PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played with th e Airmap 1000

R. Hubbell
December 9th 03, 04:58 AM
I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has had any
hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or even
second or third.

R. Hubbell

Kevin McCue
December 9th 03, 03:13 PM
They haven't been released yet. Hope to have one sometime next wk.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

hlongworth
December 9th 03, 08:58 PM
"R. Hubbell" > wrote in message news:<nDcBb.29269$ZE1.3393@fed1read04>...
> I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has had >any....

I saw the Airmap 1000 on display at AOPA Expo last month. Did not
have the time to play with it. When asked why the Airmap 1000 display
being much dimmer than that of the Airmap 500, Lowrance rep said it
was a prototype unit and the production unit should be as bright as
the 500. Functionwise, he said that it worked the same as the 500.
Sizewise, of course it is much bigger (5" vs. 3"). Looked like a great
alternative to the Garmin 196 (3.8" diagonal).

Jerald Malin
December 9th 03, 11:38 PM
I played with it at the AOPA Expo. I loved their HSI screen. It will give
the Garmin 196 panel screen a run for its money. It is much more detailed
than the HSI screen on the 500.

The screen was dim, as (they claimed) it did not have the back light in yet.
Supposedly, it will have a similar back light as the 500, which is very
bright and visible.

It is much bigger than my 300. But on the other hand, I won't have to squint
at the display to see it.

The reviews on the Airmap 500 were very positive, and the 1000 is supposed
to be the same thing but bigger screen. The 500 wont have as detailed an HSI
screen as the 1000 due to screen size.

The yoke mount is significantly beefier than my 300. The external antenna is
active, giving significantly better sensitivity, and the WAAS is also
active, giving much better accuracy. I understand the manual is much more
understandable.

I am waiting for them to hit the street, and I will probably upgrade. I do
like the non-propriatory memory card, and the fact that they supply
everything, CD's, mount, etc, everything BUT the wall wort for power inside.
Updates will be over the internet for $35. That beats the $75 and send back
the chip.

They still have runway extensions, and obstructions which seem to be missing
on the Garmin units.

My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
one, and they will announce a color screen.

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

"R. Hubbell" > wrote in message

> I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has
had any
> hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or
even
> second or third.
>

> R. Hubbell

Jay Honeck
December 9th 03, 11:50 PM
> My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
> one, and they will announce a color screen.

Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
GPS -- at OSH '99!

Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jerald Malin
December 10th 03, 12:29 AM
Jay:

You are correct, the AvMap is truly awesome. But I found it too big to suite
me. I fondled it at the Expo also. I got drool all over it.

I don't think it will fit on my yoke real well, and I can't really strap it
to my leg and still scribble down clearances. I do like that color display
though. It is gangbusters.

You are right about Lowrance, they never were particularly on time with
their promised goodies.

I am putting color LCD displays in IR Thermal Imaging cameras at work. They
run less than $60 in small quantities. I sure don't understand why they are
not more common. TFT LCD Technology is pretty common. I can't wait for the
OLED technology to come out with larger displays. They are awesome.

Now if somebody can come up with a 5" diag color GPS mounted on your yoke in
landscape mode, that would be the ticket.

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will
buy
> > one, and they will announce a color screen.
>
> Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
> GPS -- at OSH '99!
>
> Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

R. Hubbell
December 10th 03, 02:25 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:38:56 GMT "Jerald Malin" > wrote:

> I played with it at the AOPA Expo. I loved their HSI screen. It will give
> the Garmin 196 panel screen a run for its money. It is much more detailed
> than the HSI screen on the 500.
>
> The screen was dim, as (they claimed) it did not have the back light in yet.
> Supposedly, it will have a similar back light as the 500, which is very
> bright and visible.
>
> It is much bigger than my 300. But on the other hand, I won't have to squint
> at the display to see it.
>
> The reviews on the Airmap 500 were very positive, and the 1000 is supposed
> to be the same thing but bigger screen. The 500 wont have as detailed an HSI
> screen as the 1000 due to screen size.
>
> The yoke mount is significantly beefier than my 300. The external antenna is
> active, giving significantly better sensitivity, and the WAAS is also
> active, giving much better accuracy. I understand the manual is much more
> understandable.
>
> I am waiting for them to hit the street, and I will probably upgrade. I do
> like the non-propriatory memory card, and the fact that they supply
> everything, CD's, mount, etc, everything BUT the wall wort for power inside.
> Updates will be over the internet for $35. That beats the $75 and send back
> the chip.
>
> They still have runway extensions, and obstructions which seem to be missing
> on the Garmin units.
>
> My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
> one, and they will announce a color screen.

Color would be nice but I can live without if it's big enough, this looks
big enough. What are your impressions of the interface? Is it intuitive?
Is there a logical flow to get to menus, etc.? The price is very
competitive too.

R. Hubbell

> Jerry Malin
> Warrior N82045
>

> "R. Hubbell" > wrote in message
> >
> > I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has
> had any
> > hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or
> even
> > second or third.
> >

> > R. Hubbell

R. Hubbell
December 10th 03, 02:37 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:50:28 GMT "Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
> > one, and they will announce a color screen.
>
> Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
> GPS -- at OSH '99!

Not a good sign. ;)

> Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!

These are really big and a bit more $$ but they look nice.
The Airmap is going to be around $799 and that'd be a lot easier on the
wallet.

R. Hubbell

> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

R. Hubbell
December 10th 03, 02:39 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:38:56 GMT "Jerald Malin" > wrote:

> I played with it at the AOPA Expo. I loved their HSI screen. It will give
> the Garmin 196 panel screen a run for its money. It is much more detailed
> than the HSI screen on the 500.

BTW here's a shot of the HSI:

http://www.lowrance.com/images/Products/AM1000/HSISCRN.jpg

> The screen was dim, as (they claimed) it did not have the back light in yet.
> Supposedly, it will have a similar back light as the 500, which is very
> bright and visible.
>
> It is much bigger than my 300. But on the other hand, I won't have to squint
> at the display to see it.
>
> The reviews on the Airmap 500 were very positive, and the 1000 is supposed
> to be the same thing but bigger screen. The 500 wont have as detailed an HSI
> screen as the 1000 due to screen size.
>
> The yoke mount is significantly beefier than my 300. The external antenna is
> active, giving significantly better sensitivity, and the WAAS is also
> active, giving much better accuracy. I understand the manual is much more
> understandable.
>
> I am waiting for them to hit the street, and I will probably upgrade. I do
> like the non-propriatory memory card, and the fact that they supply
> everything, CD's, mount, etc, everything BUT the wall wort for power inside.
> Updates will be over the internet for $35. That beats the $75 and send back
> the chip.
>
> They still have runway extensions, and obstructions which seem to be missing
> on the Garmin units.
>
> My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
> one, and they will announce a color screen.
>
> Jerry Malin
> Warrior N82045
>

> "R. Hubbell" > wrote in message
> >
> > I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has
> had any
> > hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or
> even
> > second or third.
> >

> > R. Hubbell

Jay Honeck
December 10th 03, 02:10 PM
> You are correct, the AvMap is truly awesome. But I found it too big to
suite
> me. I fondled it at the Expo also. I got drool all over it.
>
> I don't think it will fit on my yoke real well

Here is a picture of my AvMap mounted on my yoke:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V3EF424C6

As you can see, it fits perfectly, and does not block any of the "Sacred
Six" instruments. I believe the yoke in my Pathfinder is the same as yours,
no?

I wouldn't wear it on my knee because of the heat it generates, and because
of the unnatural feeling of having to look down at my knees for critical
information. (Same reason I discarded my knee-board years ago.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Jerald Malin" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Jay:

, and I can't really strap it
> to my leg and still scribble down clearances. I do like that color display
> though. It is gangbusters.
>
> You are right about Lowrance, they never were particularly on time with
> their promised goodies.
>
> I am putting color LCD displays in IR Thermal Imaging cameras at work.
They
> run less than $60 in small quantities. I sure don't understand why they
are
> not more common. TFT LCD Technology is pretty common. I can't wait for the
> OLED technology to come out with larger displays. They are awesome.
>
> Now if somebody can come up with a 5" diag color GPS mounted on your yoke
in
> landscape mode, that would be the ticket.
>
> Jerry Malin
> Warrior N82045
>
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will
> buy
> > > one, and they will announce a color screen.
> >
> > Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
> > GPS -- at OSH '99!
> >
> > Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
December 10th 03, 02:12 PM
> These are really big and a bit more $$ but they look nice.
> The Airmap is going to be around $799 and that'd be a lot easier on the
> wallet.

Yes, they're a bit pricey. But for only $300 (remember, this is "Aviation
Money" -- so $300 is "only" :) more than the Garmin 295, you get twice the
GPS -- literally.

It has changed the way we fly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hankal
December 10th 03, 07:11 PM
>Here is a picture of my AvMap mounted on my yoke:

Oh My! You mounted it upside down. How can you read the buttons?
I am still waiting for my rail mount.
Hank N1441P

Jay Honeck
December 10th 03, 10:18 PM
> Oh My! You mounted it upside down. How can you read the buttons?

??? It's right-side-up, Hank. Did they change the design or something?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jerald Malin
December 10th 03, 11:46 PM
I thought the controls were pretty logical. Here's a link to the manual for
the Airmap 500, which should be pretty close to the 1000. They have not put
the 1000 manual on the web yet. The only non-logical part was the use of the
exit button to enter data rather than the ent button.

http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/Files/airmap500_0148-381_062003.pdf

The screen that I was shown had the moving map overlaid with a DG image and
there was all sorts of additional stuff, but I can't remember exactly what
all was there. It was very nice. I was impressed. It was a screen that was
not going to be on the 500, as it needed too many pixels.

I have seen prices as low as $689. That puts the great looking AvMap at
over twice as much airplane dollars.

I have flown without color for a long time. A good clear display is all I
need, color is what I want. Unfortunately, color is pricey, pretty but
pricey.

Jay:

I liked your picture of the AvMap on your yoke. You are going to force me
into an AvMap if I am not careful!!!

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

Jay Honeck
December 11th 03, 12:59 AM
> I have flown without color for a long time. A good clear display is all I
> need, color is what I want. Unfortunately, color is pricey, pretty but
> pricey.

You know, that's EXACTLY what I said, before seeing the AvMap demo'd at OSH
2003. (Actually, my son saw it from across the giant hangar, and almost
literally dragged me over to see it.) After spending over an hour with the
guy who designed it, I remarked that I simply couldn't believe everything it
did.

He chuckled, and said he'd only shown me MAYBE 5% of what the unit could
do...

Trust me, I had NO intention of spending that much $$ on a GPS before I saw
the unit. After I saw it, however, the $1700 seemed like a bargain, almost
too cheap to be true. (Especially after seeing the 295 demo'd, and walking
away unimpressed.)

> I liked your picture of the AvMap on your yoke. You are going to force me
> into an AvMap if I am not careful!!!

Well, Jerry, I can't think of another single place where an extra thousand
bucks can make such a huge difference in the way we fly. After years of
flying with our black & white Airmap 300, the color experience was simply
astounding. Mary and I were both truly surprised at how much easier and
quicker it was to pick out features on the map, due to the color gradations
and the vastly increased size of the screen. This translates into increased
situational awareness, easier navigation, less "head-down" time, and
enhanced safety.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

R. Hubbell
December 11th 03, 03:41 AM
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:12:26 GMT "Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > These are really big and a bit more $$ but they look nice.
> > The Airmap is going to be around $799 and that'd be a lot easier on the
> > wallet.
>
> Yes, they're a bit pricey. But for only $300 (remember, this is "Aviation
> Money" -- so $300 is "only" :) more than the Garmin 295, you get twice the
> GPS -- literally.

I'll have to have a better look at it I guess.

I was looking at different GPS at different sites and I was amazed at how
much cheaper the marine units were. It really makes me wonder why the
aviation handhelds are soo much more.

> It has changed the way we fly.

Hard to put a price to that.

R. Hubbell

> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dave Butler
December 11th 03, 02:50 PM
[somebody] wrote:
>>I have flown without color for a long time. A good clear display is all I
>>need, color is what I want. Unfortunately, color is pricey, pretty but
>>pricey.

