PDA

View Full Version : J3 Cub ELT

Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club
December 28th 03, 02:48 PM
Does anyone have any tips or photo's of an ELT mounted in Cub?
Or any links to Cub sites..

Thanks, Phil in IL
..

EDR
December 28th 03, 04:15 PM
In article >, Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic
Club > wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips or photo's of an ELT mounted in Cub?
> Or any links to Cub sites..

The ELT bracket in my Champ is tiewrapped to the vertical post by the
left rear window.

hjarrett
December 28th 03, 04:51 PM
What do they mean by "9 V Battery Pack". I have an ELT now that uses an $80
battery every 2 years. I cut the old one open and it had a stack of $.98
Duracells buried in the E-Poxy. I plan to replace it with something that
doesn't cost a fortune to keep in batteries (any advice?). I'll make up my
own pack for the future on this one and use it in a homebuilt.
Hank

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> "Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club" wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips or photo's of an ELT mounted in Cub?
>
> The EBC-102 is a good choice for fabric aircraft. It uses a 9 volt battery
and
> doesn't need an external antenna. If you mount it in the cabin, you also
don't
> need a remote.
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ebc_elt.php
>
> George Patterson
> Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
> "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
December 28th 03, 06:09 PM
"Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club" wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips or photo's of an ELT mounted in Cub?

The EBC-102 is a good choice for fabric aircraft. It uses a 9 volt battery and
doesn't need an external antenna. If you mount it in the cabin, you also don't
need a remote.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ebc_elt.php

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
December 28th 03, 08:15 PM

You can see one here - http://www.wicksaircraft.com/gotopage.php?page=195

> I plan to replace it with something that
> doesn't cost a fortune to keep in batteries (any advice?).

The Amer-King 450 uses Duracells. It's also pretty inexpensive. It requires an
external antenna and installation of a remote panel, however. It is possible to
mount the antenna in the empennage of a fabric-covered aircraft. I have photos
of such an installation somewhere (translation - "they're lost") that I used to
get the FSDO to sign off on the MBR antenna mounting in my aircraft.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

John Galban
December 30th 03, 01:47 AM
"hjarrett" > wrote in message >...
> What do they mean by "9 V Battery Pack". I have an ELT now that uses an $80
> battery every 2 years. I cut the old one open and it had a stack of $.98
> Duracells buried in the E-Poxy. I plan to replace it with something that
> doesn't cost a fortune to keep in batteries (any advice?). I'll make up my
> own pack for the future on this one and use it in a homebuilt.
> Hank

I have the EBC installed in my plane, mounted on the fuselage wall
right by my left shoulder. I like the fact that, if need be, I can
pull on a lanyard and take the whole unit with me while exiting the
plane (no external antenna). I can also verify if it's been activated
just by looking at it.

The downside is the battery pack. The 9V battery pack they talk
about is just six Duracell AAs buried in epoxy. They cost about $40
for a new one.

My next ELT will probably be an Ameri-King. I like the fact that
you can use regular Duracells and also hook up a microphone for
emergency transmissions.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Grandpa B.
December 31st 03, 09:38 PM
I recently installed an ACK (E-10?) in my Champ (before covering). The
instructions are *very* strict about mounting the bracket to solid
structure. I don't think an AI or FSDO will approve one tie-wrapped to the
airframe tubing these days. Mine is bolted through the (wood) floorboard,
which was re-inforced with a 1/4 inch doubler, and an .040 aluminum plate
(under the floor), and clamped to two bottom frame tubes (three Adel-type
clamps). The antenna bracket was welded to a (nearly) vertical member,
leaving the antenna inside the airframe. The AI who did the pre-cover
inspection asked me to photograph everything to assist in the approval. He
figured it'd pass OK.

The Champ has lotsa room behind the rear seat on the floor, which is also
where the battery is. The ACK uses heavy-duty D-cell batteries, which should
cost $3-4, plus a 'watch' battery in the remote.

It's *not* a Cub, but I can scan the photos and email 'em, if you'd like...

Jon B.

"Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club" > wrote in
message ...
> Does anyone have any tips or photo's of an ELT mounted in Cub?
> Or any links to Cub sites..
>
> Thanks, Phil in IL
> .

Google