PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lesson in Glass

JimC
August 4th 03, 01:35 PM
Okay, I just found a way to avoid the silly mistake that I made. LPAero
will mail to you, for free, small pieces of window material so that you can
compare with your current installation and determine best match.

At my next flight physical I'll have to let the AME know what great 20/20
hindsight I have!

JimC

"JimC" > wrote in message
> I finally got around to dealing with the pilot side window in my '79
> Warrior. The window has had a crack in it from the day I bought it, which
> was about 15 months ago, and I've grown tired of looking at it. The
previous
> owner had attempted to retrieve something from inside the plane by
reaching
> through the storm window opening and pushed a little too much, creating
> nearly a 1 inch crack in the upper forward corner. I'd always planned to
> put in a new one and, now that I have the trim out for re-coloring, I
> decided it was a convenient time to take care of the glass.
>
> When ordering the new window I made an assumption ( now known to be a bad
> assumption ) that the glass in my plane was clear. I got as far as
removing
> the old window and laying the new one next to it to compare, checking to
see
> if the new one would need any edges trimmed before I realized that my old
> glass has a light gray tint. ARRRRRG *&$%#!.
>
> LESSON - Don't assume glass tint. Find a way to check it before ordering
> new. The light gray of old isn't that noticeable when viewed in the plane.
>
> I can only hope that the gray tint Plexiglas made today matches the old
> stuff as I'm off to get another window. Looks like E-bay for the new
clear
> one. I can't return it because I bought the main glass and storm window
> separately and then assembled them. Heck, that's the only part of the new
> glass that has even had the protective plastic removed.
>
> I also hope there won't be any more lessons worth sharing by the time I
get
> this completed !
>
> JimC

Jay Honeck
August 4th 03, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the valuable lesson, Jim. I'll be going down that road someday,
and it'll be good to remember...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

"JimC" > wrote in message
.. .
> Okay, I just found a way to avoid the silly mistake that I made. LPAero
> will mail to you, for free, small pieces of window material so that you
can
> compare with your current installation and determine best match.
>
> At my next flight physical I'll have to let the AME know what great 20/20
> hindsight I have!
>
> JimC
>
> "JimC" > wrote in message
> > I finally got around to dealing with the pilot side window in my '79
> > Warrior. The window has had a crack in it from the day I bought it,
which
> > was about 15 months ago, and I've grown tired of looking at it. The
> previous
> > owner had attempted to retrieve something from inside the plane by
> reaching
> > through the storm window opening and pushed a little too much, creating
> > nearly a 1 inch crack in the upper forward corner. I'd always planned
> > put in a new one and, now that I have the trim out for re-coloring, I
> > decided it was a convenient time to take care of the glass.
> >
> > When ordering the new window I made an assumption ( now known to be a
bad
> > assumption ) that the glass in my plane was clear. I got as far as
> removing
> > the old window and laying the new one next to it to compare, checking to
> see
> > if the new one would need any edges trimmed before I realized that my
old
> > glass has a light gray tint. ARRRRRG *&$%#!.
> >
> > LESSON - Don't assume glass tint. Find a way to check it before
ordering
> > new. The light gray of old isn't that noticeable when viewed in the
plane.

> > I can only hope that the gray tint Plexiglas made today matches the old
> > stuff as I'm off to get another window. Looks like E-bay for the new
> clear
> > one. I can't return it because I bought the main glass and storm window
> > separately and then assembled them. Heck, that's the only part of the
new
> > glass that has even had the protective plastic removed.
> >
> > I also hope there won't be any more lessons worth sharing by the time I
> get
> > this completed !
> >
> > JimC

JimC
August 5th 03, 12:10 AM
Glad to see you've made it back from another sojourn to the pilot's mecca,
Oshkosh. One of these days I will have to venture up that way in late July
and take in the festivities. It really sounds fun.

As for the side window, if you plan on changing yours anytime soon and you
either have or plan to use the clear variety, let me know. This window fits
your plane too.

As a matter of fact, it fits almost all (maybe all) PA28 planes.

