PDA

View Full Version : Wing cleaner

Viperdoc
July 5th 03, 03:46 PM
Any advice on the best wing leading edge cleaner /bug remover? I've tried
Simple green, car wash detergent in a spray bottle, and PPC Wing Clean. Any
other suggestions?

OSKI 3
July 5th 03, 06:47 PM
We use Windex after every flite and it
seems to work fine. Paint is 2 years old
and holding up fine.

Bill O

Dan Luke
July 5th 03, 07:22 PM
"Viperdoc" wrote:
> Any advice on the best wing leading edge cleaner /bug remover?

Lemon Pledge. It leaves a slick film that bug guts can't stick to as well.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Doug Vetter
July 5th 03, 08:45 PM
Viperdoc wrote:
> Any advice on the best wing leading edge cleaner /bug remover? I've tried
> Simple green, car wash detergent in a spray bottle, and PPC Wing Clean. Any
> other suggestions?

FWIW,

1) Wash the edges thoroughly with soap and water.
2) Wax them with a silicone based wax (work smart, not hard - use an
orbital polisher...I got a nice 5" one from Walmart for like $25).
3) Clean it with a moist terricloth towel after EVERY flight.
4) Rewax as necessary.

For the windows, use Plexus. Goes on like Pledge (and even smells a bit
like it), but "dries" when you rub it on (doesn't smear like pledge) and
actually lasts more than one flight (unlike pledge).

If you do the prep, the regular cleanup is easy. Wait until the bugs
harden and it'll take 10 times as long.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

SeeAndAvoid
July 6th 03, 01:52 AM
ProtectAll - sort of like ArmorAll, but, I'm told, safer and better.
Can be found at Walmart.
Chris

"Viperdoc" > wrote in message
> Any advice on the best wing leading edge cleaner /bug remover? I've tried
> Simple green, car wash detergent in a spray bottle, and PPC Wing Clean.
Any
> other suggestions?

Viperdoc
July 6th 03, 04:03 AM
OK. Today I tried lemon pledge in the spray can on one wing, and PPC wing
cleaner on the other. The PPC was definitely better for taking off the bugs.
It may not provide any long lasting protection like Pledge might. I keep the
plane waxed pretty well with Race Glaze, and I'm a little concerned that the
strong surfactant in the PPC might also be taking off the wax.

Overall, the pledge in a spray can worked pretty well, but it seemed like
it might be a bit expensive in the long run. I saw an orange citrus Pledge
in the store today which came in a pump bottle and was cheaper, but wasn't
sure if it was the same stuff. Anyone have any luck with this?

Mitch
July 6th 03, 04:48 AM
> Overall, the pledge in a spray can worked pretty well, but it seemed like
> it might be a bit expensive in the long run.

Cheaper versions of Pledge are: "Favor" furnature polish. Walmart has
another brand of furnature polish that is about the same stuff for about 85
cents/can.

Mitch

Henry Kisor
July 6th 03, 12:12 PM
I've tried just about everything for cleaning leading edges, including Wash
Wax All and Lemon Pledge in the squeeze spray bottle, and Jay's right, they
all work well. One good one for baked-on bugs was Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
dissolved in water and applied with a spray bottle. The enzymes, I was told,
soften the bug guts. However, it was recommended that one avoid
garlic-flavored tenderizer or one's plane could be renamed The Stinking
Rose.

July 6th 03, 04:34 PM
Windex will destroy your windshield. Within a year or so the ammonia
in it will turn the plexiglass so milky you can not see if facing into
the sun.
Had my $1000 lesson on what cleaners not to use.
John

On 05 Jul 2003 17:47:23 GMT, (OSKI 3) wrote:

>We use Windex after every flite and it
>seems to work fine. Paint is 2 years old
>and holding up fine.
>
>Bill O

karl gruber
July 6th 03, 05:38 PM
Just plain old water is good to remove bugs. As long as the airplane is
reasonably waxed I just spray water on the leading edges and wait 5 minutes
for the bugs to soften up.

Then a little Lemon Pledge from the big cans at Costco, and they wipe right
off. Now these are just lowly Northwest bugs. I'm sure the Midwest bugs are
larger, meaner, nastier, and harder to remove!

Karl

JFLEISC
July 6th 03, 09:34 PM
What happened to the old trick I heard of where you spray the front end of your
car with Pam (for cooking) and the bugs supposedly just wipe off without
cleaner?

Jim

Doug
July 6th 03, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know if touluene or cleaning fluid (Trichloro Ethane?) is
harmful to the paint? Should work well on the bugs. Or how about plain old
gasoline? Not the healthiest stuff in the world, and I haven't been using it
on my wings, but I do admit to using gasoline on my underbelly (then lemon
pledge).

Mark T. Mueller
July 7th 03, 02:25 PM
Protect-All ROCKS!!! It uses Carnuba Wax in the formulation rather than
silicones, but still provides good UV protection, is easy to apply, and can
be used on all plastics.

I also use it on my Jeep before off-roading, makes it easier to get the mud
off...

YMMV

Mark
Tiger N1533R

"SeeAndAvoid" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> ProtectAll - sort of like ArmorAll, but, I'm told, safer and better.
> Can be found at Walmart.
> Chris
>

> "Viperdoc" > wrote in message
> > Any advice on the best wing leading edge cleaner /bug remover? I've
tried
> > Simple green, car wash detergent in a spray bottle, and PPC Wing Clean.
> Any
> > other suggestions?

Ron Natalie
July 7th 03, 03:34 PM
"JFLEISC" > wrote in message ...
> What happened to the old trick I heard of where you spray the front end of your
> car with Pam (for cooking) and the bugs supposedly just wipe off without
> cleaner?

Original or butter flavor?

Wayne
July 7th 03, 04:37 PM
Go to a local detail shop, especially if there is a truck stop around
with a truck wash. I get the TR-1000 for $5.00 per gallon. I use a nice
thick towel and make it a little wet, then spray the soap 50/50 with water
right on the leading edges. It is the best thing I have found so far, using
the pledge before you fly is also a good idea. I use the same towel to wash
my car, all the soap I need is already on the towel.

I tried the pam too, it's way to greasy for me but does work pretty
good. I stayed away from the butter flavor :)
Wayne

> I'm a big fan of Tomar TR-1000. Works great and is safe for
> airplanes. The big problem is you probably have to buy it from the
> manufacturer, and shipping will increase the cost substantially.

Jack McAdams
July 7th 03, 06:15 PM
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Meguire's (sp?) detail spray. It
comes in a pump bottle, not aerosol, and works wonders. Spray it on,
wait about two minute, and wipe off all of the dead critter pieces. I
usually, but not always, follow up with a second application. I think
it applies a light wax finish that keeps the crud from sticking. I get
mine at WalMart but I'm sure it's available in lots of places.

Of course, this is for leading edges only - not the windshield. For
that I stick with Pledge or the various plastics cleaners that are
available through Sporty's and others.

Jack

"Viperdoc" > wrote in message >...
> OK. Today I tried lemon pledge in the spray can on one wing, and PPC wing
> cleaner on the other. The PPC was definitely better for taking off the bugs.
> It may not provide any long lasting protection like Pledge might. I keep the
> plane waxed pretty well with Race Glaze, and I'm a little concerned that the
> strong surfactant in the PPC might also be taking off the wax.
>
> Overall, the pledge in a spray can worked pretty well, but it seemed like
> it might be a bit expensive in the long run. I saw an orange citrus Pledge
> in the store today which came in a pump bottle and was cheaper, but wasn't
> sure if it was the same stuff. Anyone have any luck with this?

Ron Natalie
July 7th 03, 06:16 PM
"Doug" > wrote in message ...
> Does anyone know if touluene or cleaning fluid (Trichloro Ethane?) is
> harmful to the paint?

Toluene is most likely detrimental to paint. It's a component in many paint
removers. I don't think trichloro-ethane would hurt most.

> Should work well on the bugs.

Trichloro-ethane doesn't work very well on bugs at all. Can't try toluene.
Some of the petroleum based stuff (WD-40) actually works pretty well.

> Or how about plain old gasoline? Not the healthiest stuff in the world, and I haven't been using it
> on my wings, but I do admit to using gasoline on my underbelly (then lemon
> pledge).

AVGAS tends to leave stains on white aircraft. I avoid using gasoline as a solvent
without convincing reason. Too dangerous.

Actually, Aircraft Spruce and others sell this stuff called PPC Leading Edge cleaner.
Works pretty fabulously not only on bugs but on bird ****.

Ross Richardson
July 8th 03, 05:51 PM
I use the blue bottle of Aerocosmetice Wash-Wax.
http://www.wash-wax.com/care.html

I heard Simple Green is a no-no for corrosion.

Viperdoc wrote:

> Any advice on the best wing leading edge cleaner /bug remover? I've tried
> Simple green, car wash detergent in a spray bottle, and PPC Wing Clean. Any
> other suggestions?

Paul
July 8th 03, 06:24 PM
"
> Simple Green is a NO NO on aluminum planes.

I took a piece of scrap 2404 that was nice and shiny.
I immersed half of it in a simple green solution and left it for
a couple of days. The portion that was immersed exhibited
a decidedly frosty appearance.

This let me know that Simple Green does NOT belong in any faying
surface.

