PDA

View Full Version : Re: Puget Sound TFRs reduced in size - charted here

David H
January 9th 04, 09:12 PM
CJ,

I've put up a preliminary map showing the new Puget Sound TFRs - and the old
ones for comparison - up on the Pacific Northwest Flying website. Direct link
here:

http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/pnwflying/Public/tfrs/newoldtfrs.html

(the images are somewhat large to show detail, sorry to those on slow
connections)

I used the info on the FAA's graphical TFR website, so this may or may not be
highly accurate. In any case, I think it does show the changes fairly well.
Now I guess we have to fight to keep these from becoming permanent.

I agree that we all have to be careful with these until the details shake out.
I'll update the images when things change.

Hope somebody finds these helpful.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

PS: Looks like we will be getting a vice presidential fundraiser TFR in Seattle
on Jan 13th - watch for details.

C J Campbell wrote:

> The Puget Sound and Hermiston TFRs were rescinded at 11:49 1/9/04 and
> replaced with National Security Areas, possibly as a prelude to permanent
> publication. Jeppesen Flitestar is still showing the old TFRs, however, and
> since the Jepp engine is the one that the FAA and AOPA use on their web
> sites I would advise caution when flying in these areas. Also, the new NSA
> NOTAMs do not specifically say that the old TFRs are rescinded, although
> there is a series of FDC NOTAMS that say this, referencing the new NOTAMS.
> The new NOTAMS do not look like they are accurately plotted. In particular,
> the Bremerton NSA does not cover the shipyard and the Everett NSA is out in
> the middle of the Sound. Seattle FSS has noticed this and is seeking
> clarification.
>
> The new NSAs are much smaller, but the Bangor NSA no longer has a cutout for
> Apex. The ceilings for the NSAs are mostly 100 feet lower than the old TFRs,
> but the Hermiston NSA now only goes to 5000 feet instead of 10,000 feet.
>
> I would give it a day or so before just plunging into the area. It looks
> like some changes are already in the works.
>
> --
> Christopher J. Campbell
> World Famous Flight Instructor
> Port Orchard, WA
>
> If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the animals.

Bob Gardner
January 9th 04, 09:57 PM
Excellent work, David!

Bob Gardner

"David H" > wrote in message
> CJ,
>
> I've put up a preliminary map showing the new Puget Sound TFRs - and the
old
> ones for comparison - up on the Pacific Northwest Flying website. Direct
link
> here:
>
> http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/pnwflying/Public/tfrs/newoldtfrs.html
>
> (the images are somewhat large to show detail, sorry to those on slow
> connections)
>
> I used the info on the FAA's graphical TFR website, so this may or may not
be
> highly accurate. In any case, I think it does show the changes fairly
well.
> Now I guess we have to fight to keep these from becoming permanent.
>
> I agree that we all have to be careful with these until the details shake
out.
> I'll update the images when things change.
>
> Hope somebody finds these helpful.
>
> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying
>
> PS: Looks like we will be getting a vice presidential fundraiser TFR in
Seattle
> on Jan 13th - watch for details.
>

> C J Campbell wrote:
>
> > The Puget Sound and Hermiston TFRs were rescinded at 11:49 1/9/04 and
> > replaced with National Security Areas, possibly as a prelude to
permanent
> > publication. Jeppesen Flitestar is still showing the old TFRs, however,
and
> > since the Jepp engine is the one that the FAA and AOPA use on their web
> > sites I would advise caution when flying in these areas. Also, the new
NSA
> > NOTAMs do not specifically say that the old TFRs are rescinded, although
> > there is a series of FDC NOTAMS that say this, referencing the new
NOTAMS.
> > The new NOTAMS do not look like they are accurately plotted. In
particular,
> > the Bremerton NSA does not cover the shipyard and the Everett NSA is out
in
> > the middle of the Sound. Seattle FSS has noticed this and is seeking
> > clarification.
> >
> > The new NSAs are much smaller, but the Bangor NSA no longer has a cutout
for
> > Apex. The ceilings for the NSAs are mostly 100 feet lower than the old
TFRs,
> > but the Hermiston NSA now only goes to 5000 feet instead of 10,000 feet.
> >
> > I would give it a day or so before just plunging into the area. It looks
> > like some changes are already in the works.
> >
> > --
> > Christopher J. Campbell
> > World Famous Flight Instructor
> > Port Orchard, WA
> >
> > If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the
animals.

David Brooks
January 9th 04, 10:25 PM
Damn. I got a new sectional and TAC just after Christmas and dutifully drew
in the old restrictions.

Well, I don't really mean damn.

-- David Brooks

"David H" > wrote in message
> CJ,
>
> I've put up a preliminary map showing the new Puget Sound TFRs - and the
old
> ones for comparison - up on the Pacific Northwest Flying website. Direct
link
> here:
>
> http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/pnwflying/Public/tfrs/newoldtfrs.html
>
> (the images are somewhat large to show detail, sorry to those on slow
> connections)
>
> I used the info on the FAA's graphical TFR website, so this may or may not
be
> highly accurate. In any case, I think it does show the changes fairly
well.
> Now I guess we have to fight to keep these from becoming permanent.
>
> I agree that we all have to be careful with these until the details shake
out.
> I'll update the images when things change.
>
> Hope somebody finds these helpful.
>
> David H
> Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
> Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying
>
> PS: Looks like we will be getting a vice presidential fundraiser TFR in
Seattle
> on Jan 13th - watch for details.
>

> C J Campbell wrote:
>
> > The Puget Sound and Hermiston TFRs were rescinded at 11:49 1/9/04 and
> > replaced with National Security Areas, possibly as a prelude to
permanent
> > publication. Jeppesen Flitestar is still showing the old TFRs, however,
and
> > since the Jepp engine is the one that the FAA and AOPA use on their web
> > sites I would advise caution when flying in these areas. Also, the new
NSA
> > NOTAMs do not specifically say that the old TFRs are rescinded, although
> > there is a series of FDC NOTAMS that say this, referencing the new
NOTAMS.
> > The new NOTAMS do not look like they are accurately plotted. In
particular,
> > the Bremerton NSA does not cover the shipyard and the Everett NSA is out
in
> > the middle of the Sound. Seattle FSS has noticed this and is seeking
> > clarification.
> >
> > The new NSAs are much smaller, but the Bangor NSA no longer has a cutout
for
> > Apex. The ceilings for the NSAs are mostly 100 feet lower than the old
TFRs,
> > but the Hermiston NSA now only goes to 5000 feet instead of 10,000 feet.
> >
> > I would give it a day or so before just plunging into the area. It looks
> > like some changes are already in the works.
> >
> > --
> > Christopher J. Campbell
> > World Famous Flight Instructor
> > Port Orchard, WA
> >
> > If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the
animals.

Brian Burger
January 10th 04, 06:01 AM
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, David H wrote:

> I've put up a preliminary map showing the new Puget Sound TFRs - and the
old
> ones for comparison - up on the Pacific Northwest Flying website.
Direct link
> here:
>
> http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/pnwflying/Public/tfrs/newoldtfrs.html

Excellent news; this will make wandering south from my part of Canada
(CYYJ) much easier.

(OK, OK. Not 'wandering' - but it'll still make Puget Sound flights easier
on the nerves.)

--
Brian.

Google