difference is, the storch has it to get prop clearance, for greaat big
props. BS alert!

Now for what told me to tell you to run away.

Did you see the HP rating for the VW engine they will sell you? THAT is a
good one! (joke, that is) A VW engine that is rated for 103 HP????????
Give me a break!! If you somehow were able to get that much power out of a
VW, the valves and head would be a big melted pile of aluminum and steel,
within 2 minutes, or less. Also you would have to run it at super high
RPM's, and that means you would need a small prop. Small props are only
good for poor take-off performance, and high cruise speed. Sound like a
STOL??? Nope. Run away!
--
Jim in NC

Old May 25th 06, 06:26 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

The STOL King was based on the 3/4 Storch kit being offered by a fellow in Australia which I believe had its origins in Europe somewhere (aside from the original Fi 156 Storch). Essentially, I think it is the same aircraft but streamlined quite a bit. I had heard (web searches) that he had partnered with them but for some reason they went their own ways and thus this aircraft came out of it.

Although this gear isn't the original 'Storch' gear I believe it is that long because the slats on the wings produce the best climb vs distance when at a high angle of attack.

If this aircraft can get close to its claimed performance, even if not right on it, I would be happy and wouldn't have too much heartburn over the specs being fluffed a bit to keep up with all of the other fluffers but if they are far from unrealistic I would sure like to know before I invest more time and money into this.

If I could just find one person who is flying one who would be willing to share their experiences and opinions about its performance (and there are completed STOL Kings out there) I could clear this up in a hurry. I have a couple of leads through web seaches but not easy to find contact information.

Here is another kit version of the 3/4 scale Storch called the Criquet with performance figures similar to the STOL King but much heavier (Modified, modified 'Storch'): http://tinyurl.com/qupra

The statement that a "VW engine can produce 100 HP" is misleading because this engine is different. They manufacture new jugs with more coolant flow and use a special high volume pump to keep them cool. Here is a link to their web page http://tinyurl.com/pbwb7

Chris in Palmer, Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgans

[...]

Last edited by Christopher : May 25th 06 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 25th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The Australian manufacturer is propably Nestor Slepcev:

http://www.slepcevstorch.com/index.htm

JP

"Christopher" wrote in

Old May 27th 06, 11:44 PM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

I received an email response from Nestor for a quote:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry, sorry for delay in answer, we had some technical problems here.

Interesting kits for you are Slepcev Storch and Slepcev Microlight Storch. They use ROTAX 912 ULS, 100hp engine. I find that ROTAX 912 is best engine for Slepcev Storch.

The SLEPCEV Storch Kits are fully welded, painted fuselage and empennage (chrome molly 4130) and come complete with upholstered seats, landing gear, wheels, and hydraulic disk brakes. The Kit has doors on both sides. Spars are Ribs are predrilled and lightening holes flanged.

Slepcev Storch MK4 - basic version of Storch is available in kit and ready to fly version. Slepcev Storch has metal covered wings. Its J.A.R.-V.L.A certified.

Kit version is available; Slepcev Storch kit is ROTAX 912 ULS, 100hp engine suitable. Price is 28.850USD. Approximate time for assembling is 800 - 1000 hours.

Slepcev Storch Microlight is slightly smaller than Slepcev Storch. It has fabric covered wings. Microlight is also available in kit or ready to fly version.

Storch Microlight kit is available, its Rotax 912 ULS, 100hp engine suitable, colored in standard colors, or in color of your choice. Price is 28.850 USD. Approximate time for assembling is 700 - 900 hours.

Please let me know.

Best regards

Nestor Slepčev
Old May 28th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

There is also this nice looking Australian kit aircraft Hornet STOL
developed by the Australian Aircraft Kits. Required building time seems to
be quite reasonable.
I don't know is it included in any link sections somewhere.

http://www.aircraftkits.com.au/index.htm

JP

"Christopher" wrote in

If anyone else is researching this I am putting links to all of the
sites I can find about the STOL King and or Storch homebuilts plus a
few others on a new yahoo group at:
but the links section of the group is full of lots of different
homebuilt aircraft which will take off and land in 300 feet or less
which is growing and may be helpful to others like myself who are
deciding on which extreme STOL aircraft to build.

Old May 28th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:

Did you see the HP rating for the VW engine they will sell you? THAT is a
good one! (joke, that is) A VW engine that is rated for 103 HP????????
..

Look again, Great Planes is claiming 120 HP:

http://www.greatplainsas.com/llc1.html

As noted elsewhere in this thread, the conversion to liquid cooled
heads makes refering to it as a VW enigne questionable--sort of
like referring to a Lexus as a NIssan.

I don't see an estimate of total weight on that page, but it
seems that the power to weight ration may be a tad unrealistic.

--

FF

Old May 28th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
Morgans wrote:

Did you see the HP rating for the VW engine they will sell you? THAT is a
good one! (joke, that is) A VW engine that is rated for 103 HP????????
..

Look again, Great Planes is claiming 120 HP:

http://www.greatplainsas.com/llc1.html

As noted elsewhere in this thread, the conversion to liquid cooled
heads makes refering to it as a VW enigne questionable--sort of
like referring to a Lexus as a NIssan.

I don't see an estimate of total weight on that page, but it
seems that the power to weight ration may be a tad unrealistic.

or - that MTOH may be a bit short...
Old May 28th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote \

Look again, Great Planes is claiming 120 HP:

http://www.greatplainsas.com/llc1.html

As noted elsewhere in this thread, the conversion to liquid cooled
heads makes refering to it as a VW enigne questionable--sort of
like referring to a Lexus as a NIssan.

I don't see an estimate of total weight on that page, but it
seems that the power to weight ration may be a tad unrealistic.

Yep, and that has been scoffed upon by those better in the know than me. g

I can also get over 750 HP out of a Chevy 350. Only one catch. It will
blow up after about 6 hours. Is that what you want out of an airplane
engine?

Those kind of figures for a VW are about as realistic. Granted, the liquid
cooled head may help get sustainable HP up from a realistic 45 to a bit
more, but not that far, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 29th 06, 12:45 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

Having no experience with these modified VW engines myself I cannot defend their claims, nor can I deny them. Just thought I'd show what they have on their web site.

BTW: That 120 HP isn't sustained full power, just for takeoff.

IMO I wouldn't call it a VW engine anymore, not with all of the modifications they have done to it. The size of the jugs and all of the changes to the original engine (including vastly increased cooling) determines the power rating of the engine, not the crank shaft. That is, assuming both it and the other original components, what ever is left of them, can take the increased stresses.