PDA

View Full Version : Radio Tray Glove Box?

Jay Honeck
September 6th 04, 11:00 PM
Does anyone make a "glove box"-type of container that can be slid into a
vacant radio tray spot?

We've got an open spot in the radio stack, which currently has a simple
cover plate over it. It would be kinda cool to use this space to hold
sectionals, sun glasses, etc...

A guy on the field has something like this, but he made his own -- and it
looks it. I'd like something a bit more finished, perhaps with a door?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Elwood Dowd
September 7th 04, 02:55 AM
Hi Jay,

I know one guy who did this with the vacant spot where his ADF used to
be. He used aircraft sheet aluminum to fabricate a bin and door. Looks
as nice as anything else in his (very) nice aircraft. The end quality
of the job depends on the effort you put into it.

Jay Honeck wrote:
> Does anyone make a "glove box"-type of container that can be slid into a
> vacant radio tray spot?
>
> We've got an open spot in the radio stack, which currently has a simple
> cover plate over it. It would be kinda cool to use this space to hold
> sectionals, sun glasses, etc...
>
> A guy on the field has something like this, but he made his own -- and it
> looks it. I'd like something a bit more finished, perhaps with a door?

September 7th 04, 01:59 PM
I had a hole left in my cherokee that I couldn't afford to put another radio
in. When we got the plane (sans interior), we had a lid to a glove box. I would have
sworn that I saw the box itself, but I couldn't find it when I went to use it. Funny
thing though... the tray part of the coffee-grinder Narco Mark 12-B radio that came
with the plane (what a deal!) was just the right size. Very deep (probably about
12"), and fit the standard Piper glovebox lid I had. Fuzzy picture, but you can see
it here:

http://juneau.me.vt.edu/~papenfuss/panel_09_03.jpg

I did have to mount the lid off-center a bit from the tray, and glued some upholstery
carpet to the inside of the 12B tray (it was perforated aluminum).

Anyway, YMMV, but it worked out great for me. Lots of room in there for POH,
batteries for headsets, flashlights, etc. You should be able to get the tray from a
salvage yard or moldy-old FBO garage junk pile.

-Cory

Jay
Honeck > wrote:
: Does anyone make a "glove box"-type of container that can be slid into a
: vacant radio tray spot?

: We've got an open spot in the radio stack, which currently has a simple
: cover plate over it. It would be kinda cool to use this space to hold
: sectionals, sun glasses, etc...

: A guy on the field has something like this, but he made his own -- and it
: looks it. I'd like something a bit more finished, perhaps with a door?
: --
: Jay Honeck
: Iowa City, IA
: Pathfinder N56993
: www.AlexisParkInn.com
: "Your Aviation Destination"

* Cory Papenfuss *

Jay Honeck
September 7th 04, 05:35 PM
> Anyway, YMMV, but it worked out great for me. Lots of room in
> there for POH,
> batteries for headsets, flashlights, etc. You should be able to get the
> tray from a
> salvage yard or moldy-old FBO garage junk pile.

This sounds perfect.

You say there is a "standard Piper glove box lid"? I've never heard of
that!

Did Pipers originally come with glove boxes?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

john smith
September 7th 04, 05:52 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:
> This sounds perfect
> You say there is a "standard Piper glove box lid"?
> I've never heard of that
> Did Pipers originally come with glove boxes?

Yeah... Pacers, TriPacers, Colts,...

Jay Masino
September 7th 04, 06:44 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
> You say there is a "standard Piper glove box lid"? I've never heard of
> that!

> Did Pipers originally come with glove boxes?

Older Cherokee 140s, like mine, had one all the way over on the right
hand side. They we're "conveniently" the same width as a radio stack, so
you could always expand into that area. I removed my glove box when I
installed my KNS-80 and stormscope. I know I have my old glove box and
door somewhere, but I'd have to root around the attic.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Jay Masino
September 7th 04, 10:56 PM
Here's a few pictures of my old one...
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/IMG_0047.JPG
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/IMG_0048.JPG

It's a little F'ed up, but you could probably salvage the little Piper
insignia, small piano hinge and grab handle if you want. It measures 6.5"
wide and 6.25" tall. If you're interested, I'll stick it in one of those
little padded envelopes at the post office and send it to you.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

Jay Honeck
September 8th 04, 04:07 AM
> Older Cherokee 140s, like mine, had one all the way over on the right
> hand side. They we're "conveniently" the same width as a radio stack, so
> you could always expand into that area. I removed my glove box when I
> installed my KNS-80 and stormscope. I know I have my old glove box and
> door somewhere, but I'd have to root around the attic.

