PDA

View Full Version : Re: Low cylinder compression - again, part III

Dan Luke
July 1st 03, 10:42 PM
"Michael" wrote:
> Believe me, I know how you feel. I've just passed (hopefully) a bad
> patch of airplane ownership. One of those times when I'm sure the
> airplane hates me.

That's what's really bothering me. Nowadays, flying the airplane fills me
with feelings of mistrust and anxiety. The governor problem went away by
magic - which of course means it will be back. I can't remember what it was
like to look forward to flying with pleasure. I suppose this feeling will
pass, but I think my compressions will have to stay strong for a year before
it does.

[snip aviation plagues of Egypt - ugh]

> Honestly, I've had more problems in the last two months than I have in
> the previous two years. That's just how it goes sometimes.
> Now the really disturbing thought - that $2500 this whole mess cost me
> isn't really out of line with my normal maintenance expenses. I
> budget about $6K/year (including annual) and this year I haven't been
> flying as much so unless something else goes badly wrong, I'll be
> under budget.

What happened to selling the bird? Changed your mind?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
July 2nd 03, 08:06 PM
"Michael" wrote:

> Yeah, that's about the size of it. Unfortunately, you seem unwilling
> or unable to do your own maintenance. That makes it harder.

I do some. Mechanical work is a real struggle for me because I have limited
use of my right hand. Most of my work is done by a couple of friends who are
A&P's. I help as much as they'll let me. In the case of the governor, I
decided not pull it and send it away until it does it again.

> Quite frankly, I can't
> remember the last time I dropped my plane off at the shop (any shop)
> to have something done and then didn't have to fix something the
> mechanic screwed up.

Especially avionics work. Bulls in a china shop ain't in it with avionics
techs.

> Normally,
> there are maybe 6 column inches of PA-30's in TAP. This issue, there
> are two full columns and then some. Nobody is buying.
>
> The PA-30 is the favored twin engine mount of the airline captain.
> Given what's happening in the airlines now, the market for those may
> never recover.

I'm scared to even have my airplane appraised - why seek depressing news?
This too shall pass, though.
I've just about decided that I'm going to sell this airplane sometime in the
next couple of years. Van's new 4-place model looks very interesting and
I've got other RV builders around here to help.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
July 9th 03, 02:33 PM
"Michael" wrote:
> Here's reality. There's nothing special about being an avionics tech
> - it's just another flavor of electronic technician. An avionics shop
> charges an average of $60/hr where I am.

Same here, and the local aircraft owners bitch mightily about it. They don't
know that my business charges $75/hr. for call-out tech labor, plus
50c/mile. My big-corporation competitors charge around $100/hr. plus
mileage.

> That means the cost of the
> labor is $30/hr - it always seems to work out to 50%. For a salaried
> position with insurance, 401K, vacation, etc - we're looking at maybe
> $35K, tops.

The same thing's true for aircraft mechanics. HVAC mech's that work for our
commercial air conditioning service business earn more, and good ones are
damned hard to find.

> Amazing how we're all looking at homebuilts. Says a lot.

Yes, the reasons are pretty obvious. The certified aircraft world is
institutionally hostile - there's every incentive for someone who wants to
own an aircraft to stay out of it.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM