PDA

View Full Version : Online source for oil filters?

Ben Smith
December 30th 03, 04:23 PM
For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters from?
It's time for me to stock up again... (I use CH48110's) TIA,

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Jay Honeck
December 30th 03, 06:10 PM
> Usually Aircraft Spruce. http://www.aircraftspruce.com

Me, too.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Masino
December 30th 03, 07:22 PM
Ben Smith > wrote:
> For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters from?
> It's time for me to stock up again... (I use CH48110's) TIA,

http://www.chiefaircraft.com

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

G.R. Patterson III
December 30th 03, 07:40 PM
Ben Smith wrote:

> For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters from?

Usually Aircraft Spruce. http://www.aircraftspruce.com

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Maule Driver
December 30th 03, 10:54 PM
Me too. Helps to order several year's worth to bury the shipping charge.

Happy New Year

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Usually Aircraft Spruce. http://www.aircraftspruce.com
>
> Me, too.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

December 31st 03, 12:58 AM
I recently did some shop and compare for supplies for an oil change. I
compared:

spruce www.aircraftspruce.com
chief www.chiefaircraft.com
wagaero www.wagaero.com

Overall, spruce had the best price (by about $10) for a case of aeroshell, a
ch48110 and some miscellaneous other stuff (some new plugs, safety wire,
etc). I ended up ordering from spruce but see below.

One annoying thing about spruce is that they don't include the shipping
price in the final total. They're usually not out of line, but I'd prefer
to see the whole price before I place the order. Conversely, wagaero tells
you the exact price before you complete the transaction. I never got far
enough through chief's process to find out how they do it.

Of the three, I think chief has the best web catalog although spruce isn't
bad. wag's online catalog is very difficult to browse with.

I've previously ordered from both spruce and wag and have never had any
problems (i.e. missing items, incorrect charges, etc).

cheers,
mark

"Ben Smith" > wrote in message
> For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters from?
> It's time for me to stock up again... (I use CH48110's) TIA,
>
> --
> Ben
> C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Ben Smith
December 31st 03, 01:43 AM
> One annoying thing about spruce is that they don't include the shipping
> price in the final total.

I noticed that about 'spruce too.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like the filter is $15 no matter where ya
find it. I went with Wag Aero, to support the Wisconsin business, and they
will probably arrive quicker.

--Ben

OSKI 3
December 31st 03, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, I heard about good prices on filters at "www.globalfiltration.com "
Thought I would share! Happy New Year.

Bill OParowski
N10SX
N101SX

December 31st 03, 06:29 PM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:22:29 +0000, Jay Masino wrote:

> Ben Smith > wrote:
>> For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters from?
>> It's time for me to stock up again... (I use CH48110's) TIA,
>
> http://www.chiefaircraft.com

Another vote for Chief. They are in Oregon so there is no sales tax.

G.R. Patterson III
December 31st 03, 07:11 PM
OSKI 3 wrote:

> Hey guys, I heard about good prices on filters at "www.globalfiltration.com "

Just checked it out. Looks like all they have are filters for turbines.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

G.R. Patterson III
December 31st 03, 07:19 PM
Ben Smith wrote:

> For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters from?
> It's time for me to stock up again... (I use CH48110's) TIA,

You might want to consider trying the new Challenger brand filters. I saw them at
AOPA Expo, and they appear to be at least equal in quality to Champion, but they're
about $2.00 cheaper. Aircraft Spruce sells them.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

OSKI 3
December 31st 03, 08:06 PM
George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Anybody interested in filters, I got this last year from Global. I really
don't think they are out of business. Don't take the word of an EXPERT, get it
from the people
who own the comp[any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Oparowski

Bulletin….Bulletin….Bulletin….Bulletin….Bu lletin….

How would you like to save10%, 20% up to 30% off your spin on filter purchases?
Sound impossible? It isn’t, and we can help you do just that.

If you are currently using Champion Spin on type Oil Filters CH48103, CH48104,
CH48108, Ch48109, Ch48110 or CH48111 - we have a new alternative for you.

Global Filtration, Inc. has just signed an exclusive agreement to market a new
generation of high quality, low cost elements that will generate substantial
savings for your company.

The enclosed reference chart outlines the details of what products we have to
offer and the cross reference numbers for the Champion filters. These units
will be available the second part of November. We fully guarantee your
satisfaction and savings. We are committed to our customers in both our
products and our service, please call us toll free if you have any questions
(1-800-980-2525).

You may pre-order these units by calling and asking for the customer service
department, or myself. In addition to the spin on filters - we also have the
oil analysis kits, with a 21 metal check as a preventative maintenance feature
for your general aviation needs. We look forward to hearing from you.

Spin-On Oil Filter-NEW FAA-PMA!
Cross Reference Chart - Broker Prices!

