PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Standard 700 opinions??

EGWW
July 13th 03, 06:54 AM
Im considering buying the new Vertex Standard 700 and would appreciate informed
opinions on the radio based on owners experience
thanks Jim.

Jerry Guy
July 14th 03, 12:17 AM
I recently purchased one as an upgrade to my vxa-150.
I haven't used it much yet, and not at all in the a/c.
Briefly, it's small. Audio from the speaker is about the same as my old
vxa-150, that is NOT as good as the Icom. (IMHO) Sounds 'tinny'.
Lots of user memory available, many scan functions.
Li-ion battery expensive, and the alkaline pack works on recieve only.
Comes with charger and headset adapter.
If you have any specific questions feel free to email me.

Jerry

EGWW wrote:
> Im considering buying the new Vertex Standard 700 and would appreciate informed
> opinions on the radio based on owners experience
> thanks Jim.

Jack McAdams
July 14th 03, 07:53 PM
I got one of the first 700s out there. Small (except the antenna that
I replaced), works OK both tx and rcv - audio is kind of weak on rcv.
Battery life is better than expected (and tx does work on alakaline,
but at reduced output). It seems to very susceptible to nearby RF
noise. The clock (or something) in my car wipes it out. This is true
in both the AM and FM modes.

The desktop charger (I forget the model #), charges the battery fine,
but will not accept the radio when charging. The case is too 'fat'.
I've been meaning to write to them about it but somehow never seem to
get the chance.

Jack

Jerry Guy > wrote in message >...
> I recently purchased one as an upgrade to my vxa-150.
> I haven't used it much yet, and not at all in the a/c.
> Briefly, it's small. Audio from the speaker is about the same as my old
> vxa-150, that is NOT as good as the Icom. (IMHO) Sounds 'tinny'.
> Lots of user memory available, many scan functions.
> Li-ion battery expensive, and the alkaline pack works on recieve only.
> Comes with charger and headset adapter.
> If you have any specific questions feel free to email me.
>
> Jerry
>
> EGWW wrote:
> > Im considering buying the new Vertex Standard 700 and would appreciate informed
> > opinions on the radio based on owners experience
> > thanks Jim.

July 15th 03, 01:43 PM
I just bought a VXA-210 last year, and have a couple of glaring
annoyances with it. The two biggest are the troublesome squelch
adjustment, and the lack of a flip-flop feature. Also annoying is the
requirement to store a frequency in memory in order to use it as split or
priority mode. I tried using it for VFR flight following before my plane
had real radios (used external antenna with it), but the frequency setting
was just impossible for anything other than a single one. Anyway, not
sure about the VXA-700, but perhaps someone familiar with it can address
these issues. Other than that, I haven't had any complaints with the
operation/performance.

-Cory

: Jerry Guy > wrote in message >...
:> I recently purchased one as an upgrade to my vxa-150.
:> I haven't used it much yet, and not at all in the a/c.
:> Briefly, it's small. Audio from the speaker is about the same as my old
:> vxa-150, that is NOT as good as the Icom. (IMHO) Sounds 'tinny'.
:> Lots of user memory available, many scan functions.
:> Li-ion battery expensive, and the alkaline pack works on recieve only.
:> Comes with charger and headset adapter.
:> If you have any specific questions feel free to email me.
:>
:> Jerry
:>
:> EGWW wrote:
:> > Im considering buying the new Vertex Standard 700 and would appreciate informed
:> > opinions on the radio based on owners experience
:> > thanks Jim.

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *