PDA

View Full Version : PA28 gas cap

Frank Van Haste
July 22nd 03, 08:07 PM
Hi.

We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask) and the shop
sez the price on the part (not including painting) is about $177. Can
anybody verify that that's really what the little round guy costs?

Frank

Roy Smith
July 22nd 03, 08:15 PM
Frank Van Haste > wrote:
> We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask)

Next time, make sure the cap is secure before you start your takeoff
roll :-)

non
July 22nd 03, 08:30 PM
In article . com>, "Frank
says...

>Hi.
>
>We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask) and the shop
>sez the price on the part (not including painting) is about $177. Can
>anybody verify that that's really what the little round guy costs?
>
>Frank

If you have the Piper part number, you can check online what the price is by
visiting Des Moines Flying Service parts search website:

http://www.dmfs.com/partsearch.shtml

Frank Van Haste
July 22nd 03, 08:43 PM
"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> Frank Van Haste > wrote:
> > We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask)
>
> Next time, make sure the cap is secure before you start your takeoff
> roll :-)

Umm, it wasn't me but...yeah, right. The involved party is suitably
mortified.

FVH

Steve House
July 22nd 03, 08:48 PM
But it's a really really REALLY GOOD gas cap!!!!!!!!!!

m...

> > We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask) and the
shop
> > sez the price on the part (not including painting) is about $177. Can
> > anybody verify that that's really what the little round guy costs?
>
> This is almost certainly the price for a new one. You might inquire at
> some of the avaiation salvage places for a used one.

July 22nd 03, 09:06 PM
The salvage yards I've talked with still tend to demand 50% of new.
A bit unreasonable in most cases I've seen.

-Cory
Ron Natalie > wrote:
: This is almost certainly the price for a new one. You might inquire at
: some of the avaiation salvage places for a used one.

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Roy Smith
July 22nd 03, 09:08 PM
> wrote:
> The salvage yards I've talked with still tend to demand 50% of new.
> A bit unreasonable in most cases I've seen.

Why is it unreasonable? In a free-market economy, you charge what the
market will bear.

They're not demanding, they're asking. You always have the option of
taking your business elsewhere if you don't like the price.

Jim
July 22nd 03, 09:21 PM
> > But it's a really really REALLY GOOD gas cap!!!!!!!!!!
>
> LMAO! Yep... and it's a relatively RARE item!!! (compared with gas caps
> for cars)
> ... and it could be an ANTIQUE!!! ( unless you have a new Archer)
> ... and could it be made out of "AIRCRAFT ALUMINIUM"? (thats
> Al-you-minnie-um as in "expensive" as opposed to Uh loo min um as in a
"beer
> can")
> ... and I bet it's made to "AIRCRAFT SPECIFICATIONS" (which makes it
> specific to an aircraft rather than specific to a car and thus RARE, see
> item #1)
>
> Ain't life grand? :) Have fun
>
> Jim Burns III

Ron Natalie
July 22nd 03, 09:31 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:63hTa.119504$Ph3.15180@sccrnsc04...
> > They're not demanding, they're asking. You always have the option of
> > taking your business elsewhere if you don't like the price.
>
> Um, just out of curiosity, where else would you take your business, if not
> the OEMs or the salvage yard?

You could always just duct tape over the opening :-)

Ray Andraka
July 22nd 03, 09:51 PM
Well, if it is your plane, you could make your own!

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Ross Richardson
July 22nd 03, 09:56 PM
I just was happy lately to pay $65 for a used $15 part that Cessna
wanted $275.

--
Regards,

Ross
972.952.3170 Phone 972.949.9249 Pager
972.952.2574 FAX
McKinney/Wing A2N 48v72

Ross Richardson
July 22nd 03, 09:59 PM
Try www.asod.com. Also, don't you have the little chain to retain the
gas cap like on my Cessna?

Frank Van Haste wrote:

> Hi.
>
> We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask) and the shop
> sez the price on the part (not including painting) is about $177. Can
> anybody verify that that's really what the little round guy costs?
>
> Frank

Ron Natalie
July 22nd 03, 10:30 PM
"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message ...
> In a previous article, "Frank Van Haste" > said:
> >We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask) and the shop
> >sez the price on the part (not including painting) is about $177. Can
> >anybody verify that that's really what the little round guy costs?
>
> Yup. $5 for the gas cap, $172 for the TSO number printed on it.

It's most likely not even TSO'd.

July 23rd 03, 12:13 AM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
:> They're not demanding, they're asking. You always have the option of
:> taking your business elsewhere if you don't like the price.

