PDA

View Full Version : Nice article

smithcorp
September 27th 10, 02:26 AM
I don't think I'm alone here in monitoring press articles about
gliding - I like to identify the elements that make the story
'work' (in particular the ones that capture the things i enjoy about
gliding). This one's a good one I reckon. Low on the fear/challenge
factor and high on the accurate information factor.

http://durangoherald.com/sections/News/2010/09/26/Gliding_with_ease/

smith

lanebush
September 27th 10, 03:58 AM
On Sep 26, 9:26*pm, smithcorp > wrote:
> I don't think I'm alone here in monitoring press articles about
> gliding - I like to identify the elements that make the story
> 'work' (in particular the ones that capture the things i enjoy about
> gliding). This one's a good one I reckon. Low on the fear/challenge
> factor and high on the accurate information factor.
>
> http://durangoherald.com/sections/News/2010/09/26/Gliding_with_ease/
>
> smith

Very good article and video.

A local magazine just ran the following article on my soaring
activities. The writer added a few words to fill up the pages. There
were a few goofy remarks because he had never even seen a glider
operation. On balance we got some good publicity out of it!

Lane
XF

lanebush
September 27th 10, 03:59 AM
http://www.bainbridgelivingmag.com/2010/08/soaring-flying-with-no-engine/

This link might help.

Lane
XF

smithcorp
September 27th 10, 06:52 AM
On Sep 27, 12:59*pm, lanebush > wrote:
> http://www.bainbridgelivingmag.com/2010/08/soaring-flying-with-no-eng...
>
> This link might help.
>
> Lane
> XF

Top article of yours! The parallels with cycling and motorcycleing are
useful context.

smith

Walt Connelly
September 27th 10, 12:17 PM
Great stuff. Seminole Lake Glider Port in Clermont, Florida is about to be featured on a local TV program called "Florida o a Tankful." One of our local pilots is heavily involved in a local cable company and has some input into this program.

I'm sure that most areas have some sort of local special interest programming and they might be looking for stories such as local glider schools and operations. I've lived in this area for 25 years and learned of the local gliderport by accident late last year. The news media is a great potential source for the growth of our sport.

Walt

bildan
September 27th 10, 05:35 PM
On Sep 27, 5:17*am, Walt Connelly <Walt.Connelly.
> wrote:
> Great stuff. *Seminole Lake Glider Port in Clermont, Florida is about to
> be featured on a local TV program called "Florida o a Tankful." *One of
> our local pilots is heavily involved in a local cable company and has
> some input into this program. *
>
> I'm sure that most areas have some sort of local special interest
> programming and they might be looking for stories such as local glider
> schools and operations. *I've lived in this area for 25 years and
> learned of the local gliderport by accident late last year. *The news
> media is a great potential source for the growth of our sport.
>
> Walt
>
> --
> Walt Connelly

One can only hope for a continued drumbeat of exposure from the
media. I think this may be happening as one outlet sees what another
has done. Good stories tend to self-propagate. In advertising speak,
when everybody is covering the story, you have achieved a "Buzz". We
need to achieve a "Buzz".

Go talk to your local media outlets. Most are starving for story
material so they're prepared to listen to your pitch. Bring a copy of
Val Padget's "Media Kit" which is available from the SSA. Show them
this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1WEX2CxId4

John Castle[_2_]
September 27th 10, 07:19 PM
The link doesn't work for me!

At 16:35 27 September 2010, bildan wrote:
>On Sep 27, 5:17=A0am, Walt Connelly wrote:
>> Great stuff. =A0Seminole Lake Glider Port in Clermont, Florida is
about
>t=
>> be featured on a local TV program called "Florida o a Tankful."
=A0One
>of
>> our local pilots is heavily involved in a local cable company and has
>> some input into this program. =A0
>>
>> I'm sure that most areas have some sort of local special interest
>> programming and they might be looking for stories such as local glider
>> schools and operations. =A0I've lived in this area for 25 years and
>> learned of the local gliderport by accident late last year. =A0The
news
>> media is a great potential source for the growth of our sport.
>>
>> Walt
>>
>> --
>> Walt Connelly
>
>One can only hope for a continued drumbeat of exposure from the
>media. I think this may be happening as one outlet sees what another
>has done. Good stories tend to self-propagate. In advertising speak,
>when everybody is covering the story, you have achieved a "Buzz". We
>need to achieve a "Buzz".
>
>Go talk to your local media outlets. Most are starving for story
>material so they're prepared to listen to your pitch. Bring a copy of
>Val Padget's "Media Kit" which is available from the SSA. Show them
>this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Du1WEX2CxId4

