PDA

View Full Version : windows 7, OLC and Cambridge

Howard Banks
October 18th 10, 04:36 PM
I am having a problem using the OLC convertor program that is supposed to
convert Cambridge files to a standard acceptable to OLC. It worked fine
on my now-dead XP laptop, but won't do anything on my new W7 machine.
Any suggestions?
HL

Darryl Ramm
October 18th 10, 04:52 PM
On Oct 18, 8:36*am, Howard Banks > wrote:
> I am having a problem using the OLC convertor program that is supposed to
> convert Cambridge files to a standard acceptable to OLC. *It worked fine
> on my now-dead XP laptop, but won't do anything on my new W7 machine.
> Any suggestions?
> HL

Yes. Search for this past topic on r.a.s.

Darryl

Greg Arnold[_2_]
October 18th 10, 05:57 PM
On 10/18/2010 8:36 AM, Howard Banks wrote:
> I am having a problem using the OLC convertor program that is supposed to
> convert Cambridge files to a standard acceptable to OLC. It worked fine
> on my now-dead XP laptop, but won't do anything on my new W7 machine.
> Any suggestions?
> HL

Open the CAI file in SeeYou, then save it as an IGC file. Then use OLC
Direct Claim to upload the saved IGC file.

Paul Remde
October 18th 10, 09:26 PM
Hi Greg,

Are you certain that works? I wouldn't think it would. I thought the .igc
file was only attached when SeeYou was used to upload to the OLC.

It is my understanding that the best solution is to open the .cai file in
either SeeYou or StrePla and then use them to upload directly to the OLC
from within SeeYou or StrePla. They automatically create and attach a
(non-secure) .igc file to the secure .cai file before uploading to the OLC.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Greg Arnold" > wrote in message
> On 10/18/2010 8:36 AM, Howard Banks wrote:
>> I am having a problem using the OLC convertor program that is supposed to
>> convert Cambridge files to a standard acceptable to OLC. It worked fine
>> on my now-dead XP laptop, but won't do anything on my new W7 machine.
>> Any suggestions?
>> HL
>>

> Open the CAI file in SeeYou, then save it as an IGC file. Then use OLC
> Direct Claim to upload the saved IGC file.

Greg Arnold[_2_]
October 18th 10, 09:44 PM
On 10/18/2010 1:26 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Are you certain that works?

Yep, I upload all flights for a friend who has an old CAI logger. Works
perfectly.

I wouldn't think it would. I thought the
> .igc file was only attached when SeeYou was used to upload to the OLC.
>
> It is my understanding that the best solution is to open the .cai file
> in either SeeYou or StrePla and then use them to upload directly to the
> OLC from within SeeYou or StrePla. They automatically create and attach
> a (non-secure) .igc file to the secure .cai file before uploading to the
> OLC.

I tried that a few years ago. I may be misremembering, but I thought it
didn't work.

> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
>
> "Greg Arnold" > wrote in message
>> On 10/18/2010 8:36 AM, Howard Banks wrote:
>>> I am having a problem using the OLC convertor program that is
>>> supposed to
>>> convert Cambridge files to a standard acceptable to OLC. It worked fine
>>> on my now-dead XP laptop, but won't do anything on my new W7 machine.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> HL
>>>

>> Open the CAI file in SeeYou, then save it as an IGC file. Then use OLC
>> Direct Claim to upload the saved IGC file.

Rick Fuller[_2_]
October 18th 10, 11:33 PM
On Oct 18, 4:44*pm, Greg Arnold > wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 1:26 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
>
> > Hi Greg,
>
> > Are you certain that works?
>
> Yep, I upload all flights for a friend who has an old CAI logger. *Works
> perfectly.
>
> I wouldn't think it would. I thought the
>
> > .igc file was only attached when SeeYou was used to upload to the OLC.
>
> > It is my understanding that the best solution is to open the .cai file
> > in either SeeYou or StrePla and then use them to upload directly to the
> > OLC from within SeeYou or StrePla. They automatically create and attach
> > a (non-secure) .igc file to the secure .cai file before uploading to the
> > OLC.
>
> I tried that a few years ago. *I may be misremembering, but I thought it
> didn't work.
>

> > Best Regards,
>
> > Paul Remde
> > Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

> >> Open the CAI file in SeeYou, then save it as an IGC file. Then use OLC
> >> Direct Claim to upload the saved IGC file.- Hide quoted text -

For me StrePla does not open.CAI files (Flight Tracks / Import) and
cai2igc4olc doesn't convert .CAI files in Windows 7. I've tried both
in the Compatability Mode using Windows XP (Sp2). Am I out of luck or
is there a better idea out there somwhere.

Rick "CL"

Darryl Ramm
October 18th 10, 11:52 PM
On Oct 18, 1:44*pm, Greg Arnold > wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 1:26 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
[snip]

I suspect this will not won't work for OLC League flights or OLC
motorglider or anything else requiring the IGC file to have intact
security, obvious badges etc. get included there as well.

Darryl

Darryl Ramm
October 19th 10, 12:00 AM
On Oct 18, 3:33*pm, Rick Fuller > wrote:
> On Oct 18, 4:44*pm, Greg Arnold > wrote:
>

> > On 10/18/2010 1:26 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
>
> > > Hi Greg,
>
> > > Are you certain that works?
>
> > Yep, I upload all flights for a friend who has an old CAI logger. *Works
> > perfectly.
>
> > I wouldn't think it would. I thought the
>
> > > .igc file was only attached when SeeYou was used to upload to the OLC..
>
> > > It is my understanding that the best solution is to open the .cai file
> > > in either SeeYou or StrePla and then use them to upload directly to the
> > > OLC from within SeeYou or StrePla. They automatically create and attach
> > > a (non-secure) .igc file to the secure .cai file before uploading to the
> > > OLC.
>
> > I tried that a few years ago. *I may be misremembering, but I thought it
> > didn't work.
>
> > > Best Regards,
>
> > > Paul Remde
> > > Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

> For me StrePla does not open.CAI files (Flight Tracks / Import) and
> cai2igc4olc doesn't convert .CAI files in Windows 7. *I've tried both
> in the Compatability Mode using Windows XP (Sp2). *Am I out of luck or
> is there a better idea out there somwhere.
>
> Rick "CL"

You are posting from Google Groups. Go to the search box above where
you are reading this and type in "Windows 7" to see ways to solve
this.

Windows 7 Windows XP mode may be an option - try Googling "Windows XP
Mode". Another option is dosbox. Unless you need all the baggage of
Windows XP I'd try dosbox first. See the past threads.

Darryl

Google