PDA

View Full Version : Airspace Question

Evan Salant
September 3rd 09, 03:58 PM
I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.

My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ? Could
you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.

Robert Moore
September 3rd 09, 05:15 PM
Evan Salant > wrote

> My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
> Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

YES

> Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ?

YES with 1 mile visibility

> Could you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

YES, if you can comply with Section 91.119: Minimum safe altitudes

> The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
> say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
> find this in the FARs/AIM.

It only goes to either 700' or 1200'. Ref: FAA ASF 92 / -002, "Airspace
Reclassification at a Glance".

Bob Moore

Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]
September 3rd 09, 09:44 PM
Evan Salant wrote:

> I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
> of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
> and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
> floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.
>
> My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
> Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

Immediately below the Class B floor it's Class E airspace, Class E begins at
700 AGL, it's Class G below that.

> Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds"?

Below 700 AGL, yes.

> Could you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

Below 700 AGL, yes.

> The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
> say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
> find this in the FARs/AIM.

Class E to the surface is designated by a dashed magenta line.

Sam Spade
September 3rd 09, 11:22 PM
Evan Salant wrote:
> I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
> of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
> and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
> floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.
>
> My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
> Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?
>
> Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ? Could
> you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?
>
> The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
> say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
> find this in the FARs/AIM.

No, the regulations aren't murky. They state that a higher class of
airspace supercedes a lower class. If you check the sectional the
entire New York area is surrounded by Class E transition airspace.
(700-foot floor). That applies except where superceded by Class B or D
airspace. So, the airspace over KLDJ is Class G below 700 feet, agl.
There is a 100-foot layer of Class E below the Class B over the airport.

Evan Salant
September 4th 09, 04:54 PM
On Sep 3, 6:22*pm, Sam Spade > wrote:
> Evan Salant wrote:
> > I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
> > of Class BAirspace(Newark Airport's bravoairspace, shared with JFK
> > and LGA). *The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
> > floor of the Class Bairspaceis also 800 feet.
>
> > My question is this: *What is theairspacebelow the floor of this
> > Class Bairspace? *Is it Class G ?
>
> > Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ? *Could
> > you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?
>
> > The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
> > say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
> > find this in the FARs/AIM.
>
> No, the regulations aren't murky. *They state that a higher class ofairspacesupercedes a lower class. *If you check the sectional the
> entire New York area is surrounded by Class E transitionairspace.
> (700-foot floor). *That applies except where superceded by Class B or Dairspace. *So, theairspaceover KLDJ is Class G below 700 feet, agl.
> There is a 100-foot layer of Class E below the Class B over the airport.

Thanks this is all helpful. Bottom line seems to be class G below 700
feet. Thanks.

Google