PDA

View Full Version : Re: Plane Pocket as a hangar?

Paul Tomblin
July 5th 03, 07:54 PM
In a previous article, said:
>is endless. Does anyone have experience with this gadget? Apparently it
>opens hydraulically from a solar-charged battery.
>http://www.planepocket.com

Since it's almost certain that you're a shill for the company, maybe you
can answer why the web site makes no mention at all of its performance
with with snow?

--
Paul Tomblin >, not speaking for anybody
Using vi is kind of like having sex. The first time to use it, it's kind

Richard Kaplan
July 6th 03, 02:18 AM
> wrote in message

> Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Introtech is in San Diego. What's "snow"?

Fair enough. But tested and safe to over 80MPH winds (per their website)?
How can this not be a hoax?

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Paul Tomblin
July 6th 03, 02:49 AM
In a previous article, "Richard Kaplan" > said:
> wrote in message
>> Introtech is in San Diego. What's "snow"?
>
>Fair enough. But tested and safe to over 80MPH winds (per their website)?
>How can this not be a hoax?

Read the web site - they tested it by backing a Gulfstream jet up to it.

--
Paul Tomblin >, not speaking for anybody
- Donald Knuth

July 6th 03, 03:01 AM
Richard Kaplan wrote:

> Fair enough. But tested and safe to over 80MPH winds (per their website)?
> How can this not be a hoax?

As an AE I'm suspicious about the pressure differential too, but that's the
spec I'm least concerned with. The one I like best is "cool cockpit".

As a businessman, if this proves to be a good and needed product I may try to
get involved (not a shill yet).

SeeAndAvoid
July 6th 03, 03:57 AM
Interesting idea (not a shill here), but I'm sure my local airport
would say no regardless. The $10,000+ price tag makes me
a whole lot less interested.
Chris

> wrote in message
> This time of year a cool cockpit would be welcome, and we're all #$%!
> tired of cleaning off bird droppings. The waiting list for hangar space
> is endless. Does anyone have experience with this gadget? Apparently it
> opens hydraulically from a solar-charged battery.
> http://www.planepocket.com
>
> Thanks.
>
> Henry

July 6th 03, 04:58 AM
SeeAndAvoid wrote:

> Interesting idea (not a shill here), but I'm sure my local airport
> would say no regardless. The $10,000+ price tag makes me
> a whole lot less interested.

That's about half the worth of most of the civilian a/c I've flown! At $6k or
so, and if I had something quite nice to protect with no hangar space
available, maybe.

Ross Oliver
July 6th 03, 09:25 PM
> wrote:
>This time of year a cool cockpit would be welcome, and we're all #$%!
>tired of cleaning off bird droppings. The waiting list for hangar space
>is endless. Does anyone have experience with this gadget? Apparently it
>opens hydraulically from a solar-charged battery.
>http://www.planepocket.com

Cool cockpit maybe, but I don't think it will solve the bird droppings
problem. Seems to me you would be creating a whole new area for birds
to nest in. Plus it would not protect against my biggest nemesis of
outdoor storage: the continous blast of dust and grit kicked up by
the prevailing winds. Hot windy days combined with damp coastal evenings
means the entire plane has a cemented-on dust coat in less than a week.
I use a canvas cover to keep it off the canopy.

There is a demo model at my airport (RHV), but as far as I know, they
haven't sold any. The reason could be that while the wait for a hangar
is very long, the wait for a spot in the shelters (essentially tiedowns
with a roof overhead) is only about 18 months. Shelter spots cost about
$100 more per month than tiedowns, so the $10,000 price tag would pay for
the added cost of a shelter spot for a long time.

With such a steep price tag, I wonder if they have considered leasing
them?

Ross Oliver

July 6th 03, 10:25 PM
Ross Oliver wrote:

> Shelter spots cost about $100 more per month than tiedowns, so the $10,000
> price tag would pay for the added cost of a shelter spot for a long time.
>
> With such a steep price tag, I wonder if they have considered leasing
> them?

I have seen several posts and even more emails on this, and appreciate the
opportunity to review these diverse viewpoints. If I get involved with this
project you may be certain of two things: lower purchase price, and an
adaptive sales/marketing system that includes leasing and other creative
financing methods.

To me, it looks like a great idea the success of which requires manufacturing
engineering and production volume to get unit cost down, plus
distribution/financing options to satisfy all types of users and acquirers.

More opinions are really welcome!

And at Reid Hillview, what are the rates on hangar, shelter, and tiedown
space?

Henry

July 6th 03, 11:03 PM
wrote:

> And at Reid Hillview, what are the rates on hangar, shelter, and tiedown
> space?

I found the data - clever of those folks to hide it on the web.

III
July 7th 03, 10:42 PM
Seems to be a good idea, but perhaps expensive.

It looks like it obstructs the neighboring tee's in a tiedown area
(the ones next to the plane that face the other way.)

wrote in message >...
> This time of year a cool cockpit would be welcome, and we're all #$%!
> tired of cleaning off bird droppings. The waiting list for hangar space
> is endless. Does anyone have experience with this gadget? Apparently it
> opens hydraulically from a solar-charged battery.
> http://www.planepocket.com
>
> Thanks.
>
> Henry

Google