PDA

View Full Version : Komet Trailer ramp Lever Jack

Grider Pirate
November 2nd 10, 02:38 PM
A while back, I made a lever-type ramp jack for my Komet trailer.
Simple, CHEAP (my middle name) and robust. Then I had a landout on a
soft surface, and it was quite difficult to raise the glider. As a
result, I designed (LOL) the MKII jack, incorporating a large aluminum
plate for the wheels to ride on. I linked it to the ramp with a
swingarm so it would stay aligned. After building two of these rigs
(for others), I've decided that for the .1% of the time I rig (or de-
rig) on soft surfaces, I'll just carry a square of plywood.
Just the same.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abKXYtBlu8

bildan
November 2nd 10, 03:20 PM
On Nov 2, 8:38*am, Grider Pirate > wrote:
> A while back, I made a lever-type ramp jack for my Komet trailer.
> Simple, CHEAP (my middle name) and robust. *Then I had a landout on a
> soft surface, and it was quite difficult to raise the glider. *As a
> result, I designed (LOL) the MKII jack, incorporating a large aluminum
> plate for the wheels to ride on. I linked it to the ramp with a
> swingarm so it would stay aligned. After building two of these rigs
> (for others), I've decided that for the .1% of the time I rig (or de-
> rig) on soft surfaces, I'll just carry a square of plywood.
> Just the same....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abKXYtBlu8

Clever!

I've been using a jackable fuselage dolly on an ASK-21 which uses a
similar lever - it's a joy to use. The 2-place ASK-21 is heavier and
the lever is shorter yet it still works easily.

Tim Taylor
November 2nd 10, 04:22 PM
On Nov 2, 8:38*am, Grider Pirate > wrote:
> A while back, I made a lever-type ramp jack for my Komet trailer.
> Simple, CHEAP (my middle name) and robust. *Then I had a landout on a
> soft surface, and it was quite difficult to raise the glider. *As a
> result, I designed (LOL) the MKII jack, incorporating a large aluminum
> plate for the wheels to ride on. I linked it to the ramp with a
> swingarm so it would stay aligned. After building two of these rigs
> (for others), I've decided that for the .1% of the time I rig (or de-
> rig) on soft surfaces, I'll just carry a square of plywood.
> Just the same....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abKXYtBlu8

I think the new one is great, but I agree that it is easier to just
keep a plywood pad in the front of the trailer. I built mine for my
old Ventus with four wheels to give a little better capability on soft
ground following your original design:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TTaylor07/TrailerJack#

Tony[_5_]
November 2nd 10, 04:24 PM
I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. All I can say after seeing
your video is "DUH!"

Tim Taylor
November 2nd 10, 04:46 PM
On Nov 2, 10:24*am, Tony > wrote:
> I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. *All I can say after seeing
> your video is "DUH!"

Tony,

For a fixed gear glider there is a dollie with the lever system built
into the dollie so that the wheel would be high enough to go into the
trailer. The height of the whole dollie adjusts with the over cam arm
movement. I don't have the link here but will try to find it.

Tony[_5_]
November 2nd 10, 05:18 PM
On Nov 2, 11:46*am, Tim Taylor > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 10:24*am, Tony > wrote:
>
> > I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> > fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. *All I can say after seeing
> > your video is "DUH!"
>
> Tony,
>
> For a fixed gear glider there is a dollie with the lever system built
> into the dollie so that the wheel would be high enough to go into the
> trailer. *The height of the whole dollie adjusts with the over cam arm
> movement. *I don't have the link here but will try to find it.

right, after seeing you guys' setups the same sort of idea popped into
mind.

n7ly
November 2nd 10, 05:25 PM
On Nov 2, 10:24*am, Tony > wrote:
> I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. *All I can say after seeing
> your video is "DUH!"

Tony - this looks a lot like mine. Been using it for a long time.
Another advantage is that I don't have to bend over to raise the
plane, just step on the handle. On soft ground you can have an added
advantage - with a plywood ramp shaped like a T. The top of the T has
enough foot print for the rollers, while the long part of the T is
long enough to roll the gear onto. It helps get the wheel out of the
mud. Trailer is at Sunflower. Dennis

SoaringXCellence
November 2nd 10, 05:45 PM
On Nov 2, 10:25*am, n7ly > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 10:24*am, Tony > wrote:
>
> > I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> > fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. *All I can say after seeing
> > your video is "DUH!"
>
> Tony - this looks a lot like mine. Been using it for a long time.
> Another advantage is that I don't have to bend over to raise the
> plane, just step on the handle. On soft ground you can have an added
> advantage - with a plywood ramp shaped like a T. *The top of the T has
> enough foot print for the rollers, while the long part of the T is
> long enough to roll the gear onto. It helps get the wheel out of the
> mud. *Trailer is at Sunflower. * *Dennis

I just sold my Grob 103 setup with a fuselage jack that worked in a
similar way but also locked to the aircraft for loading onto the
trailer. Check with Coastal Soaring for pictures if you want to
build one.

bildan
November 2nd 10, 08:18 PM
On Nov 2, 11:45*am, SoaringXCellence > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 10:25*am, n7ly > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 2, 10:24*am, Tony > wrote:
>
> > > I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> > > fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. *All I can say after seeing
> > > your video is "DUH!"
>
> > Tony - this looks a lot like mine. Been using it for a long time.
> > Another advantage is that I don't have to bend over to raise the
> > plane, just step on the handle. On soft ground you can have an added
> > advantage - with a plywood ramp shaped like a T. *The top of the T has
> > enough foot print for the rollers, while the long part of the T is
> > long enough to roll the gear onto. It helps get the wheel out of the
> > mud. *Trailer is at Sunflower. * *Dennis
>
> I just sold my Grob 103 setup with a fuselage jack that worked in a
> similar way but also locked to the aircraft for loading onto the
> trailer. *Check with Coastal Soaring for *pictures if you want to
> build one.

