PDA

View Full Version : On The Subject of Choke-Removal, Continental Engines

N. Shane
August 19th 04, 06:19 PM
I am completing a top overhaul on a 200 hour "Re-Manufacture" by Chuck
Ney Enterprises.

The former owner had this process done, and the engine was given a
fresh logbook.

If you are wondering about the reliability of such engines, ponder the
possibility of having to replace all the cylinders at 200 hours TIS.

In July, I talked with owner Chuck Ney and he noted "these (test
stand) temperatures are the highest I've seen." Yet, his technician
signed off the work, and the engine was delivered to the customer.

It turns out, they had accepted rebored cylinders from the customer,
then subject them to an additional rebore to eliminate the choke,
effectively terminating their life-cycle.

I'm installing ECI cermanil cylinders in the wake of this disaster.
They come highly-recommended. In our aviation neighborhood, a
half-dozen owners have now installed them with favorable results.

If anyone is considering this process, tread carefully. You might
spend a lot of money to be worse-off than if the tired, old engine
stays where it is!

Andy Shane, Owner of Skywagon N1724C

Google