PDA

View Full Version : MU-2

Tony
July 17th 03, 04:10 AM
Anyone have or fly an MU-2 in here. I have flown one in the right seat
for about 10 hours. I hear that they have a bad accident rate. But I
would say thats because you get some of them hot shot pilots that think
they can fly anything and go out and crash them. But then there are
people that have tons of hours in them and crash them. Does anyone have
any info on them. I love the thing. If I had a extra 300-1 million that
would be turobprop I would buy. Any info would help.

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Mike Rapoport
July 17th 03, 02:25 PM
I own a Marquise and have about 1100hrs in it. The accident rate is
actually about the same as other, similiar turboprops. This was not always
the case, MU-2s used to have a much higher accident rate before the
insurance industry tightened up requirements particularly with respect to
recurrent training. If you look at the NTSB database you will see no
particular pattern and that most MU-2 accidents are a result of boneheaded
decisions by pilots. A few are caused by maintenance errors but I have yet
to see one where the design or construction of the airplane was the cause.
This is probably true for all airplanes though.

Mike
MU-2

"Tony" > wrote in message
> Anyone have or fly an MU-2 in here. I have flown one in the right seat
> for about 10 hours. I hear that they have a bad accident rate. But I
> would say thats because you get some of them hot shot pilots that think
> they can fly anything and go out and crash them. But then there are
> people that have tons of hours in them and crash them. Does anyone have
> any info on them. I love the thing. If I had a extra 300-1 million that
> would be turobprop I would buy. Any info would help.
>
> *** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
> Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Mike Rapoport
July 27th 03, 03:15 AM
"Patric Barry" > wrote in message
> The MU2 is a great aircraft - it is different in that it has a high wing
> with spoilers instead of ailerons, and part of the concern about the plane
> is that if the wing loads up with ice, and the ice forms behind the boots,
> that if the ice puts the wing close to a stall then using the spoilers to
> turn the aircraft can stall that section of the wing.

Where did you get this stuff? Spoilers give far better control in any
stall. In MU-2 icing certification tests, the King Air photo plane had to
turn back more than once.

> The approach to landing is amazing - I recall one high time Learjet pilot
> who commented the landing an MU2 was like a controlled crash - and this is
> because the wing has a negative camber and so you don't flare the plane as
> you would a KingAir, but you fly it onto the ground.

Where did this come from? You land a MU-2 the same as any other and what is
"negative camber"? The MU-2 uses a completely conventional airfoil.

Mike
MU-2

> "Tony" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have or fly an MU-2 in here. I have flown one in the right seat
> > for about 10 hours. I hear that they have a bad accident rate. But I
> > would say thats because you get some of them hot shot pilots that think
> > they can fly anything and go out and crash them. But then there are
> > people that have tons of hours in them and crash them. Does anyone have
> > any info on them. I love the thing. If I had a extra 300-1 million that
> > would be turobprop I would buy. Any info would help.
> >
> > *** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
> > Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Google