PDA

View Full Version : IO-360 break-in and oil recommendations?

August 20th 04, 06:02 PM
Our normally-aspirated Arrow IV is currently in the shop getting a Lycoming
factory rebuilt ("zero time") IO-360-C1C6 installed. This is the first time
in my 2000 hr. flying career that I have ever had to deal with an engine
break-in, so I would welcome advice from the group.

Lycoming apparently recommends operation at 65-75% for the first 50 hours
"or until oil consumption stabilizes." This is to assure proper piston ring
seating. They also recommend use of straight mineral oil during this
period, and we plan to run on Aeroshell 50 weight mineral oil. Anybody
suggest otherwise?

On our old engine, we ran single weight SAE 50 (Aeroshell 100 AD) year-round
with excellent results. (we fly out of PAE, where it rarely gets very cold
in the winter.) In around 2150 hours of operation (i.e. well past TBO), we
never had a major problem. Even now, we are changing engines on general
principles, not because of any indication that anything is wrong.
Continuing to use Aeroshell 100 AD (after break-in) is therefore rather
tempting, but it seems that everyone is extolling the virtues of
multi-viscosity, semi-synthetic oils. These contain an anti-scuff additive
which is required on some larger Lycoming engines. Apparently, Lycoming has
no problems with the additive in smaller engines like the IO-360, but
doesn't require or even specifically recommend it. Any thoughts from the
group on oil selection for general (after break-in) operation?

--
-Elliott Drucker

G.R. Patterson III
August 20th 04, 07:02 PM
wrote:

> Lycoming apparently recommends operation at 65-75% for the first 50 hours
> "or until oil consumption stabilizes." This is to assure proper piston ring
> seating. They also recommend use of straight mineral oil during this
> period, and we plan to run on Aeroshell 50 weight mineral oil. Anybody
> suggest otherwise?

That was the recommendation for breakin of my O-320 when I bought the Maule. It had
1.6 hours on it by the time we finished the factory demo ride, and we put 10 hours on
it coming home. We made the first half of the trip at ~65% power and the last half
nearer to redline. Oil consumption had apparently stabilized at 25 hours, so I
changed to 15W-50 Aeroshell at that point. Still runs great and uses little oil after
500 hours.

> Any thoughts from the
> group on oil selection for general (after break-in) operation?

I run multigrade for two reasons. I want the Lycoming additive that Aeroshell has,
and I don't want to be changing oil weights when the seasons change.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.

Ron Rosenfeld
August 20th 04, 09:15 PM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:30 GMT, wrote:

>Our normally-aspirated Arrow IV is currently in the shop getting a Lycoming
>factory rebuilt ("zero time") IO-360-C1C6 installed. This is the first time
>in my 2000 hr. flying career that I have ever had to deal with an engine
>break-in, so I would welcome advice from the group.
>
>Lycoming apparently recommends operation at 65-75% for the first 50 hours
>"or until oil consumption stabilizes." This is to assure proper piston ring
>seating. They also recommend use of straight mineral oil during this
>period, and we plan to run on Aeroshell 50 weight mineral oil. Anybody
>suggest otherwise?
>
>On our old engine, we ran single weight SAE 50 (Aeroshell 100 AD) year-round
>with excellent results. (we fly out of PAE, where it rarely gets very cold
>in the winter.) In around 2150 hours of operation (i.e. well past TBO), we
>never had a major problem. Even now, we are changing engines on general
>principles, not because of any indication that anything is wrong.
>Continuing to use Aeroshell 100 AD (after break-in) is therefore rather
>tempting, but it seems that everyone is extolling the virtues of
>multi-viscosity, semi-synthetic oils. These contain an anti-scuff additive
>which is required on some larger Lycoming engines. Apparently, Lycoming has
>no problems with the additive in smaller engines like the IO-360, but
>doesn't require or even specifically recommend it. Any thoughts from the
>group on oil selection for general (after break-in) operation?

Elliot,

When the paperwork comes back from the factory, it will include oil and
break-in recommendations. I would read through that thoroughly and then do
what Lycoming recommends.

--ron

zatatime
August 20th 04, 10:11 PM
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:30 GMT,
wrote:

> Any thoughts from the
>group on oil selection for general (after break-in) operation?

If what you did for 2150 hours worked so well, I'd stick with it.

2 cents.

markjen
August 22nd 04, 04:09 AM
Your break-in strategy is sound - just do what Lycoming recommends.

The cold-start advantages of a mult-vis are tremendous and the new synthetic
oils are superb with the latest corrosion resistance packages. PAE isn't
terribly cold, but at startup, all ambient temps are cold enough for a
multi-vis to pay off big. It's simply a MUCH better all-around oil for
private owners.

- Mark

PaulH
August 23rd 04, 06:47 PM
I got the same advice on my Arrow IO360 from Poplar Grove Airmotive
with a recent TOH - 50 weight until consumption stabilizes, then
multi-viscosity. I have chrome cylinders so it took about 30 hours to
stabilize.

They told me to fly it hard - 70-75% and stay low (<5000 ft) to
maximize manifold pressure. I used 100-150 ROP to keep the cylinders
cool. First trip was 30 minutes orbiting the Class D airport at 2000
AGL with agreement from tower just to make sure I could land in a
hurry if something came loose.

Robert M. Gary
August 24th 04, 12:32 AM
"markjen" > wrote in message news:<M7UVc.64601$TI1.59232@attbi_s52>...
> Your break-in strategy is sound - just do what Lycoming recommends.
>
> The cold-start advantages of a mult-vis are tremendous and the new synthetic
> oils are superb with the latest corrosion resistance packages. PAE isn't
> terribly cold, but at startup, all ambient temps are cold enough for a
> multi-vis to pay off big. It's simply a MUCH better all-around oil for
> private owners.

Do they make multi-vis mineral oils? You certainly don't want to be
dumping Aeroshell 15w50 in a new engine until after break in.

-Robert

Roger Halstead
August 24th 04, 04:54 AM
On 23 Aug 2004 10:47:18 -0700, (PaulH) wrote:

>I got the same advice on my Arrow IO360 from Poplar Grove Airmotive
>with a recent TOH - 50 weight until consumption stabilizes, then
>multi-viscosity. I have chrome cylinders so it took about 30 hours to
>stabilize.
>
>They told me to fly it hard - 70-75% and stay low (<5000 ft) to

70 to 75% is hard? I have always flown at 75% except for maneuvers,
or just playing.

The FBO had me run 80 to 85% for the first 5 hours.

>maximize manifold pressure. I used 100-150 ROP to keep the cylinders
>cool. First trip was 30 minutes orbiting the Class D airport at 2000

I did basically the same, but to 5000 and circled as well as varying
the power settings. (OTOH I was over an uncontrolled airport)

>AGL with agreement from tower just to make sure I could land in a
>hurry if something came loose.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Google