PDA

View Full Version : Military jet landing at SJC?

Alexander Avtanski
November 21st 10, 03:17 AM
Hello,

Today around 10:52am PDT (+/- a couple of minutes) I was in south San
Jose when I heard a very loud jet engine noise overhead. When I
looked up I saw something that looked like a F-18 on the SJC landing
path for 30L or 30R. It may have been a different plane - sorry, I
did not have my glasses - but it was definitely a military jet.

Did anybody notice this, and what was a military jet doing landing on
a civil airport?

Regards,

- Alex

Dave Doe
November 21st 10, 09:02 AM
In article <b6ca085f-7113-4a13-b822-5d90100e7143
@o14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, , Alexander Avtanski
says...

> Hello,
>
> Today around 10:52am PDT (+/- a couple of minutes) I was in south San
> Jose when I heard a very loud jet engine noise overhead. When I
> looked up I saw something that looked like a F-18 on the SJC landing
> path for 30L or 30R. It may have been a different plane - sorry, I
> did not have my glasses - but it was definitely a military jet.
>
> Did anybody notice this, and what was a military jet doing landing on
> a civil airport?

Um... landing? Just 'cos they're airforce doesn't mean they can't land
at a civvy field ya know! :)

--
Duncan.

John Clear
November 21st 10, 10:06 AM
In article >,
Alexander Avtanski > wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Today around 10:52am PDT (+/- a couple of minutes) I was in south San
>Jose when I heard a very loud jet engine noise overhead. When I
>looked up I saw something that looked like a F-18 on the SJC landing
>path for 30L or 30R. It may have been a different plane - sorry, I
>did not have my glasses - but it was definitely a military jet.
>
>Did anybody notice this, and what was a military jet doing landing on
>a civil airport?

I didn't see anything on the SJC flight tracker. I watched 10:45am
to 10:55am.

http://sjc.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html

FlightAware doesn't show anything military at SJC or at Moffett either.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Alexander Avtanski
November 22nd 10, 03:55 PM
Thanks,

This WebTrak thingy is a very neat tool. I was able to see the plane
in question:

http://avtanski.net/images/var/jet.png

As you can see, it turned out he didn't land on SJC, although from my
location (marked on the map) it looked right on the way to there. I
asked because I live in the area from over 10 years and this is the
first time I see something like that - just curious.

Regards,

- Alex

On Nov 21, 2:06*am, (John Clear) wrote:
> In article >,
> Alexander Avtanski > wrote:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >Today around 10:52am PDT (+/- a couple of minutes) I was in south San
> >Jose when I heard a very loud jet engine noise overhead. *When I
> >looked up I saw something that looked like a F-18 on the SJC landing
> >path for 30L or 30R. *It may have been a different plane - sorry, I
> >did not have my glasses - but it was definitely a military jet.
>
> >Did anybody notice this, and what was a military jet doing landing on
> >a civil airport?
>
> I didn't see anything on the SJC flight tracker. *I watched 10:45am
> to 10:55am.
>
> http://sjc.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html
>
> FlightAware doesn't show anything military at SJC or at Moffett either.
>
> John
> --
> John Clear - * * * * * * * * *http://www..clear-prop.org/

150flivver
November 24th 10, 10:41 PM
On Nov 22, 9:55*am, Alexander Avtanski > wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> This WebTrak thingy is a very neat tool. I was able to see the plane
> in question:
>
> *http://avtanski.net/images/var/jet.png
>
> As you can see, it turned out he didn't land on SJC, although from my
> location (marked on the map) it looked right on the way to there. *I
> asked because I live in the area from over 10 years and this is the
> first time I see something like that - just curious.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Alex
>
> On Nov 21, 2:06*am, (John Clear) wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Alexander Avtanski > wrote:
>
> > >Hello,
>
> > >Today around 10:52am PDT (+/- a couple of minutes) I was in south San
> > >Jose when I heard a very loud jet engine noise overhead. *When I
> > >looked up I saw something that looked like a F-18 on the SJC landing
> > >path for 30L or 30R. *It may have been a different plane - sorry, I
> > >did not have my glasses - but it was definitely a military jet.
>
> > >Did anybody notice this, and what was a military jet doing landing on
> > >a civil airport?
>
> > I didn't see anything on the SJC flight tracker. *I watched 10:45am
> > to 10:55am.
>
> >http://sjc.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html
>
> > FlightAware doesn't show anything military at SJC or at Moffett either.
>
> > John
> > --
> > John Clear - * * * * * * * * *http://www.clear-prop.org/

Many military fighters are restricted to landing at fields that have
barriers (cables) for an arrested landing if needed. They'll land at
fields without barriers under special circumstances such as an airshow
but they get a waiver from their command to do so.