Does it mount the same way as a radio tray?

I just ordered the sectionals to fly to Reno yesterday, so I'll be fighting
the "paper tornado" in a week or two -- it sure sounds like a handy place to
keep that kind of stuff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
September 8th 04, 04:10 AM
> It's a little F'ed up, but you could probably salvage the little Piper
> insignia, small piano hinge and grab handle if you want. It measures 6.5"
> wide and 6.25" tall. If you're interested, I'll stick it in one of those
> little padded envelopes at the post office and send it to you.

Whoa -- thanks, but that's quite a bit taller than the standard radio "hole"
I've got open in my panel.

Were the original Piper glove boxes TWO radios tall, or were the old radios
just that much taller than today's?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ron Wanttaja
September 8th 04, 04:26 AM
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 03:10:46 GMT, "Jay Honeck" >
wrote:

>> It's a little F'ed up, but you could probably salvage the little Piper
>> insignia, small piano hinge and grab handle if you want. It measures 6.5"
>> wide and 6.25" tall. If you're interested, I'll stick it in one of those
>> little padded envelopes at the post office and send it to you.
>
>Whoa -- thanks, but that's quite a bit taller than the standard radio "hole"
>I've got open in my panel.
>
>Were the original Piper glove boxes TWO radios tall, or were the old radios
>just that much taller than today's?

Well, my Narco Omnigator Mk II is about five and a half inches high, and my
Lear RT-10 is five. Given these are tube-type radios, I can see giving a
bit extra space to let the heat out....

Ron Wanttaja

tom418
September 8th 04, 11:46 AM
My Seneca1 has a glove box on the right hand side, in lieu of co-pilot
instruments.
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
> > Anyway, YMMV, but it worked out great for me. Lots of room in
> > there for POH,
> > batteries for headsets, flashlights, etc. You should be able to get the
> > tray from a
> > salvage yard or moldy-old FBO garage junk pile.
>
> This sounds perfect.
>
> You say there is a "standard Piper glove box lid"? I've never heard of
> that!
>
> Did Pipers originally come with glove boxes?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Masino
September 8th 04, 12:00 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
> Whoa -- thanks, but that's quite a bit taller than the standard radio "hole"
> I've got open in my panel.
> Were the original Piper glove boxes TWO radios tall, or were the old radios
> just that much taller than today's?

Actually, that door has been cut down. It was taller. If you look at the
right side of http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel3.JPG you'll see
that my KNS-80 and my Stormscope are located in the old glove compartment
area.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

September 8th 04, 03:22 PM
They must have made at least two different sizes, because the one you have is
larger than mine. I have no idea where or which type of plane it came with, but mine
had the lid in the pile of interior parts I got with the plane. I'm assuming it was
stock with it ('69 -140).

Like I said, it fit the Mark12B radio tray so it's about 4" tall and standard
radio width.

-Cory

Jay Masino > wrote:
: Jay Honeck > wrote:
: > Whoa -- thanks, but that's quite a bit taller than the standard radio "hole"
: > I've got open in my panel.
: > Were the original Piper glove boxes TWO radios tall, or were the old radios
: > just that much taller than today's?

: Actually, that door has been cut down. It was taller. If you look at the
: right side of http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel3.JPG you'll see
: that my KNS-80 and my Stormscope are located in the old glove compartment
: area.

: --- Jay

: --
: __!__
: Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
: http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
: http://www.oceancityairport.com
: http://www.oc-adolfos.com

* Cory Papenfuss *

john smith
September 8th 04, 05:33 PM
Find someone with a small sheet metal break and bend up your own lid.
Apply whatever hinge you need. Ask the local EAAer's who has small metal
shop equipment. They can probably even weld the corners and make a
professional looking lid over a weekend for the appropriate liquid
compensation.

Jay Honeck wrote:
> Does anyone make a "glove box"-type of container that can be slid into a
> vacant radio tray spot?
>
> We've got an open spot in the radio stack, which currently has a simple
> cover plate over it. It would be kinda cool to use this space to hold
> sectionals, sun glasses, etc...
>
> A guy on the field has something like this, but he made his own -- and it
> looks it. I'd like something a bit more finished, perhaps with a door?

Google