PDA

View Full Version : Frances refugees

Dan Luke
September 3rd 04, 01:16 AM
At least a dozen aircraft from Florida were parked on the north ramp at
BFM this afternoon. I didn't meet any of the pilots, so I couldn't ask
why they would flee a hurricane yet park at a coastal airport on the
edge of the projected path of the storm.

I realize that the storm probably will be much weakened in the unlikely
event it strikes Mobile, but if you're going to all that trouble anyway,
why take any risk? Why not go further inland to Montgomery, for
example?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

G.R. Patterson III
September 3rd 04, 01:37 AM
Dan Luke wrote:

> Why not go further inland to Montgomery, for
> example?

Perhaps Montgomery is full by now? Just a thought -- I have no idea if it is.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.

tony roberts
September 3rd 04, 05:10 AM
I don't know the relationship between BFM & Florida.
But I can tell you that I was also in their position last year - except
I was fleeing a forest fire. And there are many things to evacuate - and
a very limited amount of time. So in my case it wasn't go where we were
guaranteed safe with one posession - it was try and move as many things
as possible to a place that we percieve to be safer than where we are
right now. I guess that you have to live through it to fully appreciate
the dilemma.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article >,
"Dan Luke" > wrote:

> At least a dozen aircraft from Florida were parked on the north ramp at
> BFM this afternoon. I didn't meet any of the pilots, so I couldn't ask
> why they would flee a hurricane yet park at a coastal airport on the
> edge of the projected path of the storm.
>
> I realize that the storm probably will be much weakened in the unlikely
> event it strikes Mobile, but if you're going to all that trouble anyway,
> why take any risk? Why not go further inland to Montgomery, for
> example?

Steve Chalfin
September 3rd 04, 01:38 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message:

....why they would flee a hurricane yet park at a coastal airport on
the
> edge of the projected path of the storm...

Mobile is far enough away to add a couple of days warning time. In the
unlikely event that the storm should head toward Mobile, you could
always reposition again. These storm fly-aways are usually a
logisitical balancing act: far enough to be safe, yet close enough to
get back relatively easily.

I was planning to spend Labor Day weekend in the Pensacola area and
fly into PNS, but we've changed our plans due to Frances.

Steve
N432SC

Dan Luke
September 6th 04, 11:45 PM
"Steve Chalfin" wrote:
> Mobile is far enough away to add a couple of days warning time. In the
> unlikely event that the storm should head toward Mobile, you could
> always reposition again. These storm fly-aways are usually a
> logisitical balancing act: far enough to be safe, yet close enough to
> get back relatively easily.

Well, today it looks like they picked a good place to park. Now they
need to decide whether they should stay a while longer.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Orval Fairbairn
September 7th 04, 02:53 AM
In article >,
"Dan Luke" > wrote:

> "Steve Chalfin" wrote:
> > Mobile is far enough away to add a couple of days warning time. In the
> > unlikely event that the storm should head toward Mobile, you could
> > always reposition again. These storm fly-aways are usually a
> > logisitical balancing act: far enough to be safe, yet close enough to
> > get back relatively easily.
>
> Well, today it looks like they picked a good place to park. Now they
> need to decide whether they should stay a while longer.

I am glad that we decided to ride it out, as we ahd a windoe that
required sevceral towels to soak up the water tyhat flowed through it
and an atrium that saturated its drain. Fortunately, we never lost power
(other than a few flickers), so a 15-gallon shop vac was able to drain
the atrium (about 250 gallons). According to the weather service radar
integrators, we got about 12-14 inches of raIn here. There waqs a lot
of tree debris around the property this morning; a couple of friends
lost a lot of shingles.

We certainly feel for those in the direct path of Frances -- especially
those in modular or manufactured homes. Some of them really took a hit.

I just came aback from a party at a hurricane survivors' neighbor's
housel, where we all ramarked at hoe=w fortunate we all are, so, guys,
all give a bit of thanks out there.

Paul Sengupta
September 7th 04, 10:21 AM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> ...ahd...windoe...sevceral...tyhat...raIn...waqs.. .came aback...housel
> ramarked...hoe=w...

Line noise? Damaged keyboard? Drinks to steady the nerves? :-)

Paul

Orval Fairbairn
September 7th 04, 08:53 PM
In article >,
"Paul Sengupta" > wrote:

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> > ...ahd...windoe...sevceral...tyhat...raIn...waqs.. .came aback...housel
> > ramarked...hoe=w...
>
> Line noise? Damaged keyboard? Drinks to steady the nerves? :-)
>
> Paul

Clumsy fingers!

Google