It also sucks batteries. I can do without the color in exchange for the
additional battery life.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

R. Hubbell
December 11th 03, 05:09 PM
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:50:44 -0500 Dave Butler > wrote:

> [somebody] wrote:
> >>I have flown without color for a long time. A good clear display is all I
> >>need, color is what I want. Unfortunately, color is pricey, pretty but
> >>pricey.
> >

> It also sucks batteries. I can do without the color in exchange for the
> additional battery life.

Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?

R. Hubbell

> Dave
> Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Jay Honeck
December 11th 03, 06:10 PM
> I was looking at different GPS at different sites and I was amazed at how
> much cheaper the marine units were. It really makes me wonder why the
> aviation handhelds are soo much more.

You're new to this "flying thing", eh? :-)

ANYTHING that says "Aviation" on it costs twice as much -- or more. This
includes everything, from electronics to Chrysler alternators... :-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
December 11th 03, 06:12 PM
> Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?

Yep.

The AvMap doesn't even use batteries. We keep an extra "power pack" on
board (a 12-volt thingy that you can plug a cigar lighter into), in case the
plane's electrical system goes Tango Uniform in flight.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

TripFarmer
December 11th 03, 06:33 PM
Jay,

What all do you need to hook it up to? Antenna?

Trip

>Here is a picture of my AvMap mounted on my yoke:
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?V3EF424C6
>
>As you can see, it fits perfectly, and does not block any of the "Sacred
>Six" instruments. I believe the yoke in my Pathfinder is the same as yours,
>no?
>
>I wouldn't wear it on my knee because of the heat it generates, and because
>of the unnatural feeling of having to look down at my knees for critical
>information. (Same reason I discarded my knee-board years ago.)
>--
>Jay Honeck
>Iowa City, IA
>Pathfinder N56993
>www.AlexisParkInn.com
>"Your Aviation Destination"
>"Jerald Malin" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>> Jay:
>>
>, and I can't really strap it
>> to my leg and still scribble down clearances. I do like that color display
>> though. It is gangbusters.
>>
>> You are right about Lowrance, they never were particularly on time with
>> their promised goodies.
>>
>> I am putting color LCD displays in IR Thermal Imaging cameras at work.
>They
>> run less than $60 in small quantities. I sure don't understand why they
>are
>> not more common. TFT LCD Technology is pretty common. I can't wait for the
>> OLED technology to come out with larger displays. They are awesome.
>>
>> Now if somebody can come up with a 5" diag color GPS mounted on your yoke
>in
>> landscape mode, that would be the ticket.
>>
>> Jerry Malin
>> Warrior N82045
>>
>> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> buy
>> >
>> > Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
>> > GPS -- at OSH '99!
>> >
>> > Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!
>> > --
>> > Jay Honeck
>> > Iowa City, IA
>> > Pathfinder N56993
>> > www.AlexisParkInn.com
>> > "Your Aviation Destination"

Dave Butler
December 11th 03, 06:39 PM
R. Hubbell wrote:

>>It also sucks batteries. I can do without the color in exchange for the
>>additional battery life.
>

> Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?

Ahhh. Thanks. I didn't know that. Never mind.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Jay Honeck
December 11th 03, 08:30 PM
> What all do you need to hook it up to? Antenna?

The antenna is up on the glareshield, on the left side. I have routed the
wire leading to it down the yoke and under the dash, then up the left side
where the panel and side-wall meets. It actually tucks in behind the side
panel a bit, and is almost completely invisible.

The power wire is plugged into my cigar lighter. Again, I've routed this
wire down the yoke and under the panel, and it's almost completely
invisible. It's also completely out of the way, so you're not tripping over
wires. (Yet another upside of owning your own plane -- you can zip tie
wires under the dash so that you don't have to fight the cable octopus on
every flight...)

We've got the identical set-up for our old Airmap 300, on the co-pilot's
yoke.