bildan
September 27th 10, 08:48 PM
On Sep 27, 12:19*pm, John Castle > wrote:
> The link doesn't work for me!
>
> At 16:35 27 September 2010, bildan wrote:
>
> >On Sep 27, 5:17=A0am, Walt Connelly *wrote:
> >> Great stuff. =A0Seminole Lake Glider Port in Clermont, Florida is
> about
> >t=
> >> be featured on a local TV program called "Florida o a Tankful."
> =A0One
> >of
> >> our local pilots is heavily involved in a local cable company and has
> >> some input into this program. =A0
>
> >> I'm sure that most areas have some sort of local special interest
> >> programming and they might be looking for stories such as local glider
> >> schools and operations. =A0I've lived in this area for 25 years and
> >> learned of the local gliderport by accident late last year. =A0The
> news
> >> media is a great potential source for the growth of our sport.
>
> >> Walt
>
> >> --
> >> Walt Connelly
>
> >One can only hope for a continued drumbeat of exposure from the
> >media. *I think this may be happening as one outlet sees what another
> >has done. *Good stories tend to self-propagate. *In advertising speak,
> >when everybody is covering the story, you have achieved a "Buzz". *We
> >need to achieve a "Buzz".
>
> >Go talk to your local media outlets. *Most are starving for story
> >material so they're prepared to listen to your pitch. *Bring a copy of
> >Val Padget's "Media Kit" which is available from the SSA. *Show them
> >this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Du1WEX2CxId4

It works for me. Try using YouTube search for "glide like the wind".

Vsoars
September 28th 10, 01:00 AM
On Sep 27, 11:35*am, bildan > wrote:
> On Sep 27, 5:17*am, Walt Connelly <Walt.Connelly.
>

> > wrote:
> > Great stuff. *Seminole Lake Glider Port in Clermont, Florida is about to
> > be featured on a local TV program called "Florida o a Tankful." *One of
> > our local pilots is heavily involved in a local cable company and has
> > some input into this program. *
>
> > I'm sure that most areas have some sort of local special interest
> > programming and they might be looking for stories such as local glider
> > schools and operations. *I've lived in this area for 25 years and
> > learned of the local gliderport by accident late last year. *The news
> > media is a great potential source for the growth of our sport.
>
> > Walt
>
> > --
> > Walt Connelly
>
> One can only hope for a continued drumbeat of exposure from the
> media. *I think this may be happening as one outlet sees what another
> has done. *Good stories tend to self-propagate. *In advertising speak,
> when everybody is covering the story, you have achieved a "Buzz". *We
> need to achieve a "Buzz".
>
> Go talk to your local media outlets. *Most are starving for story
> material so they're prepared to listen to your pitch. *Bring a copy of
> Val Padget's "Media Kit" which is available from the SSA. *Show them
> this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1WEX2CxId4

I agree. One good article inspires others to capture the magic of
soaring. The article and the video mentioned in this thread are both
outstanding. Thanks for mentioning The SSA Media Kit. I've included
lots of materials for the media and high resolution pictures they can
use. Go to my web site for more details:
http://valpaget.com/

Contact the SSA and they will mail you the media kit and the Soaring
Publicity Handbook. It's time for your soaring operation to make the
front page.

John Castle[_2_]
September 28th 10, 07:57 PM
Thanks Bildan, that found it. Excellent video

At 19:48 27 September 2010, bildan wrote:
>On Sep 27, 12:19=A0pm, John Castle wrote:
>> The link doesn't work for me!

>> about
>> >t=3D
>> =3DA0One
>> >of

>glider
=3DA0The
>> news

>> >One can only hope for a continued drumbeat of exposure from the
>> >media. =A0I think this may be happening as one outlet sees what
another
>> >has done. =A0Good stories tend to self-propagate. =A0In advertising
>spea=
>k,
>> >when everybody is covering the story, you have achieved a "Buzz".
=A0We
>> >need to achieve a "Buzz".
>>
>> >Go talk to your local media outlets. =A0Most are starving for story
>> >material so they're prepared to listen to your pitch. =A0Bring a
copy
>of
>> >Val Padget's "Media Kit" which is available from the SSA. =A0Show
them
>> >this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3Du1WEX2CxId4
>
>It works for me. Try using YouTube search for "glide like the wind".

Tony V
September 28th 10, 11:43 PM
The Worcester Telegram and Gazette did a nice video on soaring at our
club. See the home page of the Greater Boston Soaring Club web site
http://www.soargbsc.com

Tony V.
P.S. too bad they used our 2-33 :-)

Google