PDA

View Full Version : Broken line to Oil Temperature Probe, Repairable?

rkane33
July 23rd 03, 11:03 PM
I have a Cessna 172M with o-320-e2d engine.

The metal line connecting the gage to the Oil Temperature Probe broke. The
probe is inside the Oil pressure housing on the back of engine.

Can the line be reattached to the 2 inch long Copper probe by welding?
I believe the gage works under capillary effect.

Are there any Cessna approved replacements for the gage, line and probe or
do I have to replace with the Cessna OEM part? A Cessna dealer told me the
gage is either made by Stewart/Warner or Rodchester and costs around
$300-400.

Replacement Temperature gage and probes for homebuilts seem to cost around
$90.

TIA, John

July 24th 03, 01:02 AM
Bend over, lube up. I suspect a bone-fide Cessna part would be in
order, unless there's and STC for the electric type sender used in Pipers.

-Cory

rkane33 > wrote:
: I have a Cessna 172M with o-320-e2d engine.

: The metal line connecting the gage to the Oil Temperature Probe broke. The
: probe is inside the Oil pressure housing on the back of engine.

: Can the line be reattached to the 2 inch long Copper probe by welding?
: I believe the gage works under capillary effect.

: Are there any Cessna approved replacements for the gage, line and probe or
: do I have to replace with the Cessna OEM part? A Cessna dealer told me the
: gage is either made by Stewart/Warner or Rodchester and costs around
: $300-400.

: Replacement Temperature gage and probes for homebuilts seem to cost around
: $90.

: TIA, John

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Mhkat
July 25th 03, 03:19 AM
they are repairable. Remove guage and capillary tube and nut that attaches the
bulb to the engine. Send the whole mess out for repair. Not sure who else
does it but I just had one repaired by Air Parts of Lockhaven. You can find
them in the trade a plane. They will attach a new tube to your gauge and
recalibrate it. Last one I had done cost me about 150.
Mark

Google