PDA

View Full Version : Comanche 260 - 1965

Sami Saydjari
December 5th 03, 09:45 PM
I heard recently that a 1965 Comanche 260 is the fastest of the Comanche
260s (by about 5 nts). Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have a
favorite year for Comanche 260s in terms of performance or capability?

-Sami
--

Cyber Defense Agency, LLC - Defending Critical Cyberspace

O. Sami Saydjari
Cyber Defense Agency
3601 43rd Street South
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494

www.CyberDefenseAgency.com
Phone: 715-424-2642
Fax: 715-424-2638

G.R. Patterson III
December 5th 03, 10:28 PM
Sami Saydjari wrote:

> I heard recently that a 1965 Comanche 260 is the fastest of the Comanche
> 260s (by about 5 nts).

According to _The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Used Airplanes_, all of the 260hp
Comanches have the same critical speeds. The only difference is that they were
fuel injected after 1966.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".

Ben Jackson
December 6th 03, 12:55 AM
In article >,
Sami Saydjari > wrote:
>I heard recently that a 1965 Comanche 260 is the fastest of the Comanche
>260s (by about 5 nts). Can anyone confirm this?

The 1965 260s look like 250s. Two side windows, bench seat in the
rear, no nose stretch to move the CG forward, etc. They DO get the
single-sided main gear forks, hubcaps and probably other mods. The
gross weight is 100 or 200 lbs less than the -B and -C models. The
net result is that the book speeds are fastest for 1965 260s out of
all the 250-260 line, but I'm not sure it's by 5 kts.

The fastest 250/260 would be the one you got for cheap due to the poor
condition of the cowling and upgraded to one of the more streamlined
aftermarket cowls.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

hs
December 6th 03, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, I must have an "interim" model. It's registered as a 1965 260. It is
fuel injected, 2 windows each side, no hub caps but single sided main forks.
Maybe it's a "rare" one.

Harry
KMKE

Ben Jackson
December 6th 03, 05:30 PM
In article t>,
hs > wrote:
>Hmmm, I must have an "interim" model. It's registered as a 1965 260. It is
>fuel injected, 2 windows each side, no hub caps but single sided main forks.

If you look at the wheels you should see 3 screw holes. The hubcaps
were probably removed and never replaced. I'm down to one -- I think
one screw was loose which allowed the hubcap to bend and crack at the
next screwhole. It's just 0.025" aluminum sheet. I keep meaning to
make a new one.

The REALLY rare bird is the carburated 1965 260. There's one a few
hangars down from me. Only about 20 serial numbers away from mine, too.
Small world!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

CriticalMass
December 8th 03, 12:24 AM
"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message
> According to _The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Used Airplanes_, all of the
260hp
> Comanches have the same critical speeds. The only difference is that they
were
> fuel injected after 1966.

George, mine is a '66, and it's fuel injected. So, injection was included
in that year. It's a 260 "B" model.

Google