John[_2_]
November 30th 10, 04:30 PM
On 11/24/2010 5:41 PM, 150flivver wrote:
> On Nov 22, 9:55 am, Alexander > wrote:
>> Thanks,
>>
>> This WebTrak thingy is a very neat tool. I was able to see the plane
>> in question:
>>
>> http://avtanski.net/images/var/jet.png
>>
>> As you can see, it turned out he didn't land on SJC, although from my
>> location (marked on the map) it looked right on the way to there. I
>> asked because I live in the area from over 10 years and this is the
>> first time I see something like that - just curious.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> - Alex
>>
>> On Nov 21, 2:06 am, (John Clear) wrote:

>>> I didn't see anything on the SJC flight tracker. I watched 10:45am
>>> to 10:55am.
>>
>>> http://sjc.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html
>>
>>> FlightAware doesn't show anything military at SJC or at Moffett either.
>>
>>> John
>>> --
>>> John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/
>
> Many military fighters are restricted to landing at fields that have
> barriers (cables) for an arrested landing if needed. They'll land at
> fields without barriers under special circumstances such as an airshow
> but they get a waiver from their command to do so.

Which military fighter is that? No problem for F-15, F-16, F/A 18, etc
to land without cables. I don't know if I've ever even seen cables at
military bases such as Aviano where fighters land daily. I'd be
interested in your source of information.

John[_2_]
November 30th 10, 04:31 PM
On 11/21/2010 5:06 AM, John Clear wrote:

> FlightAware doesn't show anything military at SJC or at Moffett either.

True. Then again flight aware won't show most military flights anywhere
either.

150flivver
December 2nd 10, 05:00 PM
On Nov 30, 10:30*am, John > wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 5:41 PM, 150flivver wrote:
>

> > On Nov 22, 9:55 am, Alexander > *wrote:
> >> Thanks,
>
> >> This WebTrak thingy is a very neat tool. I was able to see the plane
> >> in question:
>
> >> *http://avtanski.net/images/var/jet.png
>
> >> As you can see, it turned out he didn't land on SJC, although from my
> >> location (marked on the map) it looked right on the way to there. *I
> >> asked because I live in the area from over 10 years and this is the
> >> first time I see something like that - just curious.
>
> >> Regards,
>
> >> - Alex

150flivver
December 2nd 10, 05:12 PM
On Dec 2, 11:00*am, 150flivver > wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:30*am, John > wrote:

> > > Many military fighters are restricted to landing at fields that have
> > > barriers (cables) for an arrested landing if needed. *They'll land at
> > > fields without barriers under special circumstances such as an airshow
> > > but they get a waiver from their command to do so.
>
> > Which military fighter is that? * No problem for F-15, F-16, F/A 18, etc
> > to land without cables. *I don't know if I've ever even seen cables at
> > military bases such as Aviano where fighters land daily. *I'd be
> > interested in your source of information.
>
> Aviano definitely has barriers/cables for fighter use. *They are
> visible on an overhead photo of the runway. *Some cables are recessed
> into the runway and are elevated for use by the control tower. *Others
> sit on top of the runway elevated a couple inches off the ground by
> rubber donuts. *Normal landings touchdown past the cable to prevent
> wear and tear on them or damage to underwing stores should the cable
> pop up and contact them. *Fighters don't use the cable on land unless
> there's a problem, so they can land at fields without them but for
> safety's sake, they are generally operated at airfields that have
> them. *I'm retired air force (1500 hours fighter) and never landed at
> an airfield without barriers.

Here's the arresting gear available at Aviano: A-GEAR - Rwy 05 apch
end BAK-12 avbl O/R, 15 min PN. When Rwy 05 in use, BAK-12 (2463') and
dep end BAK-12s and E5 rigged. When Rwy 23 in use, BAK-12 (2402') and
dep end BAK-12s and E5 rigged.

Google