PDA

View Full Version : Anti-collision lights required?

Grandpa B.
July 28th 03, 02:54 PM
Greetings from a frequent reader, and infrequent writer.

I have a question about the requirement for anti-collision lighting. I'm
restoring a '58 Champ, and there's no evidence of it ever having anything
other than Nav lights.

I bought it as a basket case, having been completely disassembled, but there
are no parts for a beacon, nor are there any switches, etc.

To whom can I turn for information on required lighting? I'm not intending
to do a faithful restoration, and also don't do a great deal of night
flying, so the actual hardware isn't important; I just want it to comply.

Jon

Michael Isaksen
July 28th 03, 09:37 PM
Jon,
I had a similar quest a few years back and found surprisingly good
info in the Aircraft Spruce catalog and a followup phone call to em.
Don't remember the name of the tech, but the catalog has a breakdown
by years with pictures of anti-collision lighting requirements.
That'll get you started.

www.aircraftspruce.com

If you're restoring and you don't have a catalog, get one free
(remember,...NAPA doesn't carry everything).

Grandpa B. <never.mind> wrote ...
> I have a question about the requirement for anti-collision lighting.
I'm
> restoring a '58 Champ, and there's no evidence of it ever having
anything
> other than Nav lights.

Grandpa B.
July 30th 03, 05:25 PM
Michael:

I have the AS&S catalog, but they've discontinued the page to which you
refer. Whelen *does* have it on their website, though. I guess I can do some
more research with the FAA to see if'n lights are required on mine. FAR
23.1397 (I think) says that if the type certificate was issued prior to
April (something) 1957, no anti-collision lighting is required. My guess -
for what that's worth - is that the type certificate was issued with the
original 7AC (or even an earlier Aeronca example) back in the '30s. The MPLS
FSDO guy wasn't certain, but he said they were likely required on mine.
However, since it hasn't ever had them, it may well be exempt.

I sent an email to the tech staff at Whelen, and am awaiting their response.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Jon B.

"Michael Isaksen" > wrote in message
> Jon,
> I had a similar quest a few years back and found surprisingly good
> info in the Aircraft Spruce catalog and a followup phone call to em.
> Don't remember the name of the tech, but the catalog has a breakdown
> by years with pictures of anti-collision lighting requirements.
> That'll get you started.
>
> www.aircraftspruce.com
>
> If you're restoring and you don't have a catalog, get one free
> (remember,...NAPA doesn't carry everything).

Henry Bibb
July 31st 03, 02:14 AM
When you get that answer, please post it here.
I'm interested in the same subject.

Henry Bibb

"Grandpa B." <never.mind> wrote in message

> I sent an email to the tech staff at Whelen, and am awaiting their
response.

Google