PDA

View Full Version : Re: Propellor pitch ...

Bob Noel
July 29th 03, 01:57 AM
In article >, "N3722A"
> wrote:

> I have a Sensenich 72CK-0-56 prop on my plane - is the "56" the pitch on
> the
> prop?

yes.

> Also, can one have a prop "re pitched" so to speak to give more of a
> climb
> performance than cruise? It seems I once read (correct me if I am wrong)
> that this number (56) is the pitch and if one can have a prop reworked to
> lower pitch (like 52) one can get a better climb performance.

I suggest you contact Sensenich about the limits of re-pitching.
I would think that changing the prop pitch would require either
an STC or field approval (if not already covered by the original
type certificate). For example, the STC to install a 160hp engine
in my cherokee 140 also allowed either the original 58 pitch
or a 60 pitch prop.

Good luck.

--
Bob Noel

Tony Roberts
July 29th 03, 04:25 AM

> Also, can one have a prop "re pitched" so to speak to give more of a climb
> performance than cruise?

I just discussed this with my tech last week. He told me that I can have
the prop repitched for climb on my 172H for around C$350.00.

--
Tony Roberts (tonyroberts@ remove shaw.ca)
PP-ASEL

July 29th 03, 04:30 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:05:14 -0700, "N3722A" > wrote:

>I have a Sensenich 72CK-0-56 prop on my plane - is the "56" the pitch on the
>prop?

Yup.

>Also, can one have a prop "re pitched" so to speak to give more of a climb
>performance than cruise? It seems I once read (correct me if I am wrong)
>that this number (56) is the pitch and if one can have a prop reworked to a
>lower pitch (like 52) one can get a better climb performance.

sig snip

http://www2.sensenich.com/direct/propdir.htm

Has a lot of useful information. If a pitch range is "approved" for
your particular aircraft (there are quite a few that have
standard/climb/cruise listed) you still need to ensure that the
certified static rpm range is still maintained.

Any prop shop that re-works/overhauls/sells Sensenich props should be
able to give the straight scoop on what is allowable for your
aircraft.

TC

Google