Global Filtration MSRP Champion MRSP
CP 48103 -$9.95 CH 48103 - $20.95
CP 48104 - $9.95 CH 48104 - $21.95
CP 48108- $9.95 CH 48108 - $20.95
CP 48109-$10.95 CH 48109- $21.95
CP 48110- $9.95 CH 48110 - $ 20.95
CP 48111- $10.95 CH48111 - $21.95
Global Filtration Champion

PACKAGED IN “SIX PACKS” PACKAGED ONLY IN “TWELVE
PACKS”
SIX SPOT WELDS ON NUT FOUR SPOT WELDS ON NUT
THICKER STAINLESS STEEL SUPPORT THINNER ANNODIZED SUPPORT
SPECIAL RUBBER SEALS MINIMAL RUBBER GASKETS
6 SAFETY WIRING HOLES 4 SAFETY WIRING “TABS”
55 years of experience, same German
engineering as used on Porche, Audi, Mercedes
Benz!

DIRECT ORDERS CAN BE PLACED BY CALLING 800-980-2525
FAX YOUR ORDERS 24 HOURS PER DAY AT 713-856-9822

We can supply you with quality Oil and Filter Analysis kits as well, give us a
call today to start saving money on the highest quality products on the market!

G.R. Patterson III
December 31st 03, 10:21 PM
J wrote:

> Another vote for Chief. They are in Oregon so there is no sales tax.

But they charge more than Aircraft Spruce, and, being in New Jersey, I don't pay
sales tax on orders from either.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Jay Masino
December 31st 03, 11:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III > wrote:
>> Another vote for Chief. They are in Oregon so there is no sales tax.
> But they charge more than Aircraft Spruce, and, being in New Jersey, I don't pay
> sales tax on orders from either.

Hmmm. That's interesting. To tell you the truth, I've never compared. I
started using Chief 11-12 years ago, and they've always given me good
service, so I stuck with them.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Ray Bengen
January 1st 04, 10:31 PM
Problem with the Challenger which I find out after I bought one for my
io-540 is no wrench fits the lug. Most strange, but there it is. Gotta be
metric but I'm surprised they would do that for a "plug-compatible"
replacement...

Ray

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Ben Smith wrote:
> >
> > For those that aero-shop online, where do you order your oil filters
from?
> > It's time for me to stock up again... (I use CH48110's) TIA,
>
> You might want to consider trying the new Challenger brand filters. I saw
them at
> AOPA Expo, and they appear to be at least equal in quality to Champion,
but they're
> about $2.00 cheaper. Aircraft Spruce sells them.
>
> George Patterson
> Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
> "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Jay Honeck
January 2nd 04, 03:24 PM
> Problem with the Challenger which I find out after I bought one for my
> io-540 is no wrench fits the lug.

Challenger sucks. We bought one and found the same thing -- no wrench in my
tool box fit the lug.

Then -- worst of all -- the thing is made out of a much heavier-gauge metal
than the Champions. While at first this seemed like a good thing, it made
cutting the filter open to inspect the filter damn-near impossible.

In fact, it destroyed the cutting wheel on my filter cutter, requiring that
I buy a new one. The two bucks I saved was more than lost in that expense,
plus the extra time involved.

Since then, it's only Champions on my O-540.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hankal
January 3rd 04, 12:23 AM
>In fact, it destroyed the cutting wheel on my filter cutter, requiring that
>I buy a new one. The two bucks I saved was more than lost in that expense,
>plus the extra time involved.

I never cut my filter, but send a sample to the lab every 100 hours.
Hank

Jay Honeck
January 3rd 04, 03:12 PM
> I never cut my filter, but send a sample to the lab every 100 hours.

Inspecting your oil filter for debris is something that should be done at
every oil change.

Doing so before buying my plane saved me $5000.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hankal
January 3rd 04, 06:45 PM
>Inspecting your oil filter for debris is something that should be done at
>every oil change.

But would that not be indicated when my lab work gets done.
Hank

Jay Honeck
January 3rd 04, 10:01 PM
> >Inspecting your oil filter for debris is something that should be done at
> >every oil change.

Not necessarily.

Lab work will detect microscopic particles, and may miss big chunks.

The oil analysis for the engine that was in my plane (that was making metal
in little slivers the size of fingernails) came back "normal".

Cut 'em open, Hank. It take two minutes with the proper tool, and can save
you a bundle.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hankal
January 4th 04, 12:26 AM
>Cut 'em open, Hank. It take two minutes with the proper tool, and can save
>you a bundle.

Thanks for the advise. Wilco
Hank

CriticalMass
January 6th 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Lab work will detect microscopic particles, and may miss big chunks.
>
> The oil analysis for the engine that was in my plane (that was making metal
> in little slivers the size of fingernails) came back "normal".
>
> Cut 'em open, Hank. It take two minutes with the proper tool, and can save
> you a bundle.

Plus, he said he was analyzing each 100 hrs. A lot can happen in 100
hrs, and oil changes should be considerably more frequent that that.

I may be anal retentive, but I try to do it every 35.

Jay Honeck
January 6th 04, 07:04 PM
> Plus, he said he was analyzing each 100 hrs. A lot can happen in 100
> hrs, and oil changes should be considerably more frequent that that.
>
> I may be anal retentive, but I try to do it every 35.

I aim for every 25, and usually hit it by 35. Longest ever, with filter
change, was 41, after a long trip racked up 15 hours.

After spending $18K rebuilding our engine, oil looks pretty cheap! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

CriticalMass
January 11th 04, 11:40 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> After spending $18K rebuilding our engine, oil looks pretty cheap! :-)

Bingo.

I just had to do my IO-540, cost over $25K. Oil's cheap insurance.

Google