The only weak link in the whole cockpit is the stupid cigar lighter, which
(IMHO) is NOT a reliable power outlet. It's simply too easy to be reaching
for something, and bump the dumb plug -- which causes a momentary
interruption in power. I'm looking at installing a more robust 12 volt
power outlet (Radio Shack has a few really good "screw on" models) at our
next annual.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hankal
December 12th 03, 01:00 AM
>The only weak link in the whole cockpit is the stupid cigar lighter, which
>(IMHO) is NOT a reliable power outlet. It's simply too easy to be reaching
>for something,

Jay.
I do not plug my AvMap into the cigar lighter outlet until I have started my
engine and switched my main CB to alternator.
I thing that the sudden power surge could harm the GPS.
Maybe I am to cautious, but better safe than sorry.
Just love that AvMap, would not fly wothout it.
Hank N1441P

Tom
December 12th 03, 01:29 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > I was looking at different GPS at different sites and I was amazed at
how
> > much cheaper the marine units were. It really makes me wonder why the
> > aviation handhelds are soo much more.
>
> You're new to this "flying thing", eh? :-)
>
> ANYTHING that says "Aviation" on it costs twice as much -- or more. This
> includes everything, from electronics to Chrysler alternators... :-(
> --
....and seat belts.

I remember several years ago our guys needing to replace a seat belt; they
could have bought a set at AutoZone (or who ever carried such things at they
time) for $8.00, but they had to use "Aircraft" belts, that cost like $68.

Came to find out they were the EXACT SAME BELTS...same links, same material,
virtually the same mounts.

Tom
December 12th 03, 01:31 AM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?
>
> Yep.
>
> The AvMap doesn't even use batteries. We keep an extra "power pack" on
> board (a 12-volt thingy that you can plug a cigar lighter into), in case
the
> plane's electrical system goes Tango Uniform in flight.

If the plane electrical system goes TU, so will the power to the lighter
jack (stopping power to your 12-volt thingy).

Javier Henderson
December 12th 03, 01:38 AM
"Tom" > writes:

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > Good point, but don't these units run off plane power?
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > The AvMap doesn't even use batteries. We keep an extra "power pack" on
> > board (a 12-volt thingy that you can plug a cigar lighter into), in case
> the
> > plane's electrical system goes Tango Uniform in flight.
>
> If the plane electrical system goes TU, so will the power to the lighter
> jack (stopping power to your 12-volt thingy).

I think the power pack he's talking about is a box with batteries inside,
and a cigar lighter jack. IE, independant of ship's power.

-jav

Kevin
December 12th 03, 01:45 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>>What all do you need to hook it up to? Antenna?
>

> The antenna is up on the glareshield, on the left side. I have routed the
> wire leading to it down the yoke and under the dash, then up the left side
> where the panel and side-wall meets. It actually tucks in behind the side
> panel a bit, and is almost completely invisible.
>
> The power wire is plugged into my cigar lighter. Again, I've routed this
> wire down the yoke and under the panel, and it's almost completely
> invisible. It's also completely out of the way, so you're not tripping over
> wires. (Yet another upside of owning your own plane -- you can zip tie
> wires under the dash so that you don't have to fight the cable octopus on
> every flight...)
>
> We've got the identical set-up for our old Airmap 300, on the co-pilot's
> yoke.
>
> The only weak link in the whole cockpit is the stupid cigar lighter, which
> (IMHO) is NOT a reliable power outlet. It's simply too easy to be reaching
> for something, and bump the dumb plug -- which causes a momentary
> interruption in power. I'm looking at installing a more robust 12 volt
> power outlet (Radio Shack has a few really good "screw on" models) at our
> next annual.

Does ram make a mount so you can mount it on the glareshield so it is
more heads up?

Thanks

Jay Honeck
December 12th 03, 02:31 AM
> I think the power pack he's talking about is a box with batteries inside,
> and a cigar lighter jack. IE, independant of ship's power.

Correctomundo! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
December 12th 03, 02:33 AM
> Does ram make a mount so you can mount it on the glareshield so it is
> more heads up?

Well, if you put a 6 inch TV screen up on the glareshield, I don't think
you'll see much out the front anymore! :-)

No, it's too big for the glareshield.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

R. Hubbell
December 12th 03, 03:20 AM
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:29:31 -0700 "Tom" > wrote:

> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > > I was looking at different GPS at different sites and I was amazed at
> how
> > > much cheaper the marine units were. It really makes me wonder why the
> > > aviation handhelds are soo much more.
> >
> > You're new to this "flying thing", eh? :-)
> >
> > ANYTHING that says "Aviation" on it costs twice as much -- or more. This
> > includes everything, from electronics to Chrysler alternators... :-(
> > --
> ...and seat belts.
>
> I remember several years ago our guys needing to replace a seat belt; they
> could have bought a set at AutoZone (or who ever carried such things at they
> time) for $8.00, but they had to use "Aircraft" belts, that cost like $68.
>
> Came to find out they were the EXACT SAME BELTS...same links, same material,
> virtually the same mounts.