: Um, just out of curiosity, where else would you take your business, if not
: the OEMs or the salvage yard?
: --

Exactly. The problem with aircraft stuff is that it doesn't have
the benefit of supply/demand, and everything has legal ramifications.
They can charge whatever they please since they've got you by the short
and curlies, so long as it's less than the even more ridiculous OEM
prices.

FWIW
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Mike Schumann
July 23rd 03, 05:04 AM
Everything is subject to the laws of supply and demand. The cost of gas
caps reflects the very limited market, which makes it extremely uneconomical
for a new manufacturer to start up production to compete with the existing
suppliers, hence the high prices.

Mike Schumann

> wrote in message
> Jay Honeck > wrote:
> :> They're not demanding, they're asking. You always have the option of
> :> taking your business elsewhere if you don't like the price.
>
> : Um, just out of curiosity, where else would you take your business, if
not
> : the OEMs or the salvage yard?
> : --
>
> Exactly. The problem with aircraft stuff is that it doesn't have
> the benefit of supply/demand, and everything has legal ramifications.
> They can charge whatever they please since they've got you by the short
> and curlies, so long as it's less than the even more ridiculous OEM
> prices.
>
> FWIW
> -Cory
>
> --
> ************************************************** ***********************
> * The prime directive of Linux: *
> * - learn what you don't know, *
> * - teach what you do. *
> * (Just my 20 USm$) *
> ************************************************** ***********************

July 23rd 03, 04:45 PM
Mike Schumann > wrote:
: Everything is subject to the laws of supply and demand. The cost of gas
: caps reflects the very limited market, which makes it extremely uneconomical
: for a new manufacturer to start up production to compete with the existing
: suppliers, hence the high prices.

: Mike Schumann

Don't forget the legal issues. I'd wager that's a bigger cost for
many, many things airplane. Look at the Facet fuel pumps used all over.
Exactly the same as the one you get at NAPA, but it has a safety-wire hole
drilled in it, and serious legal ramifications if it fails.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Marty Ross
July 23rd 03, 08:22 PM
The Warrior I fly has a gas cap that's awfully loose when closed! I've
asked the owner about it, and he doesn't seem too concerned.

How did yours come off?

P.S. -- I certainly wouldn't want a "safety wire" around the gascap, in case
it came loose mid-flight!

P.S. - I certainly wouldn't want a
> wrote in message
> Mike Schumann > wrote:
> : Everything is subject to the laws of supply and demand. The cost of gas
> : caps reflects the very limited market, which makes it extremely
uneconomical
> : for a new manufacturer to start up production to compete with the
existing
> : suppliers, hence the high prices.
>
> : Mike Schumann
>
> Don't forget the legal issues. I'd wager that's a bigger cost for
> many, many things airplane. Look at the Facet fuel pumps used all over.
> Exactly the same as the one you get at NAPA, but it has a safety-wire hole
> drilled in it, and serious legal ramifications if it fails.
>
> -Cory
>

> --
> ************************************************** ***********************
> * The prime directive of Linux: *
> * - learn what you don't know, *
> * - teach what you do. *
> * (Just my 20 USm$) *
> ************************************************** ***********************

Roger Halstead
July 23rd 03, 11:25 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:07:30 GMT, "Frank Van Haste"
> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>We had to buy a new fuel tank cap for the Archer (don't ask) and the shop
>sez the price on the part (not including painting) is about $177. Can
>anybody verify that that's really what the little round guy costs?

Think that's bad? Get a price on the ones used for the Aux tanks on
Bonanzas and a number of other planes. They are the one with the
lever on top, an "O-ring" around the outside, two "O-rings" around the
shaft, and three tabs that stick out when the lever is depressed.

"As I recall" the last price I heard as something like $700, or $800

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

>Frank

John Galban
July 24th 03, 01:26 AM
"Frank Van Haste" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Roy Smith" > wrote in message

> > Next time, make sure the cap is secure before you start your takeoff
> > roll :-)
> >
> Umm, it wasn't me but...yeah, right. The involved party is suitably
> mortified.

If that's what happened, you may want to check with the airport
administration. They usually save whatever FOD they pick up off the
runway if it looks like an airplane part.

Tell the involved party to feel lucky that you didn't have locking
gas caps. Those babies top $700 (each) brand new.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

John Godwin
July 24th 03, 07:17 PM
wrote in
:

> Don't forget the legal issues. I'd wager that's a bigger cost
> for
> many, many things airplane. Look at the Facet fuel pumps used all
> over. Exactly the same as the one you get at NAPA, but it has a
> safety-wire hole drilled in it, and serious legal ramifications if it
> fails.

Many years ago, the plastic upper door cam lock on the rear door of my
Piper Lance broke. It differs from the one on the front door only that the
cam is reversed. The cost for the front part was approximately $2.00; for
the rear was $70.00.

Go figure.

--
John Godwin