PDA

View Full Version : '50s Cessna Door Handles

Jim Weir
July 15th 03, 03:59 PM
A couple of days ago, there was a thread in here about '59 C-175 door handles
being replaceable by '60 DeSoto or somesuch handles. I'd like to know where you
get 1960 automobile parts? It isn't like the junkyards are full of them, and
somebody somewhere has to make a universal replacement serrated jaw handle.

Any suggestions? The '58 182 could use a couple of door handles.

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Marty Shapiro
July 15th 03, 05:34 PM
Jim Weir > wrote in
:

> A couple of days ago, there was a thread in here about '59 C-175 door
> handles being replaceable by '60 DeSoto or somesuch handles. I'd like
> to know where you get 1960 automobile parts? It isn't like the
> junkyards are full of them, and somebody somewhere has to make a
> universal replacement serrated jaw handle.
>
> Any suggestions? The '58 182 could use a couple of door handles.
>
> Jim
> Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
> VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
> http://www.rst-engr.com

Try JC Whitney. I haven't used them in many, many years, but they used to
have just about everything for cars going way back to parts for the Model
A.

http://www.jcwhitney.com

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

Dave
July 15th 03, 06:12 PM
Marty Shapiro wrote:
> Jim Weir > wrote in
> :
>

>>A couple of days ago, there was a thread in here about '59 C-175 door
>>handles being replaceable by '60 DeSoto or somesuch handles. I'd like
>>to know where you get 1960 automobile parts? It isn't like the
>>junkyards are full of them, and somebody somewhere has to make a
>>universal replacement serrated jaw handle.
>>
>>Any suggestions? The '58 182 could use a couple of door handles.
>>
>>Jim
>>Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
>>VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
>>http://www.rst-engr.com
>>

> Try JC Whitney. I haven't used them in many, many years, but they used to
> have just about everything for cars going way back to parts for the Model
> A.
>
> http://www.jcwhitney.com

Or try hemmings.com They advertise for all the old auto restorers.

G.R. Patterson III
July 15th 03, 08:39 PM
Jim Weir wrote:

> A couple of days ago, there was a thread in here about '59 C-175 door handles
> being replaceable by '60 DeSoto or somesuch handles. I'd like to know where you
> get 1960 automobile parts?

Well, you go to Yahoo and enter "+desoto +parts" and go through a few of
the 59,000+ hits. Or you ask this question on rec.autos.antique.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

Dan Thomas
July 15th 03, 09:11 PM
Jim Weir > wrote in message >...
> A couple of days ago, there was a thread in here about '59 C-175 door handles
> being replaceable by '60 DeSoto or somesuch handles. I'd like to know where you
> get 1960 automobile parts? It isn't like the junkyards are full of them, and
> somebody somewhere has to make a universal replacement serrated jaw handle.
>
> Any suggestions? The '58 182 could use a couple of door handles.
>
> Jim
> Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
> VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
> http://www.rst-engr.com

Might try www.spaenaur.com......I used to buy some odd stuff from
them. They have a big catalog full of fasteners, and a section of
latches, handles and stuff originally made for old cars; probably
automaker's leftover stock from long ago. I didn't see any pictures on
the website, but my catalog here has pictures of everything.
Old auto handles are usually diecast zinc, while most aircraft
handles are aluminum. Big difference in weight. One of our 172s,
though, has zinc interior door handles.

Dan

Jim Weir
July 15th 03, 09:44 PM
Well, before I do that, don't you think it would be wise to have a clue as to
what vehicle handles fit the '58 182?

Jim

"G.R. Patterson III" >

-
->
->Well, you go to Yahoo and enter "+desoto +parts" and go through a few of
->the 59,000+ hits. Or you ask this question on rec.autos.antique.
http://www.rst-engr.com

G.R. Patterson III
July 16th 03, 03:07 AM
Jim Weir wrote:

> Well, before I do that, don't you think it would be wise to have a clue as to
> what vehicle handles fit the '58 182?

Might help.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

MikeM
July 16th 03, 07:50 PM
This came up on the Short Wing Piper group. Early Pipers also
use automotive door handles.

Contact Bob Drake Reproductions, Grants Pass, OR. They have reproductions
of hoor handles for many old cars, including Fords, Chevys, and MoPars.

MikeM
Pacer '00Z
Skylane '1MM

Jim Weir wrote:

> A couple of days ago, there was a thread in here about '59 C-175 door handles
> being replaceable by '60 DeSoto or somesuch handles. I'd like to know where you
> get 1960 automobile parts? It isn't like the junkyards are full of them, and
> somebody somewhere has to make a universal replacement serrated jaw handle.
>
> Any suggestions? The '58 182 could use a couple of door handles.
>
> Jim
> Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
> VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
> http://www.rst-engr.com

Jim Weir
July 16th 03, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'll take one of the old beat-up handles and see if Bob Drake &
Co. can help.

Although I don't have any hoors on the airplane. I've carried a couple of ho's,
though {;-)

Jim

MikeM >

->This came up on the Short Wing Piper group. Early Pipers also
->use automotive door handles.
->
->Contact Bob Drake Reproductions, Grants Pass, OR. They have reproductions
->of hoor handles for many old cars, including Fords, Chevys, and MoPars.
->
->MikeM
->Pacer '00Z
->Skylane '1MM