Here is the list.

Piper Cherokee Warrior PA-28-151 s/n 28-7415001 thru 28-7715314

PA-28-161 s/n 28-7716001 thru 28-8616057
s/n 2816001 and up

Cadet PA-28-161 s/n 2841001 and up

Cherokee PA-28-180 s/n 28-7405001 thru 28-7505261

Archer II PA-28-181 s/n 28-7690001 thru 28-8690056
s/n 28-90001 thru 28-90205

Cherokee PA-28R-200 s/n 28R-7435001 thru 28R-7635545

Turbo Dakota PA-28-201T s/n 28-7921001 thru 28-7921095

Cherokee Arrow PA-28R-201 s/n 28R-7737002 thru 28R-7837335

Arrow PA-28R-201 s/n 2837001 and up

Cherokee Arrow PA-28R-201T s/n 28R-7703001 thru 28R-7803394

Turbo Arrow PA-28R-201T s/n 2803001 and up

Arrow IV PA-28RT-201 s/n 28R-7918001 thru 28R-8218039

PA-28RT-201T s/n 28R-7931001 and up

Cherokee PA-28-235 s/n 28-7410001 thru 28-7710089

Dakota PA-28-236 s/n 28-7911001 and up

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the valuable lesson, Jim. I'll be going down that road
someday,
> and it'll be good to remember...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"
>
> "JimC" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Okay, I just found a way to avoid the silly mistake that I made. LPAero
> > will mail to you, for free, small pieces of window material so that you
> can
> > compare with your current installation and determine best match.
> >
> > At my next flight physical I'll have to let the AME know what great
20/20
> > hindsight I have!
> >
> > JimC
> >
> > "JimC" > wrote in message
> > > I finally got around to dealing with the pilot side window in my '79
> > > Warrior. The window has had a crack in it from the day I bought it,
> which
> > > was about 15 months ago, and I've grown tired of looking at it. The
> > previous
> > > owner had attempted to retrieve something from inside the plane by
> > reaching
> > > through the storm window opening and pushed a little too much,
creating
> > > nearly a 1 inch crack in the upper forward corner. I'd always planned
> > > put in a new one and, now that I have the trim out for re-coloring, I
> > > decided it was a convenient time to take care of the glass.
> > >
> > > When ordering the new window I made an assumption ( now known to be a
> bad
> > > assumption ) that the glass in my plane was clear. I got as far as
> > removing
> > > the old window and laying the new one next to it to compare, checking
> > see
> > > if the new one would need any edges trimmed before I realized that my
> old
> > > glass has a light gray tint. ARRRRRG *&$%#!.
> > >
> > > LESSON - Don't assume glass tint. Find a way to check it before
> ordering
> > > new. The light gray of old isn't that noticeable when viewed in the
> plane.
> > >
> > > I can only hope that the gray tint Plexiglas made today matches the
old
> > > stuff as I'm off to get another window. Looks like E-bay for the new
> > clear
> > > one. I can't return it because I bought the main glass and storm
window
> > > separately and then assembled them. Heck, that's the only part of the
> new
> > > glass that has even had the protective plastic removed.
> > >
> > > I also hope there won't be any more lessons worth sharing by the time
> > get
> > > this completed !
> > >
> > > JimC

JimC
August 6th 03, 01:09 AM
I had not studied the list that closely, but you're probably right. I
noticed that the 140's are also missing. They are in the PA28 family too,
right?

I'm just glad that it fits so many of Piper's tribe. That increases the
probability that I'll find a new owner for the window :-)

JimC

"John Galban" > wrote in message
om...
> "JimC" > wrote in message
> > As for the side window, if you plan on changing yours anytime soon and
you
> > either have or plan to use the clear variety, let me know. This window
fits
> > your plane too.
> >
> > As a matter of fact, it fits almost all (maybe all) PA28 planes.
> >
> > Here is the list.
> <snip list>
>
> From the list, it looks like it'll fit the post '73 models, but not
> the earlier PA28s.