PDA

View Full Version : Should we rebuild MX 300 NavCom

Roger Long
July 14th 03, 12:16 AM
We have an MX300 in our 172 that has started producing squeals and static
whenever it is turned on. It was intermittent a month ago and proceeded to
being continuous. We can still transmit and receive if we can stand
listening to the noise.

I turned it on today and could clearly hear a commercial station mixed in
with the squeals. It also has some LED segments that no longer light.

We've wanted to replace this unit for a long time so as to have two radios
that match but the panel rebuild required by the fact that it is physically
larger makes the whole project more than we can spend right now.

This radio has not been cleaned, tuned, or even opened up for a long time.
Is it worth sending it back to the factory for overhaul or should we just
turn it directly into a paperweight and live with one radio until we can
afford another?

Wild ass guesses and pithy opinions appreciated.

--
Roger Long

Pat Yearick
July 14th 03, 02:20 PM
My MX300 was simulcasting on similar freqencies (122.975 and 123.0).
With that problem, the TKM repair fixed the problem but there wasn't
anything flat about the fee: $300+.

TKM INC. 14811 N. 73RD ST
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(800) 233-4183

--

Pat Yearick
Sales Representative

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 15th 03, 04:06 AM
Roger Long wrote:
> We have an MX300 in our 172 that has started producing squeals and static
> whenever it is turned on. <....>
> Is it worth sending it back to the factory for overhaul or should we just
> turn it directly into a paperweight and live with one radio until we can
> afford another?

TKM radios can only be serviced at the factory.

I would send it in, get a repair estimate, and make your decision
accordingly. It seems as though it would be worth wagering the
postage, esp. if you're considering living w/ one radio for longer
duration.

FWIW,
Sydney

Google