PDA

View Full Version : Flying from US to Canada

Aarfy
July 18th 03, 01:11 AM
We're planning a trip from Northern California to Vancouver, Canada and
would appreciate some pointers.

1. What documents do we need to fly into Canada?
2. What are the ADIZ procedures?
3. What about customs?
4. Which airport/FBO is good for someone who is staying in the city of
Vancouver?
5. Any suggestions for flying daytrips in the area?

I'm sure AOPA has all the stuff on this, and I'm off to do some research,
but it's always nice to get some feedback from those who have been there and
dome that. Thanks in advance...

MikeM
July 18th 03, 01:26 AM
Aarfy wrote:

> We're planning a trip from Northern California to Vancouver, Canada and
> would appreciate some pointers.
>
> 1. What documents do we need to fly into Canada?
Everything you need in the US plus proof of insurance. If met by a customs
person, they will want to see your license, and medical, too.

> 2. What are the ADIZ procedures?
None unless you swing way out over the Pacific Ocean.

> 3. What about customs?
Land at a Canadian Airport of Entry, and Call 1-888-CANPASS at least two
hours before landing there. ADCUS on a US filed flight plan is still
required, but you also have to call CANPASS. No firearms!!!

For US reentry, carry proof of US citizenship (PassPort is good)

Its all on the AOPA site.

MikeM
Skylane '1MM
Just returned from a 3wk trip from SLC to Alaska, including Alberta, BC, YT.

July 18th 03, 06:46 AM
On 17-Jul-2003, "Aarfy" > wrote:

> 3. What about customs?

Others have noted the reasonably straightforward Canadian customs process.
However, US customs upon return can be a real PITA. For smooth sailing, you
really need to phone ahead at least 24 hrs in advance to the customs office
at the airport where you will re-enter the US. Most are only staffed during
regular business hours M_F, and even then may require an appointment to
assure that the inspector will be there. There is NO central phone number
for setting up US customs service for light aircraft. Furthermore, it is
not easy to find the local phone numbers of the customs offices at
individual airports. There may be a listing somewhere, but I have never
found it.

-Elliott Drucker

The Flynns
July 18th 03, 07:13 AM
5. Daytrips-- depending on how far you want to fly in a day.....Whistler,
Okanogan and hit the winery's, Desolation Sound, Stuart Island/Big Bay area,
Jervis Inlet, Butte (sp?) Inlet....Also depends on how you feel about flying
over water, mountains and relatively few flat spots...but it's all
beautiful.
"Aarfy" > wrote in message
> We're planning a trip from Northern California to Vancouver, Canada and
> would appreciate some pointers.
>
> 1. What documents do we need to fly into Canada?
> 2. What are the ADIZ procedures?
> 3. What about customs?
> 4. Which airport/FBO is good for someone who is staying in the city of
> Vancouver?
> 5. Any suggestions for flying daytrips in the area?
>
> I'm sure AOPA has all the stuff on this, and I'm off to do some research,
> but it's always nice to get some feedback from those who have been there
and
> dome that. Thanks in advance...

The Flynns
July 18th 03, 07:46 AM
"Aarfy" > wrote in message
> We're planning a trip from Northern California to Vancouver, Canada and
> would appreciate some pointers.
>
> 1. What documents do we need to fly into Canada?
> 2. What are the ADIZ procedures?
> 3. What about customs?
> 4. Which airport/FBO is good for someone who is staying in the city of
> Vancouver?
> 5. Any suggestions for flying daytrips in the area?
>
> I'm sure AOPA has all the stuff on this, and I'm off to do some research,
> but it's always nice to get some feedback from those who have been there
and
> dome that. Thanks in advance...

The Flynns
July 18th 03, 07:47 AM
"Aarfy" > wrote in message
> We're planning a trip from Northern California to Vancouver, Canada and
> would appreciate some pointers.
>
> 1. What documents do we need to fly into Canada?
> 2. What are the ADIZ procedures?
> 3. What about customs?
> 4. Which airport/FBO is good for someone who is staying in the city of
> Vancouver?
> 5. Any suggestions for flying daytrips in the area?
>
> I'm sure AOPA has all the stuff on this, and I'm off to do some research,
> but it's always nice to get some feedback from those who have been there
and
> dome that. Thanks in advance...

The Flynns
July 18th 03, 08:03 AM
"Aarfy" > wrote in message
> We're planning a trip from Northern California to Vancouver, Canada and
> would appreciate some pointers.
>
> 1. What documents do we need to fly into Canada?
> 2. What are the ADIZ procedures?
> 3. What about customs?
> 4. Which airport/FBO is good for someone who is staying in the city of
> Vancouver?
> 5. Any suggestions for flying daytrips in the area?
>
> I'm sure AOPA has all the stuff on this, and I'm off to do some research,
> but it's always nice to get some feedback from those who have been there
and
> dome that. Thanks in advance...

PaulaJay1
July 18th 03, 04:49 PM
In article >,
writes:

>Furthermore, it is
>not easy to find the local phone numbers of the customs offices at
>individual airports. There may be a listing somewhere, but I have never
>found it.

Airguide Publications "Flight Guide" has FBO and Customs telephone numbers. I
wouldn't fly with out one.

Chuck

Duane MacInnis
July 22nd 03, 06:13 AM
I'm with Tony on this. Tons of flying to do locally too. Email or call
if you need more "local knowledge".

Duane
++++++++++++++
Duane MacInnis
Flight Instructor
Boundary Bay
Cell (604) 454-7415
www.macinnisaviation.com

www.czbb.com

"Tony Roberts" > wrote in message

> > 4. Which airport/FBO is good for someone who is staying in the city of
> > Vancouver?
>
> Mike answered your other questions. For question 4 the best choice by far
> is Boundary Bay.
>
> --
> Tony Roberts (tonyroberts@ remove shaw.ca)
> PP-ASEL