PDA

View Full Version : Oil, Oil, Oil

OSKI 3
August 2nd 03, 05:25 PM
All the experts I read on this board are either for or against Synthetics or
Semi Synthetics. But most seem to take as Gospel the words of a Guy
(Mechanic or FBO) who makes a LOT of money from fixing your Engines.
Do you think po poing a product is based on good will or business sense?
I would love one of the Gurus who submit these claims that one product
or another can ruin your engine, provide us with an reputable Oil analysis
proving that it does or does not help the Engine. I can qualify as one of
these
unsubstantiated posters. I used Mobil 1 Aero for 4 years in my Continental
IO 360 and it is still running without spitting up anything. I guess without
written proof I am Full of S_ _ t! Let's see some documentation guys!

Bill OParowski
N10SX
N101Sx

Newps
August 2nd 03, 09:14 PM
First of all oil is like religion. Second, what is happening to you and
your engine could not possibly mean less, statistically speaking. What
matters is how you fly your engine, not what oil you use. I have a
friend who uses his PA12 to run a powerline patrol. He has 6500 hours
SMOH and 3500 since new cylinders. He uses Phillips XC 20W-50. For
that reason and also because it's the cheapest that's also what I use.
But if I'm out on the road somewhere and I need a quart I'll take
whatever the FBO has if they don't have Phillips.

OSKI 3 wrote:

> All the experts I read on this board are either for or against Synthetics or
> Semi Synthetics. But most seem to take as Gospel the words of a Guy
> (Mechanic or FBO) who makes a LOT of money from fixing your Engines.
> Do you think po poing a product is based on good will or business sense?
> I would love one of the Gurus who submit these claims that one product
> or another can ruin your engine, provide us with an reputable Oil analysis
> proving that it does or does not help the Engine. I can qualify as one of
> these
> unsubstantiated posters. I used Mobil 1 Aero for 4 years in my Continental
> IO 360 and it is still running without spitting up anything. I guess without
> written proof I am Full of S_ _ t! Let's see some documentation guys!
>
> Bill OParowski
> N10SX
> N101Sx

Michael Isaksen
August 3rd 03, 02:04 PM
It is my recollection that the Mobil 1 Aero marketing catastrophe was
mainly due to owner/operators extending their oil change intervals per
Mobil's suggestions. IIRC the poor ability of the full synthetics to
keep the lead products in suspension was not a notable issue if the
3month/50hr change interval was maintained.

Does anyone remember the original marketing claims of Mobil 1 re their
change intervals?

I believe the secret to clean/long lasting internal engine components
is frequent oil changes. The brand seems to mean little according to
my local OH shop.

OSKI 3 >
> ..... I used Mobil 1 Aero for 4 years in my Continental
> IO 360 and it is still running without spitting up anything.

Dennis O'Connor
August 3rd 03, 09:51 PM
Exactly Mike... I owned a Belray Aero-1, oil distributership at that time,
and the Mobil fiasco put me out of business... Trying to get two hundred
hours between oil changes out of turbocharged engines was sheer folly.

Denny

"Michael Isaksen" > wrote in message
> It is my recollection that the Mobil 1 Aero marketing catastrophe was
> mainly due to owner/operators extending their oil change intervals per

Dennis O'Connor
August 3rd 03, 09:55 PM
My IO-520 chewed on Belray Aero-1 synthetic for 940 hours without so much as
a hiccup...
Denny

.. I used Mobil 1 Aero for 4 years in my Continental
> IO 360 and it is still running without spitting up anything. I guess
without
> written proof I am Full of S_ _ t! Let's see some documentation guys!
>
> Bill OParowski
> N10SX
> N101Sx

Mike Noel
August 4th 03, 03:34 AM
I have tried both full synthetic and synthetic blend in my car. I see a
fuel economy increase moving from non-synthetic to a synthetic blend (about
27 vs 28 mpg) but didn't notice a comparable improvement moving from the
blend to the full synthetic. The difference in viscosity at room
temperature between the synthetic blend and the non-synthetic is very
evident when you add it to the crankcase. The blend pores almost like water
but the non-synthetic pores like...uh...motor oil.

--
Mike in Tucson (AVQ)

"Dennis O'Connor" > wrote in message
> My IO-520 chewed on Belray Aero-1 synthetic for 940 hours without so much
as
> a hiccup...
> Denny
>
> . I used Mobil 1 Aero for 4 years in my Continental
> > IO 360 and it is still running without spitting up anything. I guess
> without
> > written proof I am Full of S_ _ t! Let's see some documentation guys!
> >
> > Bill OParowski
> > N10SX
> > N101Sx

Google