It's bad but I guess if the market will bear those prices then they'll keep
charging them. And we'll keep paying and so on and on.... :\

Much more regulatory process involved too though, correct?

Next time you're at your favorite home improvement check out all the labels
stuck on a ladder. It's crazy and really jacks up the price of a ladder.

R. Hubbell

Tom
December 12th 03, 05:00 AM
"R. Hubbell" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:29:31 -0700 "Tom" > wrote:
>

> > "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > how
> > >
> > > You're new to this "flying thing", eh? :-)
> > >
> > > ANYTHING that says "Aviation" on it costs twice as much -- or more.
This
> > > includes everything, from electronics to Chrysler alternators... :-(
> > > --
> > ...and seat belts.
> >
> > I remember several years ago our guys needing to replace a seat belt;
they
> > could have bought a set at AutoZone (or who ever carried such things at
they
> > time) for $8.00, but they had to use "Aircraft" belts, that cost like
$68.

> > Came to find out they were the EXACT SAME BELTS...same links, same
material,
> > virtually the same mounts.
> >

> It's bad but I guess if the market will bear those prices then they'll
keep
> charging them. And we'll keep paying and so on and on.... :\
>
> Much more regulatory process involved too though, correct?

Yup...it wasn't the mechanics fault, it was required by FAA (TSO'ed or
somthing).

> Next time you're at your favorite home improvement check out all the
labels
> stuck on a ladder. It's crazy and really jacks up the price of a ladder.

Yep...the price of a "risk -free", idiot-proof world.

Thomas Borchert
December 12th 03, 08:50 AM
R.,

> Much more regulatory process involved too though, correct?

not for handheld GPS. In that case, it's more a monopoly of the
aviation data provider, aka Jeppesen.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

hlongworth
December 12th 03, 03:42 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message news:<eRFBb.299622$Dw6.997928@attbi_s02>...

> Yes, they're a bit pricey. But for only $300 (remember, this is "Aviation
> Money" -- so $300 is "only" :) more than the Garmin 295, you get twice the
> GPS -- literally.

Jay,
I checked all handheld/portable GPS options at AOPA expo this year
and was quite impressed with the AvMap. It certainly has the
brightest color display and is quite superior to the Garmin 295. For
B&W display, the Lowrance Airmap 1000 (when it is available) looked
like the best of the bunch. Aside from the initial cost of the unit,
what about the cost of database update? My recollection of newsgroup
search on Lowrance vs. Garmin is that it costs significantly more for
the Lowrance. How much does it cost to update AvMap database?

Thomas Borchert
December 12th 03, 04:48 PM
Hlongworth,

> My recollection of newsgroup
> search on Lowrance vs. Garmin is that it costs significantly more for
> the Lowrance.

35 $ for a Lowrance one-time update, 300 for a subscription, IIRC.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Jay Honeck
December 13th 03, 01:51 AM
> the Lowrance. How much does it cost to update AvMap database?

From $99 to $149, depending on vendor.

Pricey, but in this case you really do get what you pay for. (Remember,
this thing holds ALL the instrument approaches, not just airport
information...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Roger Halstead
December 13th 03, 04:57 AM
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:58:02 -0800, "R. Hubbell"
> wrote:

>I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has had any
>hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or even
>second or third.

No, but it only took one look at the cover story in "Flying" magazine
to convince me I want one in the Debonair...well actually it's a
system with two displays.

Unfortunately in that deb that would mean a new panel and time I'd get
done the panel would cost more than the whole airplane is worth...
But if I could fly it for at least another 10 years?
Let's see...The complete 1000 system with all the goodies, get the age
wrinkles ironed out, new tip tanks, a new paint job, a good corosion
proofing, AND a new interior.... Oh, and a major as the engine is
getting close to run out... I think we passed a $100,000 a ways back.
New might be cheaper?
OTOH I'd still have my baby.

I'm still thinking about the Blue Mountain system for the G-III.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

>R. Hubbell

Google