PDA

View Full Version : Re: AD on O-235-C2C?

Craig
July 7th 03, 04:38 PM
wrote in message >...
> I was told by an aircraft appraiser that there's an expensive AD on the 108 hp
> C2C version of the Lycoming O-235 that comes due at overhaul time. He didn't
> have the AD number or any details, and I haven't been able to find out much
> more. Does anybody know which one he was referring to?

The only two biggies that I could find had to do with the crank being
worked on by a particular shop and if the oil pump had a specific part
number impeller in it.

Craig C.

BTIZ
July 8th 03, 06:13 AM
maybe he was trying to low ball the value of your airplane..

BT

> wrote in message
et...
> I was told by an aircraft appraiser that there's an expensive AD on the
108 hp
> C2C version of the Lycoming O-235 that comes due at overhaul time. He
didn't
> have the AD number or any details, and I haven't been able to find out
much
> more. Does anybody know which one he was referring to?

July 8th 03, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reply! I think I had heard of the oil pump AD. Does it only
apply to certain specific engines or is it an "across the board" AD? Do you
have any idea how expensive a job it is?

In article >,
(Craig) wrote:
wrote in message
>> I was told by an aircraft appraiser that there's an expensive AD on the 108
> hp
>> C2C version of the Lycoming O-235 that comes due at overhaul time. He didn't
>> have the AD number or any details, and I haven't been able to find out much
>> more. Does anybody know which one he was referring to?
>
>The only two biggies that I could find had to do with the crank being
>worked on by a particular shop and if the oil pump had a specific part
>number impeller in it.
>
>Craig C.

July 8th 03, 10:02 AM
I don't think so. It was an airplane I was considering buying, and the
appraiser had no financial interest in the sale.

In article <FosOa.69569$1e.28543@fed1read04>, "BTIZ"
> wrote:
>maybe he was trying to low ball the value of your airplane..
>
>BT
>
> wrote in message
et...
>> I was told by an aircraft appraiser that there's an expensive AD on the
>108 hp
>> C2C version of the Lycoming O-235 that comes due at overhaul time. He
>didn't
>> have the AD number or any details, and I haven't been able to find out
>much
>> more. Does anybody know which one he was referring to?

Dennis O'Connor
July 8th 03, 06:43 PM
My mechanic, who can read an AD including preamble and foot notes and
understand it, says he made more than a few bucks from customers who came in
an insisted that he 'do' the AD on the 320 oil pumps even after he advised
them that it did not apply to their engine... Says he told them once, then
if they still insisted that he make some easy money, he shrugged, and did
it...

Denny

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> > wrote in message news:zLvOa.4134$GL4.2199@rwcrnsc53...
> > Thanks for the reply! I think I had heard of the oil pump AD. Does it
only
> > apply to certain specific engines or is it an "across the board" AD? Do
you
> > have any idea how expensive a job it is?
>
> It applies to certain engines (but there are a lot of them) and then even
not all
> instances of a given engine are affected. If you can't tell by other
means, you
> can pull one of the mags and visually the shaft to determine if you need
to change
> things.
>
> Have your A&P carefully read the AD including the PREAMBLE as it appears
> many that it applies to more situations than it actually does. There as
also
> clarifyication sent out that affirms the more narrow application of the
AD.

Google