PDA

View Full Version : Re: Finding a plane is most of the fun?

Bob Noel
July 26th 03, 10:52 PM
In article >, "Mike Noel"
> wrote:

> Several people who currently own or have owned a plane have told me they
> envy the search, because looking is the best part of the process. Now
> they've got me wondering why they think that way. Is there some kind of
> post-purchase blues a buyer inevitably goes through?

maybe it's the fact that before you buy you still pretend to have
lots and lots of options wrt which airplane you can afford.

:-)

--
Bob Noel

Jay Honeck
July 26th 03, 11:03 PM
> I'm still looking in the Tucson area to buy or partner in a nice Cherokee
> 180, C-172N, Tiger etc.
> Several people who currently own or have owned a plane have told me they
> envy the search, because looking is the best part of the process. Now
> they've got me wondering why they think that way. Is there some kind of
> post-purchase blues a buyer inevitably goes through?

Boy, I think they're nuts.

Looking for a good plane was long, expensive, and frustrating, as far as I'm
concerned.

HAVING a plane is the most fun! :)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Sydney Hoeltzli
July 26th 03, 11:46 PM
Mike Noel wrote:
> I'm still looking in the Tucson area to buy or partner in a nice Cherokee
> 180, C-172N, Tiger etc.
> Several people who currently own or have owned a plane have told me they
> envy the search, because looking is the best part of the process. Now
> they've got me wondering why they think that way.

Me, too.

IMHO they're nutz

Sydney (Grumman AA5B "Tigger")

Greg Hopp
July 27th 03, 07:54 PM
"Mike Noel" wrote:
> Several people who currently own or have owned a plane have told me they
> envy the search, because looking is the best part of the process. Now
> they've got me wondering why they think that way.
> Regards,
> Mike in Tucson (AVQ)

Mike, even though my partner & I were looking for the simplest of
airplanes, our search was long, expensive and fraught with half truths
and downright baloney, from private sellers no less. From the plane
with the "new" paint and the drips to prove it covering most of the
plane to the nice little plane painted (5 different shades of green).
Then there was the one that had a 14 year lapse while it sat in a
hangar (like we wouldn't notice *that* in the logbook), to the family
of a recently deceased pilot who wanted a 100% deposit (cashier's
check) before they'd let us get a pre-buy inspection.

Although just over a month into our ownership, we are relieved the
search is over.

Best,

Greg H.
Cols, OH.
N4691X

Mike Noel
July 27th 03, 11:06 PM
"Greg Hopp" > wrote in message
om...

> Mike, even though my partner & I were looking for the simplest of
> airplanes, our search was long, expensive and fraught with half truths
> and downright baloney, from private sellers no less.
Snip
> Although just over a month into our ownership, we are relieved the
> search is over.
>
> Best,
>
> Greg H.
> Cols, OH.
> N4691X

Yes, That is the way I hope to feel when the search is over and I have an
airworthy aircraft.
I have made some friends with the searching so far, though. Yesterday I
walked up to a couple of guys talking under the shade hangar, and one of
them flew me over to a nearby airport in his Comanche 250 to meet a friend
of his who restored and sold aircraft. His friend didn't have what I was
looking for, but we all had a nice talk about aircraft in general. Even got
to pet his dog who was hanging around the hangar! Then we flew back 'the
long way' and had lunch together at the airport cafe before parting. Since
I'm naturally a bit shy, this is not the kind of experience I would have
except when lusting after an airplane of my own.

Regards,
Mike in Tucson (AVQ)

James Blakely
July 27th 03, 11:31 PM
<snicker> I was thinking the same thing.

"Bob Noel" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Mike Noel"
> > wrote:
>
> > Several people who currently own or have owned a plane have told me they
> > envy the search, because looking is the best part of the process. Now
> > they've got me wondering why they think that way. Is there some kind of
> > post-purchase blues a buyer inevitably goes through?
>
> maybe it's the fact that before you buy you still pretend to have
> lots and lots of options wrt which airplane you can afford.
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Bob Noel

Jeff Osier-Mixon
July 29th 03, 06:43 PM
For me, deciding on a plane was very difficult. I trucked my family
over half the state sitting in various planes. We finally decided on a
Beech Sierra.

Looking for a plane was also pretty frustrating. Many are completely
misrepresented. NDH is a joke---every plane out there has had SOME kind
of altercation, even if it is just hangar rash. And don't let anyone
tell you that low time is not damaging. The plane we finally found was
flown very little over the year and a half before we bought it, and as a
result had rust in the cylinders.

Buying the plane was quite frustrating also. We came to an agreement
with the broker quickly, but the plane was not completely flyable yet as
he was having it detailed. The detailing ended up taking 3 weeks, and I
had to juggle the detailer with the prepurchase mechanic we used. The
prepurchase guy caught some stuff---insisted on inspecting rudder
bearings that didn't seem loose to me, for example---but missed a couple
of major items (the aforementioned rust in the engine, intermittent
radios, a nosegear downlock that apparently only worked intermittently).

Owning the plane has been heartbreaking so far. The plane was 1 hour
out of annual and had had a prepurchase inspection, so I felt reasonably
safe putting my family in it and flying halfway across the country. We
got as far as Idaho and the compass was leaking, radios were
intermittent, an suddenly the gear would not retract. The nosegear
collapsed on the runway as we made a precautionary landing to check on
the gear. That was May. The plane sat in Idaho for a month before we
could ferry it out. The engine shop discovered rust, spalled lifters
and camshaft, and fried counterweights in the engine when they tore it
down after the prop strike. It is now being overhauled, mostly at my
expense. I haven't seen it since the accident, as it is 2 states away,
and I won't be able to get it back until mid-September if I am lucky.

So.... well, all in all I guess finding it was the most fun.

(In all seriousness, I vote with Jay that owning and flying it is
probably the most fun. I am anxiously waiting for the fun part to begin!)

Lessons learned:

- GET A REALLY SOLID PREPURCHASE INSPECTION BY A TRUSTWORTHY MECHANIC.

- Look over the logbooks with a fine comb and a knowledgeable friend.
Don't be afraid to question anything amiss. Especially look for things
that are missing, or large blocks of unaccounted down time.

- Take the time to do the purchase RIGHT. We were frustrated about how
long the process took, considering it is possible to have a car
inspected and buy the damn thing in a few hours. As a result, for the
prepurchase we used the mechanic who was available, not the one who
would have done the best job. In fact, take time off work and go to the
prepurchase inspection. I really, REALLY wish I had done this.

- Apart from the deposit, don't give the seller a red cent until he is
handing you the keys. No matter how trustworthy he looks. Make noises
about looking at other planes while yours is in prepurchase. Sellers
need to be kept motivated if they are going to pay attention to you, and
not much gets their attention more than a deal potentially falling apart.

- Learn a little bit about complex aircraft systems before you start.
If you decide on a Whizbang 4000, don't just read the Aviation Consumer
article about it. Find an owner's group and hang out there before you
even start looking seriously at planes to buy. If people seem to talk
about the landing gear or the electrical system or whatever regularly,
LISTEN TO THEM. You are planning to join their ranks shortly!

Good luck with your search, and with the fun part afterward!

Jefro

joe
July 31st 03, 03:33 AM
buy a 140 & put dome piston in it , biger vales

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Google