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

One's Too Many
July 8th 03, 11:10 PM
You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
for extended periods of time. Try repeating your experiment by using
Simple Green to clean off a greasy scrap piece of bare aluminum sheet
and then rinse it well with a generous amount of clean water, dry it
off and then let it sit for a couple days. You won't find any
evidence of corrosion. Simple Green has a high pH (alkaline, around
9.5 or so), probably contains a small concentration of NaOH or KOH in
solution. Using any alkaline aqueous cleaning solution on aluminum
requires good judgement on how alkaline the solution is and how long
you let it remain in contact with the aluminum. Mildly alkaline
cleaning solutions like Simple Green or 409 are usually OK on dull
aluminum as long as you just use it to cut the grease and don't allow
prolonged contact and rinse off all residue *completely* afterwards.
However, don't use them on polished aluminum unless you're intending
to re-polish the metal afterwards :-)

"Paul" > wrote in message >...
> "
> > Simple Green is a NO NO on aluminum planes.
> >

> I took a piece of scrap 2404 that was nice and shiny.
> I immersed half of it in a simple green solution and left it for
> a couple of days. The portion that was immersed exhibited
> a decidedly frosty appearance.
>
> This let me know that Simple Green does NOT belong in any faying
> surface.
>
> Cheers:
>
> Paul
> NC2273H

G.R. Patterson III
July 8th 03, 11:43 PM
One's Too Many wrote:

> You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
> for extended periods of time.

No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

John Galban
July 10th 03, 01:44 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message >...
> One's Too Many wrote:
> >
> > You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
> > for extended periods of time.
>
> No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
> matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.

I don't know if I'd use it on the wing, for the reason stated above,
but I regularly use it to clean off my greasy nosewheel pant and the
fiberglass cowl. Nothing works as good on old oil stains. I just
make sure to thoroughly rinse it off.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

H. Adam Stevens
July 10th 03, 02:54 AM
Military backed off.
Me too.
ELBOW GREASE

"John Galban" > wrote in message
m...
> "G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message
> > One's Too Many wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't generally leave your airplane soaking in cleaning solution
> > > for extended periods of time.
> >
> > No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
> > matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.
> >

> I don't know if I'd use it on the wing, for the reason stated above,
> but I regularly use it to clean off my greasy nosewheel pant and the
> fiberglass cowl. Nothing works as good on old oil stains. I just
> make sure to thoroughly rinse it off.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Clay
July 11th 03, 01:37 AM
"H. Adam Stevens" > wrote in message >...
> Military backed off.
> Me too.
> ELBOW GREASE
>
> "John Galban" > wrote in message
> m...

> > > No, but any cleaning solution will creep into joints and rivet holes. No
> > > matter how carefully you rinse, some will stay there.
> > >

> > I don't know if I'd use it on the wing, for the reason stated above,
> > but I regularly use it to clean off my greasy nosewheel pant and the
> > fiberglass cowl. Nothing works as good on old oil stains. I just
> > make sure to thoroughly rinse it off.
> >
> > John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
down engines. Works very well.

Ron Natalie
July 11th 03, 03:43 PM
"Clay" > wrote in message m...

> Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
> down engines. Works very well.

Also known as Varsol or Texsolve. Any airplane, auto, or print shop has
tons of the stuff. If not, you can find it in small cans at home centers.
Mineral Spirits is a close match as well.

Neal
July 12th 03, 02:30 AM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:43:44 -0400, "Ron Natalie" >
wrote:

>"Clay" > wrote in message m...
>
>> Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
>> down engines. Works very well.
>
>Also known as Varsol or Texsolve. Any airplane, auto, or print shop has
>tons of the stuff. If not, you can find it in small cans at home centers.
>Mineral Spirits is a close match as well.

I use a low-vapour "naptha" like what you use in a mechanic's
parts-washer. Probably the same kind of stuff you mentioned by brand
name. My bro-in-law bought some generic in bulk for his machine shop
and I scarfed a couple gallons from him. Works great on the belly of
the plane and doesn't irritate your hands like mineral spirits can.
After cleaning the belly off with this stuff, I then go over it with a
spraycan of Lemon Pledge. This solvent does no harm to the paint
either, but then it's pretty much impossible to hurt the paint on my
plane.

G.R. Patterson III
July 15th 03, 03:26 AM
Ron Natalie wrote:

> Naptha is another common name for mineral spirts. It's pretty close
> to stoddard solvent.

Not exactly. Mineral spirits have oil in them that naptha does not have.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

Jack McAdams
July 15th 03, 05:03 PM
But really rinse well. At my last annual the lineboys were told to
wash my plane prior to returning it to me. They apparently used Varsol
and water to clean it but didn't rinse it afterwards. Left major paint
discoloration and a real mess that would not wash off.

The shop had to have my plane completely detailed (Compound & wax?) to
make it right. They didn't argue about it at all. A later discussion
with the service manager revealed they were very much afraid that they
had permanantly etched the paint and might be going for a paint job.

And there I was designing my new paint scheme! Oh, well..............

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message >...
> "Clay" > wrote in message m...
>
> > Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
> > down engines. Works very well.
>
> Also known as Varsol or Texsolve. Any airplane, auto, or print shop has
> tons of the stuff. If not, you can find it in small cans at home centers.
> Mineral Spirits is a close match as well.

Google