PDA

View Full Version : Re: renters insurance ?

BTIZ
July 19th 03, 11:31 PM
don't buy renters insurance?

I have not for almost 15 yrs, I cover the FBO deductible by "self insuring".
I accept the risk of injury to others, and chose not to buy insurance.

Does the FBO from whom you intend to rent DEMAND that you have renters
insurance to cover the full hull value, or just the deductible?

Please read the article on this months (Aug) Private Pilot, Legal Briefs,
Page 60. It goes over the "renters insurance" and the dilemma of what it
will and will not cover.

BT

"JF" > wrote in message
et...
> OK, wrong newsgroup I suppose, but I was looking at some renters insurance
> since I sold my airplane....the rates seem rather high, but I don't have a
> comparison, except what I paid for my plane (about 1/3 of the renters
> quote!)
> at that rate I can't afford to rent a plane and will be back in the buying
> mode soon! I was just wanting to rent a 172/182 type aircraft, not a
B-737!
> Any suggestions?

Richard Kaplan
July 20th 03, 02:34 AM
"BTIZ" > wrote in message

> I accept the risk of injury to others, and chose not to buy insurance.

You mean if you cause property damage or bodily harm to the tune of hundreds
of thousands of dollars, you can and will just write a check?

If not, then legal or not it does not seem to be good "citizenry" to be
flying without liability insurance.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Ben Jackson
July 20th 03, 04:42 AM
In article >,
JF > wrote:
>OK, wrong newsgroup I suppose, but I was looking at some renters insurance
>since I sold my airplane....the rates seem rather high, but I don't have a
>comparison, except what I paid for my plane (about 1/3 of the renters
>quote!)

Liability is cheap but hull coverage for me was about 1.25% of the
hull value. I only carry enough hull for a typical accident and
risk the rest...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

BTIZ
July 22nd 03, 05:28 AM
true

m...

> > And every passenger signs a statement that they know that flight is a
> > hazardous endeavor, especially to see the Grand Canyon in the summer
> >
> You can't waive gross negligence away.

Richard Kaplan
July 24th 03, 12:20 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...

> You can't waive gross negligence away.

Not only that, but the biggest issue with liability insurance is repairing
damage which might be caused to a third party's property or third party
personal injury in the event of an off-airport landing.

The original poster can rant all he wants about the tort system, but clearly
he needs to accept this responsibility if he chooses to fly. And "accept"
means he is willing and able to write a check with lots of zeroes.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Google