PDA

View Full Version : Tire talc...baby powder?

No Spam
August 1st 03, 07:12 PM
Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
can't use baby powder as tire talc?

TIA,

No Spam

mikem
August 1st 03, 08:26 PM
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam > wrote:

>Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
>can't use baby powder as tire talc?

I've been using it for 20 years.

MikeM
Skylane '1mm
Pacer '00z

No Spam
August 2nd 03, 02:51 AM
> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam > wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
>> can't use baby powder as tire talc?
>
> What is tire talc?

You put it inside the tire before inserting the tube to act as a lubricant
so it doesn't bind or fold inside the tire while inflating.

No Spam

Sydney Hoeltzli
August 2nd 03, 04:16 AM
ArtP wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam > wrote:
>>Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason I
>>can't use baby powder as tire talc?

> What is tire talc?

The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.

H. Adam Stevens
August 2nd 03, 04:38 AM
Are we changing tires or diapers here?
Or is this just kinky pilot stuff?
H.

"Sydney Hoeltzli" > wrote in message
> ArtP wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 18:12:05 GMT, No Spam > wrote:
> >>Yes, I know it'll smell better and reduce rash, but is there any reason
> >>can't use baby powder as tire talc?
>
> > What is tire talc?
>
> The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.

markjen
August 2nd 03, 09:51 AM
> The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.

You have to use the STC'd baby powder and add it to your MEL.

- Mark

Tony Roberts
August 5th 03, 04:54 AM
> I've been using it for 20 years.

We know. But have you tried it on your tire & tube :)

--
Tony Roberts (tonyroberts@ remove shaw.ca)
PP-ASEL

Dan Thomas
August 5th 03, 11:51 PM
"markjen" > wrote in message >...
> > The stuff for which most folks substitute baby powder.
>
> You have to use the STC'd baby powder and add it to your MEL.
>
> - Mark

Baby powder is just talc with perfume. Now if they'd make an
unscented version for allergic babies?

Incidentally, baby powder up until around 1960 or so was made not
of talc, but of chrysolite asbestos, one of the worst forms of the
stuff. All the panic over a few bits of asbestos found floating in the
air in some old buildings is a bit overblown, considering that us
older guys inhaled vast quantities of it while in our cribs. Never
(cough, choke) hurt me...

Dan

Tina Marie
August 7th 03, 12:35 AM
In article >, Russell Kent > wrote:
>Evidence for this statement? A quick web search turned up two published
>studies that seem to be at odds with your statement:
>http://www.ima-eu.org/en/abstractwong.pdf
>http://www.ima-eu.org/en/abstractgertig.pdf

You may be right. The references I found are all pretty old - early
90's.

Here's one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1603491&dopt=Abstract

And this page has 3 more references to studies. I can't get the links to work, but there may be enough info to look them up in other places:
http://www.2womenshealth.co.uk/32-31.htm

Tina Marie
--
Life is like an analogy. http://www.tripacerdriver.com

G.R. Patterson III
August 7th 03, 01:21 AM
Tina Marie wrote:

> Talc has recently been tied to overian cancer in women, ....

Ok, I admit that I haven't made a specialty of feminine hygiene products,
but what items which contain talc are women likely to insert into that
area?

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

Sydney Hoeltzli
August 7th 03, 04:33 AM
Tina Marie wrote:

> Talc has recently been tied to overian cancer in women, so perhaps
> switching to cornstarch on all babies wouldn't be a bad idea?

The current recommendation on baby powder is not to use
it on babies -- cornstarch or no :) Go figgur :)

If corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from
olives, what's baby oil made from?

Sydney

Montblack
August 7th 03, 05:39 AM
("G.R. Patterson III" wrote)
> Ok, I admit that I haven't made a specialty of feminine hygiene products,
....<snip>

Caution - more info than you probably want to know!

I have become somewhat of a spokesman for Vagisil and Monistat 7.

I would get "itchy" and/or darn near "raw" during some of our longer State
Park all day hikes. After a few years of dealing with it, I got a
recommendation to slather a little of that female stuff in the "rashy
regions" (a.k.a. - the swimsuit area <g>). Works like a charm. Stuff works
better than anything else I've tried.

(Aviation content)
Had a tube at Oshkosh, just in case - didn't need it though.

--
Montblack

Montblack
August 8th 03, 05:03 PM
("Snowbird" wrote)
> > While we're on the subject, what's in girl scout cookies? ;-)
>
> I met a boy scout who might have known, but he was thrown out
> for eating a brownie

....and the difference between decorative parsley on a plate and the waitress
serving it?

--
Montblack

Google