Consider this an extension of the ramp idea.

If a fuselage in a jackable dolly can be rolled completely off the
ramp and about 15 feet away from the tailgate, maneuvering the wing
roots off the trailer is much easier - especially if the ramp is
removed once it is not needed.

If a one-man dolly is to be used, it can be placed ahead of the nose
so the wing root can be swung across in front of the nose and then
walked to the fuselage without the past-the-tail do-si-do otherwise
required. This minimizes wing dolly rolling on rough ground.

Morgan[_2_]
November 3rd 10, 02:28 PM
Tony,

Here are some pictures of a very nice cradle setup for a fixed gear
glider.

http://picasaweb.google.com/morhall/GliderCradle#

Morgan

Craig[_2_]
November 3rd 10, 04:13 PM
On Nov 3, 7:28*am, Morgan > wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Here are some pictures of a very nice cradle setup for a fixed gear
> glider.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/morhall/GliderCradle#
>
> Morgan

Very nice. Would work with fixed or retractable gear.
Craig

SP
November 4th 10, 02:22 AM
On Nov 2, 9:24*am, Tony > wrote:
> I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. *All I can say after seeing
> your video is "DUH!"

I replaced the broken double scissor jack on my 1979 Komet with a
motorcycle jack available from:

http://www.t-motorsports.com/product/1100lb-motorcycle-lift-scissor-jack-adapter-crank-stand-mlift-mh8054/

I cut off the tabs on the base plate and mounted the jack to the
fuselage dolly rails with a heavy duty piano hinge I got from McMaster
Carr. It works great and it's not expensive. I can send pics to anyone
interested.

Steve

Canav8
November 4th 10, 02:50 AM
Nice Job Jim, I cant wait to try it out! Doug

Grider Pirate
November 4th 10, 03:16 AM
On Nov 3, 7:50*pm, Canav8 > wrote:
> Nice Job Jim, I cant wait to try it out! Doug

Thanks Doug! I was quite impressed that you managed to rig and de-rig
9B with the completely stripped scissor jack.

Wayne Paul
November 4th 10, 03:35 AM
Steve,

I replaced the scissor jack on my HP-14 trailer ramp with one of these motorcycle jacks shortly after you mentioned it in an earlier post. I had a chance to test it on a trip to Logan. It works great!!!

It is a STRONG, a bit heavy and the best solution I have discovered to date. I'm replacing the rod/socket provided raise and lower the jack with a socket and a swivel ratchet drive.

Wayne

"SP" > wrote in message ...
On Nov 2, 9:24 am, Tony > wrote:
> I've been occasionally thinking about the best way to set up a
> fuselage dolly for a fixed gear glider. All I can say after seeing
> your video is "DUH!"

I replaced the broken double scissor jack on my 1979 Komet with a
motorcycle jack available from:

http://www.t-motorsports.com/product/1100lb-motorcycle-lift-scissor-jack-adapter-crank-stand-mlift-mh8054/

I cut off the tabs on the base plate and mounted the jack to the
fuselage dolly rails with a heavy duty piano hinge I got from McMaster
Carr. It works great and it's not expensive. I can send pics to anyone
interested.

Steve

Bruce Hoult
November 4th 10, 08:19 AM
On Nov 4, 3:28*am, Morgan > wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Here are some pictures of a very nice cradle setup for a fixed gear
> glider.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/morhall/GliderCradle#

That looks very much like what came with our fixed gear DG1000 from
the factory.

I could take some pics on Sunday if anyone wants to see.

Andy[_10_]
November 4th 10, 08:41 AM
Glad to see my old ship still being well cared for. A lot of good
memories in that LS-4.

9B

Bruce Hoult
November 7th 10, 06:17 AM
On Nov 4, 3:28*am, Morgan > wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Here are some pictures of a very nice cradle setup for a fixed gear
> glider.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/morhall/GliderCradle#

Here's the trolley that came from Germany with our fixed gear DG1000
and trailer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/tags/DG1000ClubTrolley

The design is very similar to the one you show, but ours has the mount
for the cradle close to the fixed wheels where yours is closer to the
pivoting wheels. So, all else being equal, ours has more leverage and
less lift height (it's plenty).

Also, on ours, the tube that the lever is inserted into is mounted on
the side, not the front, and doubles as the thing for the lock to act
on, rather than requiring an extra component just for that purpose.

Morgan[_2_]
November 8th 10, 04:07 PM
> The design is very similar to the one you show, but ours has the mount
> for the cradle close to the fixed wheels where yours is closer to the
> pivoting wheels. So, all else being equal, ours has more leverage and
> less lift height (it's plenty).
>
> Also, on ours, the tube that the lever is inserted into is mounted on
> the side, not the front, and doubles as the thing for the lock to act
> on, rather than requiring an extra component just for that purpose.

I believe that these are a Cobra trolley, though I can't find it on
their website, the one I have pictures of came with an ASK-23 and is
essentially the same design as for an ASK-21. Well built, well
designed units. If you don't have the skills and tools to build one
yourself, probably worth the money to buy one and have an easy to use
cradle.

The main issue in the US is that it will cost you a fortune to get one
shipped from Germany unless there is a container already on its way
over that you can get in on.

Google